1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: PF Surplus

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gucci888, Oct 22, 2004.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rockets have power surplus
    Van Gundy has numerous options, talent at forward
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy understands he will have to make a decision sooner or later.

A four-man rotation at the four position isn't going to work. But at this point, he just can't whittle the choices.

With Juwan Howard, Maurice Taylor, Scott Padgett and Clarence Weatherspoon vying for playing time, Van Gundy has tried to spread the minutes around in the first four preseason games.

He keeps waiting for one of the players to become lazy, act unprofessionally or ignore the team concept he preaches.

Then his decision would be easy.

But the power forwards have done everything right. Thursday night, Taylor started for the first time and shared the minutes with Howard in the team's 98-78 victory over the Chicago Bulls at Toyota Center.

Tracy McGrady led the Rockets with 27 points and center Yao Ming finished with 20.

"It pains me because I like them all," Van Gundy said of the four power forwards. "If there was a guy who didn't work or wasn't team oriented, then it would be easy.

"I'd just sit them and I wouldn't have that angst that goes into the decision. But with these four guys, they are great guys and they are all very good players. They all do extra. They play hard, and they each bring different things to the mix. And it's unfortunate for them that they are going to have to share and sacrifice so much, but that's the situation."

Van Gundy has tried to give each player opportunities throughout the preseason to log considerable minutes.

Howard has seen the most consistent time, playing in every game and starting twice.

Taylor, the team's sixth man last season, didn't play in the first game, but he is averaging 22 minutes in the last three.

Padgett, who is averaging 4.5 points and 3.3 rebounds, started the third preseason game, but he hardly played in the second or the fourth.

Weatherspoon didn't play Thursday even though he was available after missing the first three because of a strained right calf.

"I think it's great to have the depth that we have," Howard said. "I think it's a coach's dream to have a deep team, where you can play as many guys, throw in different lineups and have strength coming off the bench."

Howard appears to have the edge as far as the starting role.

Despite Van Gundy's current four-man rotation, Howard entered Thursday's game with more total minutes than even superstars Yao and McGrady.

He leads the team with seven rebounds per game and is the team's third-leading scorer with 10.3 points per game.

"I'm still learning," said Howard, who scored seven points and had four rebounds Thursday. "I'm new here.

"It's a new system, a lot of new players. It's going to take me more time to learn the system, to learn my teammates, but in due time it will come. I'm a veteran in this league. I've been here before and I know how to adapt."

Taylor, who started 10 games last season, has tried to work himself into the mix for the starting position. He was the team's fifth-leading scorer (11.5) and rebounder (5.1) last season.

He has started this season, however, hitting only 30.4 percent from the field.

"People would be lying if they said they didn't want to start, but at the same time I feel I can play any role that he wants me to play," said Taylor, who is averaging 6.3 points and 2.3 rebounds in three preseason games. "I don't think he's set on the starting lineup yet or he wouldn't be switching it around so much.

"But at the same time, it really doesn't matter to me because I feel whatever position he puts me in, that I can be successful."

Van Gundy is looking forward to seeing what Weatherspoon can do when he gets his first minutes of the preseason against Orlando on Saturday.

The 13-year veteran joined the team at midseason last year and fit right in before missing the final few weeks with the same calf injury that has sidelined him during the preseason.

If Weatherspoon can remain healthy, he likely will make Van Gundy's decision even more difficult.

"It puts you behind a little bit, but you just have to work and push yourself harder," said Weatherspoon, who averaged 5.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 37 games with the Rockets last year. "The good thing about it is we've got a real deep team at the four position and a lot of talent.

"That makes for a better competition. The harder I push, the better everybody else becomes."

megan.manfull@chron.com

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We have a surplus but it is a surplus of mediocrity. I wish we could parlay in a trade Taylor & Spoon into a rugged rebounding PF to pair with Howard. That would be ideal.

3. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

You're gonna need the link, and here's the rest of the article.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2860795

On the rebound
    Even though the Rockets are averaging 46.33 rebounds per game — second best in the NBA — coach Jeff Van Gundy saw Thursday night as a big test for his players on the boards.

The Bulls lead the league with an average of 48.5 rebounds in their four preseason games.

Tyson Chandler is second in the league with 10.3 per game. Rookie starters Andres Nocioni and Luol Deng also have been strong on the boards. Nocioni averages seven rebounds per game and Deng averages 6.5.

The Rockets have been led by Juwan Howard, who averages eight per game. Yao Ming is second with 6.7.

"We're going to be challenged (by the Bulls) because this is a really good rebounding team," Van Gundy said. "They are big.

"Tyson Chandler is a good rebounder, and they start two really hard-playing rookies in Nocioni and Deng. Our rebounding is a concern. So tonight will be a good challenge in that area."

Eyes on the Astros
    Jeff Van Gundy's focus was on the Rockets before Thursday night's game, but he was aware another game was being played at the same time.

The fan base was small at the Rockets game Thursday as most of the city paid attention to Game 7 of the NL Championship Series.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

spoon will be very tradeable next summer when his $7M contract is in its final year. the problem is, i don't think any team is gonna be willing to get rid of a big man anytime soon.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Mo + Spoon = Brian Grant ?

Rudy T likes Mo and Lamar Odom's rebounding at SF will make up for Mo's lack of it at PF.

Grant gives us toughness off the bench and he has played center for Miami. We could use him as center when facing running teams where Dikembe would be a liability.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

the contract doesn't add up

but i like the idea

7. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Could this be the worst game recap ever? The game is barely mentioned.

It's almost like she already had the Power Forward article written, realized she was running out of time, and then, in a panic, crammed in a couple of lines about the game and merged the two stories.

I realize that the Astros game was more important, but c'mon.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Megan Manfull

I snicker every time I read that. It's an eternal spring of juvenile humor refreshment.

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

LOL!

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I read the column, I figured she hadn't actually watched the game either. Who -- besides Droxford -- would be watching this game when the Astros were a game away from the WS?

11. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

we can throw in Boki too. Rudy likes Boki alot as well.

12. lalala902102001

The luxury of having two TVs...

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

Brian Grant made $12,130,648 last year
    Mo Taylor made $7,800,000
    Weatherspoon made $5,445,600
    together that is $13,245,600

that is within 15% right?

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If that trade adds up, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't think there's enough room on this team for Mo and Howard since they're basically the same player. I think all this team needs now is a rebounding role player at the 4.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Taylor for P.J. Brown

Rockets need toughness/defense/rebounding
    Hornets need scoring

16. DoDo

DoDo Member

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -1.1 ppg, +3.5 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

New Orleans trades: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
    New Orleans receives: PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 75 games)
    Change in team outlook: +1.1 ppg, -3.5 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and New Orleans being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and New Orleans had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.