1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Chron] Jazz sink teeth into series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Mac1, Apr 30, 2007.

1. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

Jazz sink teeth into series
    Back-to-back victories bring a confident visitor to Toyota Center

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

It wasn't long ago that Andrei Kirilenko was like one of those sad characters in a Russian novel, forlorn and bleak with tears welling up in his eyes.

Now he's part storm trooper, part smiling Count Chocula as the Utah Jazz return to town.

"I will bite a throat for my teammates," Kirilenko said.

Yes, things have changed quickly in the NBA playoffs after the Jazz exercised their molars to even the first-round series with the Rockets at 2-2.

Less than a week earlier, the Jazz were telling themselves they could beat the Rockets after a pair of third-quarter breakdowns put them in a hole. Then they went out and did it twice in Salt Lake City by outscheming, outshooting and simply outworking the Rockets.

"I think a little bit of the pressure is on them right now," said Jazz center Mehmet Okur, who on the defensive end has been like a hair shirt on Yao Ming. "We did a great job the last couple of games.

"While it is true that they still have the home-court advantage, I believe we have sent them a message: 'We are still here.' Now we see what happens."

Mojo rising
    Suddenly, this is a Jazz team that has rediscovered its confidence, has regained its mojo and will try to rearrange the furniture to make the Rockets just as uncomfortable in their own surroundings at Toyota Center.

"We're very confident," said Utah forward Carlos Boozer. "Obviously, we feel like our formula's working."

Added guard Derek Fisher: "We feel like we have a little bit better of a blueprint of how we can be successful against them. We understand the things we need to do on offense and exactly what has to happen on defense.

"We actually went out onto the floor and did it for four quarters in the last two games as proof."

With Deron Williams leading the way on offense, the Jazz swarmed to the basket like ants at a picnic, drawing fouls and creating opportunities to score. For the first time in the series, Utah shot more free throws than the Rockets in Game 4.

On the defensive end, Okur continues to push and shove Yao just a step or two out of his comfort zone on the low block, and a rotating cast of defenders keeps challenging Tracy McGrady to beat them with shots from the perimeter.

"I don't think we've had that much success, other than the fact that he's missed some shots," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "If you're going to be honest about it, he's shot the ball. And sometimes you get into a rhythm; sometimes you're out of it."

If Sloan were a cat, he'd have been sitting behind the microphone with the canary's feathers hanging from the corners of his mouth. For the Jazz would be more than happy to see McGrady spend the rest of the series shooting a preponderance of jumpers instead of going to the hoop.

"I think (McGrady) is being asked to do a lot," Fisher said. "He's not necessarily out of rhythm, out of sorts. I think it's a case of us making it difficult for him to get into the spots where he likes to operate. The guys guarding him are all trying to make him work."

T-Mac's burden grows
    The burden of that work increases exponentially each game for any player who enters a playoff series saying it's all on him.

"It's not tough to say that," Fisher said. "But it's tough to back it up. I think it's tough for any one guy these days in this league, or at any point in the NBA, to carry the entire load.

"It's not possible. It's an extremely difficult task. When you think of past champions, of course, the stars are gonna be the stars. But there have always been the other guys to make plays and make shots that make a difference. Hopefully, we can be the team that has more of those guys as this series goes on.

"Guys motivate themselves in different ways. I think (McGrady's) just conscious of the fact that he wants to advance. He hasn't advanced before. But no matter how much pressure you put on yourself, this is a team game."

There are all sorts of numbers to consider. On one hand, the Jazz have lost 16 of their last 17 road playoff games. On the other, the Rockets' big two of Yao and McGrady know they blew a 2-0 lead to Dallas on their last trip to the playoffs in 2005. But numbers only reflect the past.

The Jazz claim there was never a breakdown in their locker room after the first two games, never a seed of doubt. It was only a matter of getting back the spark. The, uh, hunger.

"I will bite hard," said Kirilenko. "I will be all over anybody."

fran.blinebury@chron.com
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4759958.html

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Kirilenko is kind of a weird dude

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

For emphasis.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]