1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets priced out of best players, but GM Dawson will sweet-talk rest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Jul 1, 2005.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Rockets priced out of best players, but GM Dawson will sweet-talk rest

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Bye, bye Spoon.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I haven't watched David Bluthenthal much but didn't he tear us up from 15-18 feet or so in at least one game? If he can pop 15-18 footers, he'd make a great addition to this team and JVG's offense. I don't know if he's a good enough rebounder, though.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

"Interest" as in cash, maybe, but sweet talk won't get us the poo poo platter at Mao Wei. Mo money blues.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We almost landed both Daniels AND Simmons? That would've been sick! Now we have to pay a premium just for one of them.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I knew there was interest in Daniels but I didnt know about the Rockets/ Bobby Simmons connection.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Has he been playing anywhere? Europe? NBDL?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anyone else notice the absence of Spanoulis from the summer league team discussion? Is he not coming after all?

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the interest in simmons might have been before the tmac deal. steve, cat and bobby would have been fun to watch.

i would think we are going after AD. that has been JVG's target for two tears. hopefully we can do a S&T for him and save the MLE for marshall.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

S&T Daniels and MLE for Marshall would be great quality additions! Both would be excellant role players to surround Tmac and Yao.

11. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Agreed! However, they also maybe looking to improve via trade. I remember reading that several teams were in salary cap trouble - I know Indiana was one of them - and with our expiring contracts that could be a viable route for improving.

12. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I think we can get Daniels with MLE. Would Marshall be good for our team? We are trying to get younger and more athletic. Marshall would be a slight upgrade over Howard. This would be decent, but it should be a backup plan.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I feel the same way about Daniels. He's 30 years old. Is that what the Rockets mean when they say they're going to get younger? That they're going to be old, just not quite as old? All in all, I just can't get excited about either of these possible acquisitions. I know they'd both be upgrades, I just don't feel like either of them would be significant upgrades and I hate to see the Rockets pursuing more guys 30 and over.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Donyell Marshall or JAMES THOMAS.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good point - I have no idea. I remember him playing for the Kings(?) and tearing us up in 1 or 2 games.

16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

What about Chuck Hayes?? :confused:

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

CD should be aggressive and quick in signing for a free agent PF coz we've got a lot of competitors.....Last year, we all know how he first stood pat and waited until we're only left with Ward and Sura although Bob is a good pickup.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we're in for more of the same, judging from the quotes in the article. CD's likely thinking that guys who'd spurn the MLE in July will be hoping someone still has an MLE in September. You won't get the pick of the litter like that, but we can't afford it anyway, so that might be the smartest way to go. I'm thinking we won't see our new PF until the beginning of September.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Da Wink- Obviously had nothing to do with Derek Fisher insanely getting offered the full MLE.

JV- Interesting thought. We actually got Mo Taylor that way- wait for a guy to hold out for more money, find the market dried up, and get him even cheaper.

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I don't see SAR, Marshall or Swift going for the MLE. I'm just hoping both SAR or Marshall would consider it to come play here. I don't want to get into a situation where we are just scrambling for a JHo backup and the longer we wait to get something done the more likely that could happen.