1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets are going to pursue Barry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeopardE, Feb 22, 2008.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Speculation wasn't far off after all. Git 'er done, oh wizard Morey.

2. JeopardE

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

Question is, do we have enough money to go after Barry and break the loyalty that he might have with the Spurs. Not to mention other teams that would be gunning for Barry. There is a chance Barry could do a Jerry Stackhouse and go back to the Spurs after 30 days.

4. JeopardE

30 days is a long time. Honestly the odds are that he holds out and returns to San Antonio, but they have a chance, and it's great to see they are taking it and going after him. There's plenty of incentive for him to sign here in Houston, too.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think we can get this guy, but wouldn't it be nice if we could pick him up and glue Luther to the bench? It'd be like Jon Barry all over again. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

we get family advantage? hopefully jon and rick have only good words to say about houston.

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Isn't Jon a smarter player? Man I would love to have him here. How is his D?

Do we need Tmac to come help give a pep talk again?
    "aw cmon baby, dey dun love you. dey traded you, you wit us now!"

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He can shoot but his D is poor.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Enhancing the WBPS!

10. superden

superden Contributing Member

We can use a spot up shooter.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Really? I thought we already had a guy to do that. I think his name is...um

NOVAK!

12. JeopardE

But Novak can't dunk. ;)

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He isn't a good on-ball defender, but he's a smart team defender, he can rebound some, and he has size. That's good enough, considering how good he is on offense.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Not only that but he is bball smart and can handle. Him and BJax would make a reversible backcourt with him being the tall point and BJax the short SG.

By the way, we should be able to offer him more than San Antonio and stay under the cap. This could force SA to offer him part of the MLE if they want to go into lux tax territory. I think we've got a decent shot at him but if I were a betting man I would bet PHX really put a push on him by offering him major minutes since they are so short on rotation. And SA has the obvious advantage because he played there. Our advantage is offering him more dollars under the salary cap and the opportunity to backup Rafer. But to get him, I think Morey and Adelman are going to have to promise him minutes and then let BJax and Luther duke it out for who gets to back up the SG.

15. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Brent Barry is awsome. If we really get him, spurs fans will hate us forever.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Edit: I'm a moron. Carry on.

#16 Sooner423, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lets take the fan-dom out of this and use some logic. If u were brent barry and u just got traded from the defending world champs. The team u went to waived u and u had to choose to sit out for 30 days and return to a certain contender in the spurs, another contender in the suns with a great pg and tons of open looks, or a team that's closer to being out of the playoffs than in. What would u do? Plus u won't be healed for another 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

He'll sit out then resign back with the spurs in 30 and will be fully healed.

Morey always talk about a situation like he did with lewis He shows up with a jersey and lewis is already in disneyworld. Get a clue and save ur gas money. Barry will either sign with spurs or suns.

18. gta

gta Member

I believe Barry will be back with the Spurs. But it would be awesome if we could sign him.

19. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

What if he decides to sign with Houston? How would you use your logic then?

20. ilomse

ilomse Member

:D used Jon Barry as our negotiator :D