1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] Norris gets serious ... about winning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3402989

Norris gets serious ... about winning
    Rockets' lovable guard puts jokes aside, focuses on contributing
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Moments before tipoff, with his Rockets teammates making their way to the court, Moochie Norris was in his usual position, offering a last high five or back slap before the start.

The Philadelphia 76ers mascot made his way over to goof around, preparing for one of those typical NBA bits: The Sixers' mascot meets the Rockets' mascot.

Norris smiled a little and turned away, no longer willing to simply be the fuzzy, lovable, cheerful character.

He has returned to his previous job: point guard.

"I've just grown up, gotten older," Norris said. "When I got here I was 27, 28. Now I'm 32. I'm more focused, more serious about the game. It's about winning.

"It's fun while you're out there doing it. But before, I was just so excited about playing the game, I didn't focus on the actual game like I needed to. These last two years I've really started to understand how you lose and what it takes to win basketball games."

When Norris made the Rockets out of the Continental Basketball Association in the 1999-2000 season, he fit in well with their style. He was a cheerful playmate for Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and a fan favorite with an explosion of hair and fun-loving manner.

But when the Rockets' style changed, he was not in good enough shape or serious enough and was sent to the New York Knicks in a move that broke up the running buddies.

"I think a lot of it for anybody in this league is the players that surround you," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "We have guys that are professional and fun, and I think that's what Moochie's turned into. He's a professional. It's not like he lost his personality. But there is a time and place for everything."

Understanding what Van Gundy wanted, Norris got in better shape and streamlined his game. He did not play more than a few cameos last season, but Van Gundy said he saw the difference. The change has been more obvious this preseason.

Fleet on his feet
    His improved quickness has been most evident. Instead of needing five up fakes or jab steps to get a defender off balance, he can make one move and go. Against the Sixers, he stayed with Allen Iverson on a drive and stripped him. Against the Spurs, Norris cut off Beno Udrih for a steal.

When the Rockets got off to a ragged start in the second half against San Antonio, Norris settled them down.

He has run the Rockets offense more efficiently. Norris has played in two games, making five of eight shots with seven assists and six rebounds in 44 minutes.

"I got my weight back down to where it was when I was playing good basketball, so I can get from A to B like I used to," Norris said. "It's easier for me to make plays and create opportunities for my teammates and for myself. The screen-and-roll has become huge. When I can get separation from my guy, nine out of 10 times I can get in the paint and make something happen for my teammates.

"In Jeff's offense, he talks about the pick-and-roll and the trigger guy. His first thing is when you come off the pick-and-roll, be aggressive to make a play. With me doing that, trying to get around the corner with the least amount of dribbles, I'm not pounding it as much."

Times change
    Van Gundy makes his distaste for pounding the ball clear. But when the Rockets signed Norris, the rules and team were different. The Rockets signed Norris in 2001 to his current five-year contract (a sixth season is a team option), because he was valuable alongside Mobley and Francis.

The thinking was that they would always have two quick, one-on-one guards on the court when most teams had just one defender capable of staying with them.

Then the rule changes came, allowing zones and the since-banned handchecks. Mobley adjusted and Francis remained a force, but Norris grew out of shape and became ineffective.

The Rockets brought him back last season largely because his contract had one fewer guaranteed season than Maurice Taylor's.

Rafer Alston looks to be the starter. Behind him, the Rockets could use shooting guards David Wesley or Luther Head to defend point guards and let forward Tracy McGrady initiate the offense. But Norris has made himself an option.

"I'm staying professional, just doing my job," Norris said. "Whether I play or I don't play, I was hired to do a job and I'm going to do it. If I'm in the rotation or if I'm not, I'm going to help my teammates. Whatever it is, I'm a part of this team. I'm trying to continue to play basketball."

That could be more enjoyable than just playing around.
    Rockets summary
    Range rover
    After getting Monday night off and going through a light workout Tuesday, Rockets forward Tracy McGrady put himself through some impressive shooting drills, taking 300 to 400 shots while circling the
    3-point arc and then circling back from 10 feet beyond the arc.

The worst he shot at any particular station, he said, was 5-of-10 from 35 feet.

"I was just getting a workout in," McGrady said. "It was kind of a light practice today. We weren't going up and down the court. Actually, I do that all the time at home, me and my trainer. After my workouts, I take a few steps back and
    just shoot long distance
    and see how deep my range really is."

