1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Lakers acquire Howard, what next for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TexAg713, Aug 10, 2012.

1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/08/lakers-acquire-howard-what-next-for-rockets/

2. ClKent

ClKent Member

Depressing stuff. Has he been drinking when he wrote this?

[​IMG]

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Not sure what's more depressing: the tone of the article or the feeling that as a Rockets fan I've read this before.

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I feel gutted...

I would've loved to get Dwight, but what can you do?

It sucks that we have two rabid Lakers fans in my church, and I'm already getting Dwight in a Lakers uniform pictures & texts on the hour.:mad:

Who knows, maybe Lin, Lamb & D'Mo are the real Big 3....one can only dream.

5. ClKent

ClKent Member

You can join me in my Rockets official drink of choice.

[​IMG]

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

meh whatever, dwight woulda moaned here and we woulda been the talk of espn. exposing morey n us havin a million dwight threads. i think we are fine. just need to tank pretty good n hope toronto does the same. next years draft picks are vital.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Now let me see hmmmm....

WHERE'S THAT DAMN PICTURE OF A TANK?

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I can understand rooting for the Lakers if you grew up near LA or somewhere without a franchise, but I typically have disdain for those who root for the purple and gold, since the ones I seem to run into aren't even from California. Not that being a sports fan in and of itself is really anything I consider valorous or worthy of respect to begin with, but it's just too damn easy to jump on the bandwagon and claim purple and gold. The worst ones are the obnoxious people who show up to Rockets games in Lakers jerseys or spam your Facebook news feed about the Lakers, rubbing stuff into the faces of 'Laker Haters'. They're usually just t-shirt fans who never even lived in LA, or even worse, just moved to LA from Houston. They think that somehow associating themselves with a winning basketball franchise makes them big winners in real life, too. So obnoxious, seriously. The worst part is that the NBA is set up to cater to the entitled fans of these super franchises.

The NBA needs both a hard cap like the NFL, and a minor league farm system like the MLB. Until then, the NBA will be more about marketing its stars than producing actual basketball on a level playing field. But I guess that's how the league wants it. They love the super-teams, soap opera drama and the big market television coverage that comes with it. I don't get why NBA feels it has to rely so much on those gimmicks. The NFL seems to have the most fair of systems and they seem to be doing just fine--and that's without even having a single franchise in LA.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is Clutchfans the Chronicle? Because this looks familiar.:rolleyes:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Toronto pick
    Dallas pick
    Own pick(?)
    One of (Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, Jeremy Lamb, Royce White and Terrence Jones.)
    One of (Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, Jeremy Lamb, Royce White and Terrence Jones.)

for

Howard
    Turkoglu/Duhon(or Turkoglu/Richardson)

Oh well. Time to power forward.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hey, at least he is not spouting the company line. He is telling it like it is this time. I can respect his honesty and appreciate it.

Although, I gotta say, I'm a bit higher on the rookies than he seems to be. Can't say I blame him for being on a down note though, having Howard on board would have made his job alot easier this upcoming season.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Man, that was a depressing read. Not that optimistic. But sure did take me back through the emotional roller coaster of Dwight. When Scola was amnestied we all thought we had the best shot at Dwight, and that a deal would be made that day... :(

Does anybody think there's a chance these Rockets make the playoffs with the current roster? I'm kind of Anti-Tanking, I never like the mentality of trying to lose games. But I'm not against rebuilding.

13. thisiscaketown

So we can focus on developing our rookies now.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Two notable things from the article:

1. Feigen spells out what the Rockes offered: 3 draft picks, two young players, Martin, and taking back two bad contracts.

Kind of interesting how Patterson and Morris are included the the group along with with the 4 rookies. I'd imagine these two, especially Morris, would have less value than the other 4. Maybe the deal is one between Pat and Morris and one among the rooks?

Also, seems that Dreamboat Parsons was not part of the offer.

2. This is what I don't get:
    What does Afflalo (and Al Harrington) do for them? They are not bad players, though hardly cheap (i.e. don't give them substantial cap room any earlier than they would have without the trade) and, more important, hardly the kind of players that make them contenders.

Sure, that Toronto pick, which would have been the center piece of the Houston offer, and the young players from Houston may not turn into All Stars, either, but it seems that Orlando should take their chances with the future rather than trading for two guys who are ACTUALLY OLDER THAN DWIGHT HOWARD.

15. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'm as happy as when Stern fixed the Gasol mistake.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

At first I was happy about Stern vetoing the trade but now I'm definetely not. Martin, Scola, and Dragic appear more valuable then just Pau, but now Dragic signed elsewhere, Scola was cut, and Martin is undoubtedly on his way out. They milked meaningless production out of these players.

If the trade went through the Rockets would still have Pau right now, and he may have even helped attract a star to Houston. And now the fact that Stern vetoing that trade adds to our mediocrity is depressing me even more :(

17. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Pau Gasol & Nene, both of whom we could have further flipped for some nice draft picks.

18. Ultimate6thMan

Cant wait until we play the Lakers 4 times this year and beat them twice! lol

Nash vs Lin Nash will score, but Lin will run him ragged
    Kobe vs Chandler I know Chandler is our 3, but he will guard Kobe
    Artest vs Martin Artest is just a brute now, Martin will score efficiently
    Gasol vs Donuts Okay, Gasol gets the nod, but he can't guard Donuts 3ptr
    Howard vs Asik How good is Asik's defense really? Howard isn't great O

Lakers are kind of old and we have some good young players off the bench to push them to the test if we play our game and not try to match up with a half court strength game against them.

Of course they are the favorites to kick our ass, but wouldn't it be great if we could win one or two games against their superstar lineup just to piss on them!

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

That will definitely be an exciting game.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I thought the tone of his article was sort of glummy. However, I'm excited to see the rooks play & develope next season.