1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Mutombo's dip in productivity raises questions about his fate with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3793472.html

At a stopping point?

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Another blown fourth quarter produces one more defeat in a season that has gone below sea level, and Dikembe Mutombo slumps farther down into the chair in front of his locker.

"Why all of the injuries?" he said. "Why all of the problems? Why can't we finish games? So many questions."

One more is whether the veteran center has the inclination or the energy to return for a 16th NBA season — the last on his contract — and if the Rockets have a place for him.

"Ohhh," Mutombo said, dropping his face into his palms. "It crossed my mind once this season. There was a period (March 3-13) where I hardly played at all (five minutes total) for six games and you sit and ask yourself why. Did I want to go on?

"But you pull yourself out of it. Since then, I haven't thought about it. My mind is focused on finishing this season, just getting through it to the end."

But, as the Rockets begin looking to the future, new assistant general manager/stat guru Daryl Morey surely will have to quantitatively evaluate a $2.2 million salary and a roster slot to a player who will turn 40 in June and is coming off the lowest season of his career in terms of pure numbers.

"It's a good question and one that I'm not prepared to really talk about," said coach Jeff Van Gundy. "He certainly had a huge impact last season. And he's remained a top-flight professional, a great teammate. Even with reduced minutes, Dikembe has comported himself in a first-class manner."

All of which sounds like someone who's being given a gold watch and directions to the door.

"Has Father Time totally caught up to him?" Van Gundy said. "Dikembe has definitely slowed down from last year to this year and whether he can turn back the clock remains to be seen."

Drop-off in year two

In his first season in Houston, Mutombo played in 80 games as a key backup to Yao Ming, averaging four points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.26 blocked shots for a team that finished 51-31.

But this season, even with Yao sidelined for long stretches following toe surgery and now a broken bone in his foot, Mutombo has appeared in just 61 games, often for mere cameos. He's averaging 2.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and less than a blocked shot per game.

Could be odd man out

Mutombo joined the Rockets thinking they were close to being contenders. But even with a healthy Tracy McGrady and Yao next season, he is looking at a rebuilding project that could have a crowd up front with the guaranteed money and years owed to Juwan Howard and Stromile Swift.

"There's a lot of thinking that's gone on this year," Mutombo said. "It's not only about Tracy and Yao being on the floor. We're not finishing games, and I wish I could help.

"But one thing I have learned in my 15 years playing in the NBA is you go with how the coach wants you to go. It might feel painful. But you are still being paid and you just have to find a way to be ready whenever they call you."

Mutombo said he can contribute off the bench.

"I always feel that if I get the opportunity to play, I will do something positive," he said. "I might not score. But when I am there defensively, I will change the game.

"In this situation, you have to decide which way to go. Is this it? Is it the time? Or do you go on? I think I still have too much pride in what I want to accomplish before I walk away from the game."

Hospital to open soon

One more individual goal for the former four-time Defensive Player of the Year is to finish second on the career blocked shots list behind Hakeem Olajuwon (3,830). Mutombo (3,154) ranks third behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (3,189).

Then there is the high profile an active playing career gives Mutombo for his humanitarian work. This summer, he will open a hospital in his native Congo that was built with a large amount of his money and a great deal of soliciting.

"It would be good when the hospital opens to still be playing next year," he said. "It would keep the story out there. Everyone will talk about it. If I walk away from the game, it takes the level of attention down. If I'm playing, it keeps the donations flowing. That motivates me."

fran.blinebury@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCKETS SUMMARY

'A lot of work to do'

One way of looking at it is the Rockets have just three games left in a horrible season until the misery ends. Another way is to say that's when the real hard work will begin.

"When you're a lousy basketball team, your work doesn't stop," said point guard Rafer Alston. "You can say that the season is coming to an end with three or four games left. But in our situation, there is really no offseason. We have a lot of work to do."

If the Rockets do not win any of their final three games and finish with 33 wins, it will be the largest single-season drop-off in victories (18) in 23 years. The 1981-82 Rockets were 46-36 under coach Del Harris and reached the first round of the playoffs. But Moses Malone went to Philadelphia, and the 1982-83 team posted a franchise-worst 14-68 record and won a coin flip for the draft rights to Ralph Sampson.

Hoping to right ship

The Rockets held a 45-minute conference call Thursday in which owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Carroll Dawson answered questions sent via e-mail by about 100 of the team's season-ticket holders.

Alexander called the season "horrible" but said he believed that with the right additions around "superstars" Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, the Rockets could be "vying for the championship.

"It's horrible now," Alexander said. "Next year I think we'll be great again."

2. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

Mutombo might've lost a step or two, but he's in phenomenal shape.

I think he'll definitely come back next year and depending on how it goes, I could see him maybe staying around longer and Houston wanting to keep him if the Rockets do real well.

Plus, he should to try and make all the money he can for his hospital in the Congo.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Can we add a poll on to this thread? "Who wants Mutombo back next year?"

I vote yes. He didn't get his proper swan song. He deserves WCF or better.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I love the old man. Hell yes bring him back next season!

Besides, if he goes, we wont have anyone to back him up. we're obviously going to be preoccupied with shoring up the 4 and 2 spots that if we land a back up 5 it will be almost incidental.

c'mon who's gonna back up Ming next year if we let Deke walk??

Lampe? or how about Swift :rolleyes: ?

5. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Wasn't Swift the main backup of Yao instead of Deke this season? I think Swift spent more time backing up Yao than Deke.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

the real question is who would you rather backed up yao... deke or swift...? deke hands down!

7. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

If Deke had the same performance this season as last one, then yes. But he wasn't doing well this season and he is only getting older.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Hayjon02 pretty much answered my question.

Swift is a crank.

9. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Bigger priorities than a new backup center:

Another real PG whether start or backup: maybe Sura but doubtful.

A starting 2G: Head can play 2nd string, Bogans 3rd string, Wesley I would let go. Bogans is NOT A SF!

A real SF to backup Tracy, preferably 6-9 or taller. Especially needed if TMac has back problems.

A starting PF. Hayes would be my backup PF, trade Swift & Howard any way you can. Swift is marginal, Howard is a defensive sieve, look at 82games.com - this team will improve immensely if we can dump his contract for any kind of backup PG, 2G, SF. Hayes needs to go to a John Lucas type camp and practice FT's and 8-10 foot FGs all summer.

Lampe - maybe a 3rd string SF, who knows? JVG never played him.

Cut Bowen, Frahm. Brunson is gone to Temple. Wesley turns 36 in November - he will only be older and slower next season.

So sign a new backup center only if one falls in our lap, and after we have done our best to fix the other problems.

10. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Have faith fellow Clutchfans. Next year, we'll have the largest single-season INCREASE of all time.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It would be insane to not bring back Mutumbo.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bogans cannot play SG because he can't shoot. We need shooters on this club. I would sign DWes for 2 years-$4 million before I even thought about keeping Bogans or Lame. Same goes for Frahm. Both of those guys we need on the 15 man squad as shooters off the bench. They shouldn't be playing major minutes but they should be available to come in and can a shot when we need it.

I would tell Bogans we want to bring him back but let him test the market and see what his value is. I can't see him getting much more than the minimum.....if he got an offer at all. If he got a significant offer, then consider a sign and trade for him, otherwise let him walk. If not, offer him the one year deal with an team option and see if he comes to camp with an improved jumper. Bogans is a decent defender. He's got a little bit of a tank body with shorter limbs so he's not ever going to be a defensive stopper. But he is strong and bullheaded and he does get the ball to the rim. He just doesn't finish real well or shoot the jump shot very good. For us to give him any siginficant contract, he has to prove he can hit the 3 ball consistently, 35+%.

Maybe we get lucky and get a top 3 pick and are able to bring in Gay to be our starting SG and primary backup SF. If JVG would actually let the kid start and play 30+ minutes a night, that would be the perfect swingman combination with TMac starting, and bringing Luther off the bench to spell both backcourt spots 30 mpg. Then we've got Wesley and Frahm to give spot minutes to or to bring off the bench for injuries to starters.

I want a bench full of shooters.

13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Of course you keep Mutombo... Even in short stretches, he's still one of the best defensive centers in the league. If you needed a critical stop/rebound, I'd rather have him in there than Swift any day.

14. Omer

Omer Member

I would keep Mutombo simply for his personality and the finger wave.
    He deserves to get up 2nd on the block list for his endurance and dedication to playing over the years.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

With the new rules on the 15 man roster, we will keep him. Even though his productive days are behind him, there is no reason to buy him out or for him to accept a buyout. He'll keep the bench nice and warm but there is no player in the NBA I'd like having do that for us more than Deke. :) If we keep Stro, he can be the backup C. If we trade Stro, it's not a big deal because if the "new" Yao stays healthy, the backup C is not that important any more. I'm hopeful Yao is at the point of avoiding those stretches of games where he just isn't into the game. Deke bailed us out so many times last year but we don't need that now (unless Yao gets injured again).

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think that is because of matchups.

There are so few true centers in the league anymore that a slower true center has a hard time matching up with an Amare, Ben Wallace or even a Brad Miller.

Stro can stay with these types much better.

Deke gets minutes against guys like Ilgauskas.

17. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

cept, deke can rebound, unlike Stro. We still have an option right? Just take it and let him stay. He deserves it

18. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

since yao's minute is increasing
    i think yao can have an average of 38 minutes of action next year
    so 10 minutes for deke is not too much for him to handle

19. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Deke still plays good when he is on the floor but there aren't too many big men that Deke can guard anymore. When we play teams like Phoenix, even Yao's a defensive liability against Diaw, Deke isn't gonna get any minutes there. It's not Deke's fault the big men are getting faster and smaller everywhere except here and Miami. I am all for Deke staying next year but he can only play when the match-up is right for him. Since Yao can score, of course he will be on the floor even with match-up problems. But Deke can't score and has no business trying to guard the new smaller/faster center trend. He will be very useful against guys like Mourning, Ratliff, Kaman, Ostertag and other bigger/slower centers like him.

As far as his health, I won't lie. Last year I held my breath everytime he stepped on the floor but he never got injured! This year he had a freak accident with a dislocated fingure but that had nothing to do with physical injuries. This is a major plus because he has proven that with less minutes he can stay healthy much like Antonio McDysse has proven.

Please keep Deke, he deserves to be here and deserves as many minutes as match-ups will allow

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It's nice to see that there is a player that provides zero offensive numbers, adn still gets love around here. ;)

and I do agree, I think Deke can get the 30 or so(blocks) he needs to move into second...he deserves the chance to do it.