1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] Rockets do just enough to beat Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Mar 29, 2007.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Rockets fend off Clippers
    Last-minute heroics subdue resilient Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES — For all the times both teams seemed in command, only to find no run was large enough, no lead secure, the Rockets finally appeared to have put the Clippers away Wednesday night.

The Rockets hit the last-minute 3-pointer, just as they did to beat the Clippers in Houston. They got the stop and the rebound and the free throws. Leading by three points with four seconds left, all they needed to do was foul and let the game finally end. But Rafer Alston smacked Cuttino Mobley dangerously close to the 3-point line.

Fortunately for the Rockets, Mobley was ruled to have been past the line. So after all the runs and even the turns in the final minute, that call was enough for the Rockets to emerge with a rocky yet invigorating 92-87 win over Los Angeles.

"The game came down to execution," Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said. "It's like the playoffs. Who's going to do a better job executing? Who's going to get a stop?"

It took more than that. On a night when both teams threw offensive haymakers only to have the other get up and hit harder, the Rockets were the last team standing.

With 1:46 left, Clippers guard Jason Hart hit a jumper to give him a season-high 16 points and tie the game at 83. With 90 seconds remaining, Yao Ming drew a foul on a cut to the basket and made both free throws to put the Rockets in front.

The Clippers needed just five seconds to tie the game on an Elton Brand jumper. And when Brand got a piece of a McGrady drive, the Clippers went the other way, with Corey Maggette fouled at the rim before putting Los Angeles ahead 87-85 with 1:05 remaining.

That's when the Rockets took over. They beat the Clippers in the last minute in Houston when Luther Head drilled a 3 with 12.2 seconds left. On Wednesday, McGrady fired a pass to Shane Battier in the other corner.

"Yao set a good screen, and T-Mac had a layup," Battier said. "I knew Tim Thomas had to make a decision. It's a bang-bang decision. He decided to help on T-Mac, and T-Mac is such a good passer. That's a nice little play for us. T-Mac has the ability to see that play develop before it develops.

"There's very few decision-makers as good as T-Mac. I can think of one, Steve Nash. Besides that, he's probably the top playmaker and decision-maker in the game. We feel very confident with the ball in his hands down the stretch."

Battier nailed his 3-pointer with 53 seconds remaining, giving the Rockets an 88-87 lead. He had hit the same shot on the same play at approximately the same time for a game-winner at Denver.

"That's been a money spot for me," he said. "I don't make many of them, but I try to make the important ones."

The Clippers got Maggette free on a drive, and Chuck Hayes came up to try to draw a charge, forcing Maggette to get around Hayes while arcing his shot over Yao. It missed, but McGrady missed his jumper.

If ever a game seemed destined to come down to its last shot, this was it. But with 6.9 seconds left, and with Tim Thomas 6-of-11, his 25-footer missed. The Clippers fouled Alston with 4.1 seconds left, and he made both free throws for a three-point lead.

But the Rockets still had to sweat out the last seconds.

The Clippers got the ball to Mobley, who squeezed between Yao and Alston, drawing a foul on Alston with 2.5 seconds left.

"We were trying to foul them as soon as they dribbled or when they catch the inbounds pass," Alston said.

"When I turned around after guarding the inbounds pass, I saw him dribble and I went to grab him. By the time I went to grab him, he already had the ball up in the shooting position."

But Mobley was ruled to have been over the line and given two shots. He said he was so rattled that he missed the first.

He missed the second intentionally, and when Yao was fouled after the rebound, his two free throws gave him 24 points to go with 15 rebounds.

McGrady finished with 27 points and eight assists; the Rockets have won their last 14 games when McGrady gets at least seven assists.

And on a night the last big hit seemed certain to be the winner, the Rockets landed it and just a bit more.

ROCKETS NOTES

A Greek encounter

Assuming that by next preseason he is playing, Rockets guard Vassilis Spanoulis will get a chance to play against his former team.

Greek league power Panathinaikos will play the Rockets and San Antonio Spurs next preseason.

"This team deserves to play some friendly games with some NBA teams because over there they are in the biggest class in Europe," Spanoulis said. "I think it's great.

"It will be nice, a good friendly game."

Though Spanoulis, who has a three-year contract, had played in only 29 games going into Wednesday's game in Los Angeles, he intends to be back with the Rockets next season.

Pain's a given

Having had ample experience with the injury, Rockets forward Chuck Hayes said he knew two things about Wednesday's game: He would come back and be able to play, and he would be very sore afterward.

"I can't go in there timid or play hesitant because I would only hurt myself and the team, and two, the guy I'm going against ( Elton Brand) isn't going to let me," said Hayes, who strained his left shoulder during Monday's game against Milwaukee. "I'm going to have to bring it, and I expect to be really sore after the game.

