1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Relying on stats to back your points up? What happened to your eye test?

Shooting better? Not really. Lin, when he wasn't sick, was outperforming Beverley in shooting.

Better plus ratio when starting? Pfft. How can you use this as a metric to claim that Beverley is outperforming Lin.

We have had more time in the lead with him starting? Wasn't because of him. It was because of Harden and Howard. Also, when Lin leads the bench, the bench performs better and maintains leads (if not extend leads). When Beverley leads the bench, they give up leads.

Defensively a better plus ratio? Source?

1 person likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We just smoked the Grizz and Spurs in back to back road games, granted it's the preseason, and all some of you can talk about is Jeremy Lin. Lol

3. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Oh, agreed. Neither am I impressed with fans who can only talk about Patrick Beverley either.

4. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I think (assuming here, from what had been going on in this preseason), the Front Office is going to to a new PF, to strengthen the payoff run.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It shouldn't have to be said by now, but welcome to the new normal.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Unfortunately, a lot of these fans don't recognize a great team when they see one.

7. bws

bws Member

Lin has excellent court vision. Again he showed it last night with his getting guys open looks or point blank looks at the rim, and sometimes through traffic. He takes risks sometimes, but he has the best court vision by far on the Rockets. I like Bev's floater, that's what Lin has to do more of and I really think Lin should do the stop and pop 2 rather than always try to get to the rim. I think Bev handles and dribbles better under pressure. Lin is a better scorer overall, very quick. I hold out on best shooter, I don't remember Bev being a great shooter last year but we'll see as the season progresses. He's been very good so far but has fallen off the last 2 games as expected.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Bev has 64 points on 44 shots. Lin has 67 points on 44 shots...about the same. YOu cant just ignore free throws. People around here act like shooting 4-8 with 9 points is better than shooting 3-8 with 12 points because you were able to to get to the line.

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

where have these poster been? THat's been the case both ways. Lin plays poorly and Rockets win, posters still want to the light him up. THe bottom line is neither is going out there and dropping 18 points 8 assists a game. When this team wins or succeeds neither guy will be the main reason why. Be more worried about Howard and Harden's health and chemistry.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member

how can they see the team when all their focus is on one player? the only concern they have about team is if it provides their guy with an adequate stage.

pointless to converse when perspectives are so different.

1 person likes this.
  11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member

Exactly, how can we talk about win or lose when Harden is hurt!

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

fixed

13. langal

langal Member

I think this will work out great. I like Lin more than Bev but we can set a strong defensive tone to start games. It is great to have a very capable Lin off the bench so Bev can play his style and we don't have to worry about his fouls too much. I see the minutes distribution to work out around the same between them and see both of them closing out games together a lot. Lin can turn up the defense too in crunch time.

Asik or Howard will always be on the floor along with Harden or Lin. A good playmaker and interior defensive presence 48 minutes a game.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

The beautiful thing is the mutual respect that Lin and Beverley have for each other. Lin has said that Bev's a great defender and shooter, while Bev's said that he's not the kind of playmaker that Lin is.

Meanwhile, here, we have the ABL crowd who are so ecstatic that their Chosen One has FINALLY worked out. Machado, Douglas, Brooks, and Canaan failed them! Thank god for Beverley!

15. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

Hello, first post, longgg time lurker :)

Lin is the better overall player, but Beverly plays pretty great on the ball defense. I think it will be very interesting to see how his defensive intensity holds up over the course of an 82 game season.

One point I don't really see anyone talking about...regardless of who starts...who will finish games out there... (unless I missed this, then ignore ;))

I don't like the idea of flip-flopping starters...they should just have their set rolls... I'd prefer they just start Beverly (or Lin) and they know exactly what they'll be doing, who they'll be playing with, etc...let things become routine

I'd like to see Lin start, cause I wanna see the Howard-Lin chemistry develop. That could be a crazy combo. Beverly's game is the prototypical "spark off the bench" kinda guy. I think the dudes that wanna see Lin come off the bench, wanna see him score a bunch a pts, which he's capable of but I wanna see the point guard run the team...not be off-guard when Harden's on the bench...

16. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

So what. Let the Asians enjoy their guy. He is the only Asian in the Frickin NBA!

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Welcome! Agreed! I want to see Lin be the Nash/Kidd/Stocks type rather than the Linsanity/AI type. Well, it's not such a bad thing though, long career ahead.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

he'll have to be a spotup shooter next to harden

OR

a scorer next to PBEV

or

a playmaker with the 2nd unit

19. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

I agree, it's whether the two super stars ( Harden and Howard) determines whether we win or loose. Hopefully Harden is Ok. And Howard stays healthy.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nash, Kidd, Stockton and Iverson....

Jesus