College day
    Former UNLV, Fresno State and San Antonio Spurs coach Jerry Tarkanian stopped in at the end of practice to visit with his former assistant with the Spurs, Tom Thibodeau, now an assistant with the Rockets.

He also got to see Rafer Alston, who played for Tarkanian at Fresno State.

"It was a surprise," Alston said. "It's great to see my college coach. He looks in great health, great condition.

"Even though we had a rough time at Fresno, I always look at all the positives. Coach was always there for the players. He means well and people underestimate the importance he puts in education and being a great person in the community."

Feeling their pain
    Rockets forward Tracy McGrady had a pretty good idea about how the Astros must have felt Monday after a loss to the St. Louis Cardinals, having been so close to a breakthrough playoff victory himself.

"When it was 4-2, we all thought the game was over," McGrady said. "It was kind of a shocker, but they have a little bit of a cushion.

"I had one like that when I played in Orlando (in 2002). Baron Davis (then playing for the Charlotte Hornets) hit a shot off the glass and put the game in overtime. It sucked the life out of us."

The Magic went on to lose the game and the first-round playoff series.

Replays showed that Davis' shot actually came after the buzzer, leading to the NBA's current use of replays on all last-second shots.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

It's good and all, but don't you think it's funny that players seem always reform in their contract years?

3. aries323

aries323 Member

Lets face it, no matter how much Moochie reforms, he will always be Moochie. i hope he can contribute something until Sura comes back 100% though.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

be a bit fair?. contract year or not, he is genuinely trying. i see alot of improvements in his game. he plays with alot more poise and control now. less dribbling, more passing.

5. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Can you take a guy name Moochie serious?

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Man I was thinking chuck norris but then I remembered I'm in the GARM not the hangout

7. ACL1

ACL1 Member

no thanks!

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have nothing better to say other than the threads title is hilarious..it's like one big oxymoron

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This is total garbage. All this article does is sugarcoat Moochie's failures and makes excuses for him. The reason he gained weight was because he had a guaranteed contract, hence my term "Moochie's Disease". Now that he knows the Rockets will cut him at the end of the year, he's hoping to get the LLE from some team next summer. This is why he's in shape. Winning doesn't have much to do with it.

I have no patience or respect for NBA players like Moochie. Maybe his improved play will make him tradeable in February since his contract is up. We can only hope.

10. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

We'll see how serious the rockets are about him right before the trading deadline.

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

50% from 35 feet? :eek:

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yup. T-mac needs a hand in his face just to make it interesting.

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Remember those 2 shots in Game 6 last year. Finley even fouled him on the 2nd one.

14. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Remember the long range shootout in the Katrina All Star game.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree wholeheartedly, even about hoping he can contribute enough to become tradeable.

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Contract year or not, Moochie is not a long term plan for the Rockets. If we can get him to produce this year then I'd say he's good enough. Obviously, the Rockets won't rise and fall with Moochie's play, but if he plays well enough to earn non-garbage time then that'll make the rockets that much deeper. He would probably eat into Head's minute's at the point which isn't a bad thing at least at the beginning of the season because Head has had trouble there. He's better at the two guard right now. If Sura comes back or Head learns to play the point better Moochie's minutes will go down. Unfortunately, those are two big ifs.

17. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

The title of the thread should read......

Norris gets serious ... about winning his sixth year contract extension

18. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Contract years make players like Moochie play hard in the hopes of securing a contract of some type.

As for T-Mac, it's amazing how commited he is to his conditioning/skills-improvement and the such. A 400 shot practice-drill is a 'light practice'?! OK, whatever you say Macster :eek:

As far as his range is concerned, I won't be satisfied until T-Mac can consistently shoot from the mid-court and make 50% of those shots :p

#18 tigermission1, Oct 19, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I hope he plays well for us this year and maybe we can actually trade him later, but I hope Moochie saved his money wisely because I don't see him in the NBA after this year.

Sorry Mooch - too little too late to stay on the gravy train. GMs will look for youth or years of proven experience - you have neither.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

50% from 35ft? :eek:

Take those shots all day Tmac. Take them all freakin day. In fact, that's where we should start the pick and roll. If a defender even goes out that far, that is.