1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Questions follow Swift to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3293757

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The guy was long and athletic, the prototype big man of new-millennium NBA basketball.

He was selected No. 2 overall. He could fly. He could run.

But soon he could not hide the fact that he was not living up to the most daunting word in sports — potential.

He proved to be injury-prone and, worse, slow to come back from injuries. He was a weak rebounder. He was missing that fire you can always see in the great ones' eyes.

In his gaze, there often was blankness. Indifference.

That was Marcus Camby's story before a change of scenery and a Come-To-JVG meeting with Jeff Van Gundy in 1999.

It fits Stromile Swift, too.

Whether it's assorted injuries nagging him or rebounding flaws, Swift has underachieved since being the second pick in 2000.

"I don't think it's gone as well as I've planned," Swift said after signing with the Rockets on Tuesday. "Every year I've improved, but the process has been slow. Hopefully, it can take off now."

A talented individual

In introducing Swift, the Rockets said the same things that have been talked about since the day the Grizzlies chose the athletic 6-9 big man.

"The good lord has been very good to him as far as talent," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "This guy can be something special. He can bring you out of your seat."

Yes, he could be special. But he hasn't yet.

With Swift, one moment you marvel at his abilities, but then you wonder why someone so gifted has averaged just nine points and five rebounds for his career.

You wonder about toughness and why he has missed on average of 14 games the past four seasons.

The Grizzlies, who are led by proven player-personnel master Jerry West, ultimately gave up on Swift, drafting two big men this year in Lawrence Roberts and Hakim Warrick.

Swift is anything but the sure thing — "the automatic fit," as Dawson put it —the Rockets and everyone who's ever seen him suspect.

Time is on his side

At 25, it is not too late for Swift. And with so much talent and skill, he is not a horrible risk for a team desperate to match up with Amare Stoudemire, Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki in the Western Conference.

This move was more than a fresh start for Swift, whose numbers were skewed downward in Memphis by the fact that he played only 25 minutes per game behind Pau Gasol.

This is the perfect place to begin the search for redemption.

Swift never has had a true center on one side and a dominating small forward on the other.

In fact, Swift was the center more often than he should have been.

Here, the things he does best — running the floor, coming off his man to block shots, putting back misses and taking open mid-range jumpers — will come easier next to Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

Swift said the Rockets' front line could be "scary."

That is if he elevates his production and Van Gundy finds the right buttons to push. Potentially, Swift could give the Rockets the closest thing to a complete player at power forward they've had in years.

He can defend, when inspired. He can rebound, if he stays active. He can trail and finish on the fast break as well as anyone in the league.

And in a half-court game when either or both Yao and McGrady are double-teamed, his best weapon — the 15-foot jumper — could make any team pay.

No longer will it take a little Clarence Weatherspoon here, a little Scott Padgett there and dashes of Juwan Howard or Maurice Taylor to bring those attributes to the floor. With Swift, they can get it all in one player.

If. If. If.

"I've spoken twice with (Van Gundy)," Swift said. "He didn't think I've reached my potential. He told me he wants to help get me to get there. It's all up to me. I've been given the opportunity."

The year after Camby arrived to the Knicks, he helped take them to the NBA Finals with a career best in field goal percentage. A year later, Camby improved his rebounding average by nearly five a game, averaging a double double in points and rebounds for the first time.

There's not a coach in the league who doesn't think he can turn an underachiever into a significant piece.

Few have tried more reclamation projects than Van Gundy — Camby and Latrell Sprewell to name a few.

Most don't work because at some point, it comes down to the player deciding whether he wants to get better and win or just cash checks and dunk.

And the checks are always good in the NBA.

If I'm Van Gundy, one thing worries me about taking on this reclamation.

Swift's last two coaches in Memphis were Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello, two of the best. Both have built careers on getting the most out of players.

Yet neither could get Swift to become anything more than serviceable.

This could be a meaningful addition. Or meaningless.

"We're betting that Stromile can achieve more, and Stromile believes he can achieve more," Van Gundy said. "It will be interesting how far he will go.

"Until you coach somebody, you never really know. It will be interesting to see how he reacts when we do push him."

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

While Lopez raises a valid concern, I think the change of scenery and the opportunity to start are two significant advantages JVG has over 'tello and Hubie.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Could anybody else immediately tell that this was going to be a Lopez article just by checking the title?

4. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Hmmm.... I gotta say I really like the comparisons to Camby!! Never looked at SS like Camby, or noticed until now how his career took off after playing for JVG. If this guy turns out to be a Camby wouldn't that be a treat at the contract he signed!! Can't wait for season to start!! :eek:

5. Lance Berkman

Lance Berkman Member

If Swift doesn't deliver, the Rockets have Howard to fall back on. If he can stay healthy that is..

6. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know that the JVG factor will be that much of a difference over Brown and Fratello. In order, I think the two most telling factors in Stro's chase of potential will be:

1. His own desire. Does he really hunger to get the best out of himself every minute on the court? Does he want it to become "TMac, Yao, and Stro", or is he perfectly satisfied with "TMac and Yao, with their supporting cast of Stro and company?" Is cashing checks, dunking, and living off of TMac and Yao fulfilling enough for him?

2. More than JVG, I think the biggest outside key in tapping Stro's potential will be TMac. His attitude and play from midseason, in the playoffs, and in recruiting is promising in both player leadership and as an example to Stro in fulfilling all your potential. Stro's had the chance to follow the leadership of good coaching, but who on the Grizzlies carries the weight and example of TMac and could push him like TMac will?

Stro is lucky to be on a team like this and to have another great coach in JVG, but will he respond this time? First to TMac, then to JVG?

#6 SA Rocket, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lopez is such a boring moralist. All his stories are little morality tales. I don't think he really even likes the game.

You know, there's more to life than sorting people into little black and white boxes, John. Just so you know, there are, in fact, entire genres that have NO "good" characters. We don't always need your white hat Spurs and black hat Pacers. Even in stupid story-line steriod driven wrestling dramas, there is more complexity.

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. It seems he tries to draw a conclusion from every situation even when there isn't one. Just two weeks ago he was saying how for all the talk for improvement by JVG last year, the Rockets don't seem to be able to sign an impact player and that Stromile Swift was very unlikely to be with the Rockets.
    Now that we have Stromile, he wants to lay down his "expert" opinion when he really should be a children's book writer instead of a sports columnist.

He said the same thing about T-Mac last year and he doesn't have any credibilty as a sports analyst. This guy is like a drama writer who tries to bring down the main character only to later make him look like a hero. And if Stro doesn't reach Lopez's definition of "potential", then he'll come out with an article saying: Well, we all had our doubts about Stromile and I pointed that out last year blah blah blah

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I hadn't thought of the Camby comparision, I hope it pans out the same way

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I am optimistic that his signing a 4 year deal with a player option his third year shows that he is still hungry and will be looking for a max deal when his next contract is due. The guy has all the tools, you can't teach his vertical and athleticism, I am hoping JVG can teach him all the rest.