1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron] Rockets assistant Jeff Bzdelik preaches defense-first philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...s-assistant-Jeff-Bzdelik-preaches-9289954.php

hakeem94, Invisible Fan and napalm06 like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I like what I'm hearing, and I've had a good feeling about Bzdelik. Thanks for sharing.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

"Yeah Capela, why not?" reads really sarcastically

J.R. likes this.
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Sue me I have a GOOD feeling about this group. Not championship feeling but a good feeling.

onreego likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't wait to hear from our resident non-believers about 2 months from now.

Houston baby...

topfive likes this.
  6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

"Rockets are hiring highly sought after defensive assistant coach TR Dunn"

Rockets announce that former assistant coach BJ Bickerstaff who was the primary defensive coach will take the HC job immediately"

BJ - "I pride myself on defense"

We have all heard this crap before. It's empty noise until these guys actually go out there and show that they can play defense

TexasRedd and saleem like this.
  7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

8. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I'm kind of curious about defensive assignments. With Harden "switching" to PG position, I don't think it's feasible for him to guard the other team's PG. Does that leave Ariza? Beverly if he starts over Gordon? Agreed, with the currently personnel it's going to be tough, just gotta play enough D for our O to outscore them lol.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

All talk, let's see that in action.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Defense really is about positioning and communication. But none the less, this is just positive encouragement from the organization. Every off season is full of hope and optimism.

I'm excited about this teams potential and specifically how mda will increase hardens already superb offense. I believe it could be the best offensive stat line ever recorded considering last 2 years where some of the best all time.

But defense I would be happy with middle of the pack. I think if we were able to be around 12-15th ranked defense we will be a top 3-4 team. I just think we will be a 18-22 ranked defense, adjusted for pace, and be a top 10 team.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets ranked #2 and #4 in '08 and '09 in DRtg during Dunn's first two years. Of course, RA inherited a defensive core from JVG and Thibs. As for JBB, they were #8 in DRtg two years ago.

But you're right, there was a big stretch of horrible defense when the Yao-era ended and moved into the Scola/Martin era. And somehow, we only got one decent year of defense out of the Dwight era. But, it also shows how two years ago we did, in fact, have a decent defense (#8) with Dwight only playing half the year. That should indicate we can achieve Top 10 rating again with Bzdelik as long as he can shore up our transition defense while D'Antoni has the offense moving everywhere (getting out of transition D position) and possibly turning the ball over a lot, still.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That's probably the worst sports fan feeling. Just another wasted year. But then again it's okay if you love the game so much anyways.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, the worst fan feeling is blowing a three game lead in the Finals, after breaking the record for most Wins in the Regular Season.

So sad ... :(

RCPM, don grahamleone, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  14. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, defense has a lot to do with coaching.

On offense, you can be at least decent if you have enough talent. On defense, you have to have a good scheme and EVERYBODY committed to it.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Bogut got legitimately hurt and they had no premium rim protection and post play maker to set the tone for some the games yet when he got hurt they traded his ass out of there. Green got all the love but probably did cost them a championship.

KDavis likes this.
  17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

With MDA as the coach I'm sure the Rockets will cut down on stupid turnovers and that alone should help their over all #s I'm sure, but I would be very satisfied with middle of the pack defense as currently constructed.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

LOL at these article titles . " defensive assistant coach preaches defensive philosophy "

That's like saying Ryan Anderson preaches playing basketball

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Cue the "I want to believe" llama meme.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

We need to be like this next year:

Top 5 Like #3 - #5 on offense
    Team ORtg 111.5

Then Top Third like #8 - #12 on defense
    Team DRtg 105.0

Then we can be a Top 5 team in Net Rtg
    .....like with a Net Rtg of around 5.0-7.0 range.

I think those are realistic goals. And if we can do that, then we'll be in damn good shape. We don't have to be a defensive juggernaut with the kind of offense we'll have next year. We just need to be better than about 20 other teams. Historically, if your team is in the Net Rtg Top 5, then your team is usually a contender going deep in the playoffs.

I think Bzdelik is going to help us improve on defense. But I think most of the improvement on D will be seen from us clearing up our chemistry woes and locker room drama. Defense reflects effort. We all keep saying it. And effort doesn't happen when no one has bought in, and everyone has sort of just sold out and thrown in the towel. When the team is fun and there is energy, excitement and good vibes & chemistry, then you see defense clear itself up.

Basically the exact same team if not worse talent-wise from 14-15 season to 15-16 season went from being a top 5 defense to one of the worst. Simply because everyone's heads were all messed up. And I think Bzdelik will reap lots of the rewards and credit for having fixed our defense when really it's just mostly from the team collectively having a giant mental enema. But I think what Bzdelik brings to the table will definitely help harness and magnify our return to focus on defense.

dmoneybangbang likes this.