"I was concerned. It happened so quickly. It hurt more when it (a tendon) popped back into place, than when it popped out of place. It's happened before. It used to happen all the time when I played football in high school. It was a bad, bad stinger. It hurt like crazy. But I'm fine. I'm better."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4670690.html

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, there you go.

3. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

I'm thankful for the win, but I gotta say.. I don't like winning that way. The Clippers got a bad call on the last play. Mobley should have gotten three free throws. I don't like winning or losing a game because of the refs making a bad call. We've been on the other end of that (when we've lost to a bad call), and it's crappy feeling.

4. oniichan

oniichan Member

Watch the replay, Mobley's right foot was clearly on the line. It also looked that rafer fouled him on the floor before Mobley flailed his arms.

5. oniichan

oniichan Member

I retract my statment. His foot wasn't on the line.. even tho wen i watched the game last night.. it was.. haha

But it still does look like it was on the floor.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

This answers if it was a shooting foul or on the floor...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=270328012&period=4

From the replays I saw Cat had one leg up in the air and one behind the line when he started his shooting motion.

[​IMG]

That also says it was a shooting foul and this is where the refs gaffed.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I didn't see anyone even touch Cat, much less foul him. Plus I didn't know you could jump forward over the 3 point line shoot it right before you land like 2 feet in front of it, and it still counts as a 3?

8. Sextuple Double

The Clippers were robbed of an opportunity to win the game. Sucks for them, I now know how it feels to be on the good end of a BS call. Not something I would defend by any means.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, they were robbed of an opportunity to TIE the game, nice to see some calls going the other way, especially the way Yao gets officiated.

DD

10. Nero

Nero Member

I was assuming as I watched it that the refs called it a non-shooting foul. Actually, that makes the most sense, since Cat was only flailing his arms around after the contact in order to try to convince the refs he was 'shooting'. But if he was 'shooting', it was going to be a one-handed, slow-pitch-softball shot, and had no prayer of it going in.

My personal opinion is that the refs got the call right - that the Rox did exactly what they wanted to do, which was foul before any player could get a shot off. Was it a little closer than I would have liked it to be? Yeah, but the Clips DID have at least some say in the matter.

They didn't get jobbed, they just lost. I feel bad for them in regards to how I know we would all be feeling right now if the shoe had been on the other foot, but we have enough losses over the course of a season where I think we got robbed that I do not overly regret the very few times where we come out on top of a situation where fans of the other team might think they got robbed. It all balances out in the end.

Besides, the refs got the call right. ;)

11. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

This would be a good poll, but I can't post a new thread.

If anyone's interested, the poll could be "How do you feel about the ref's call against Mobley?

O Wrong call - Too bad, so sad. Sucks to be Clippers.
    O Wrong call - I don't like to see a game decided this way even if we win.
    O Wrong call - but in the past, we've lost because of wrong calls. It's someone else's turn
    O Right call - Rafer fouled him before the shot
    O Right call - Mobley wasn't in the process of shooting when fouled
    O Right call - Mobley wasn't even touched

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I havent seen too many replays but i think they ruled it more on the floor. the clippers had no timeouts remaining a foul would force the clippers to make both, foul the rockets and then try to take it the length of the court to make a shot or miss the second hope for an offensive rebound and putback when you do not have rebouding position. fouling then was a smart play the way the foul looked was not so good.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Stuff happens (particularly when it happens to the Rox) - but - I thought Rafe fouled Cat BEFORE the shot. If the refs called it a shooting foul they were wrong twice IMHO.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

didnt he miss the first free throw ? :confused: would that have changed if he got 3 attempts? maybe, maybe not

15. dookiester

dookiester Member

signed,
    luther head

16. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

I think it just matters where your feet leave the ground. I heard that if you could jump from the 3 point line and dunk, it'd be a 3....not sure though

17. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

If Mobley had swished both free throws, they'd have a lot more to complain about. As it played out, moot point.

18. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

He did.

He said that the bad call got into his head and he was still fuming about it when he missed the free throw.

And, honestly, he's probably right. I believe that, if they'd whistled him for three free throws, he probably would have made the first one (at least).

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Do we have an official statement on the reason for only 2 shots? It's clear as day that he was behind the line. Personally, I thought Mobley was acting to make it look like a shot when he really was just coming around behind Yao's enormous obstruction, so I assumed they ruled it was not in the act. As a ref, even for the home team, I would not give 3 shots in that situation unless the guy was putting up a serious shot. Not for a flail. It's one of those aesthetic things: you don't intervene to turn the whole game result based on a manufactured technicality. I would split the difference and give them 2, even if 2 vs. 3 is all the difference in the world.

Yao gets screwed by these aesthetic rules all the time. Gets called for contact moves that aren't really fouls, just damned ugly.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not only does he jump forward, but he leans backward AND he shoots from the side. He has one stange shooting motion.