1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chron: Kubiak eager to talk to prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3676302.html

Interviews show commitment level, Texans coach says

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

INDIANAPOLIS - For the first time in his career, Gary Kubiak is attending the NFL scouting combine as a head coach.

As an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Kubiak spent the past 11 years evaluating prospects for the Denver Broncos.

After being hired as Texans head coach last month, Kubiak spent most of his time hiring a staff and evaluating his roster. Recently, though, he has been undergoing a crash course in college prospects eligible for the April 29-30 draft.

"I have to admit that it's going to be different this year," Kubiak said of leaving the Broncos for the Texans. "I'll be staying at a different hotel, but I don't think I'll get them mixed up.

"This is a good change for me, though. It's what I've wanted and worked hard for. I'm looking forward to going to the combine as the head coach of the Texans."

Plenty of work to do

If the Texans didn't have a lot of needs, Kubiak wouldn't have been hired because Dom Capers would still be the coach. They finished with an NFL-worst 2-14 record, and they have holes on both sides of the ball.

The Texans don't need a quarterback or running back, but they have a chance to take one of two extraordinary prospects — Texas quarterback Vince Young or Southern California running back Reggie Bush.

On offense, the Texans need a couple of linemen, a tight end who can catch down the field and a wide receiver because Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford are unrestricted free agents.

Seeking 4-3 defenders

On defense, they're switching to a 4-3 under new coordinator Richard Smith. They're overstocked at tackle, understocked at end and need a bona fide 4-3 middle linebacker.

Kubiak, general manager Charley Casserly, the assistant coaches, scouts, trainers, doctors and equipment men attend the combine. They'll watch players work out, and they'll spend several days interviewing potential draft choices.

Kubiak, Casserly and the rest of the Texans' contingent will interview Young and Bush, among the many other players in whom they're interested.

"I've been watching film and trying to get caught up because I want to get as much knowledge as I can about as many prospects as possible," Kubiak said. "Watching the players work out is good, but you can always get the tape of that. You know these guys are talented.

"What I'm really interested in are the interviews. I want to talk football with the players. I want to find out what they want to be doing in three years. I want to know how important this game is to them."

Young, Leinart won't throw

The combine invited 330 prospects from 105 schools. Most will work out at the RCA Dome. Young and USC's Matt Leinart will not throw. They'll wait until the Longhorns' and Trojans' pro days.

Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler and Texas A&M's Reggie McNeal will participate in drills, including throwing, because they want to improve their stock.

A strong showing at the combine can improve a prospect's draft status considerably.

Some players who come to Indianapolis projected as second-round picks might impress the scouts enough to vault into the first round. That happened to receiver Matt Jones (Arkansas) and cornerback Fabian Washington (Nebraska) last season. Jones (Jacksonville) and Washington (Oakland) were so impressive in workouts and the 40-yard dash they were selected in the first round.

#1 Rockets34Legend, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Its not just football, its how the guys carry themselves...It's like a dog and pony show...This could make and break guys, but in the end talent will prevail...I would inf Vick will be there...Anywho, good to see Reggie McNeal going there and showcase his talent...Will he be a QB or Reciever...

3. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I can't wait for the combine. I watched it last year on the NFL network. I'm sure they'll do it again this year. You can see people get measured, lift weights, run the shuttle, 40, throws, etc.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is that like NBA LP? I really want to see the combine this year.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Vick will be there I believe, they were talking about him moving up as a wide receiver today on the morning show on 610.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What annoys me is how Leinart is not included. He's rated at least as highly as Vince Young, and my impression is he going to be drafted higher. Is it too hard for McClain to say there are 3 extraordinary prospects?

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It's a standard channel with DirecTV. I think it might be available on Dish Network too, not cable though.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why would the texans draft lienart? he's david carr with a weaker arm.

edit: meaning, vy is a totally different type prospect.

9. Mr. Clutch

Well I think if the Texans lost faith in Carr and start with a new QB, they would look at both Leinart and VY. If they were seriously looking at VY as a stud QB prospect, they'd have to look at Leinart, who is rated a bit higher most places I've read. All 3 are stud prospects this year, I think McClain is showing his bias by not mentioning Leinart.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There is nothing more annoying than the same question being asked over and over and over and over and over and people continuing to give them the same answer. I've tried, it doesn't work.

11. Mr. Clutch

Huh? I didn't ask any question in that post and you've never even answered that question re: Leinart. I already know the answer: bias. You seem to prefer attacking posters in threads like these.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The only attribute it appears ML has over VY is familarity with a pro style offense and more experience throwing from the pocket. VY has a stronger arm, has a stronger body, is faster, has taken fewer hits (healthier), and is much more elusive. The upside on VY is completely different, and much higher, than ML.

Maybe it is just me, but after what they showed on the same field with VY, Bush and ML would be the ones to have something to prove at the combine. Granted being a great college player does not mean the player will be a great pro player, but there is no question there was a superior college player to them on the field.

13. Mr. Clutch

Well then why is ML rated higher? Are you sure VY has a stronger arm? I don't know about that. I don't see why Bush and ML would have more to prove than VY. After all it's VY's stock that has recently risen. Bush and ML people have been saying are great for a long time.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

People, including myself, have answered that question many times. Since you think you already know the answer (by throwing out a personal attack), you're obviously not reading them.

15. Mr. Clutch

I was attacking criticizing mcclain not another poster. In response to your 2nd attack, i have actually read and responded to them.

16. Major

Major Member

Why attack McClain? It's Casserly that's saying it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/02/19/mmqb/index.html

"There's been no guarantee that we'll take Bush,'' Casserly told me. "We're wide open. We're wide open for trades for the pick. The way I see it, here are our options. Keep David Carr and take Reggie Bush. Keep David Carr and draft Vince Young. Take Vince Young and see what we can get in trade for David Carr. And trade down. We're going to visit with people at Indianapolis and take our time. Nothing will get done, I wouldn't think, until the week before the draft.''

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I can't wait until the draft is over. I hate that I have to avoid this forum more than the D&D.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The source of your criticism is irrelevant. VY supporters have constantly been asked if VY, then why not ML, which is what you were criticizing McClain for. You know the answer.

Plus, as Major pointed out, it was Casserly doing it too.

Of course, that probably helps your argument. :D

19. Mr. Clutch

Yes, but Leinart is a stud prospect as well. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the reasons VY is mentioned more than ML.

Agree on the Casserly thing, he's dumb.

20. Mr. Clutch

Ridiculous that he wouldn't mention ML, especially since that's who New Orleans apparently wants. Maybe they would be willing to trade for the top pick.