1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[CHRON] Harry Potter Book Review

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ok, the review is interesting. Read it. There are no spoilers. But, the last line will freak you out and has nothing to do with the book. But, you have to get through the review first or it won't have any impact.

BOOK REVIEW
    In light of dark turn, Harry still brilliant
    By ROSALIND CASEY

It was released on Friday at midnight, and many fans have already read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
    ADVERTISEMENT

They sped through the comparatively brief 652 pages, immersed in the euphoria of reading J.K. Rowling in top form. They made crazy predictions based on precisely placed clues. Now the disappointment may be setting in.

If the book's conclusion smells faintly of letdown, the opening is nothing of the sort. Half-Blood Prince begins with a chapter Rowling says she has been trying to use for years, and it has finally found its rightful place in the series. The conversation between Britain's Prime Minister and the wizarding world's Minister of Magic provides not only a very clever plot review, but also an example of the half-comically bizarre, half-earnest writing that defines Rowling's style.

The style and mood always have been among the series' strong points, especially in the early books. Book 6 is no exception: Rowling sets a vivid, distinctive tone sure to swallow readers back into the page-turning world of Harry Potter. It retains the school-days jollity and wordplay of previous books, while including darker, more mature undertones.

Another of Rowling's strengths is her characterization and her gift for subtly and skillfully aging her protagonists. Now 16, Harry has matured considerably from the awkward boy of Sorcerer's Stone and the snappish, brooding adolescent of Order of the Phoenix. It's the same Harry, still stubborn, still hot-headed, still leaping to act on brilliant ideas that may or may not actually work, still sassing teachers, and, ultimately, still lovable. But Harry now understands more about himself and his peers. His harebrained schemes are slightly better thought out, his behavior slightly more disciplined, his crushes decidedly more mature. When, about halfway through the book, someone refers to Harry in typical British manner as a man, it is finally possible for readers to agree.

Other characters are equally well-developed, including Ron and younger students such as Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood. Hermione is particularly notable, since she matured a great deal faster than her male friends. Her character continues to grow in realistic ways.

The adults are not neglected: Dumbledore, with all his quirky brilliance and unexpected faults, has a large role in Half-Blood Prince. The Weasley family is in more turmoil than usual, and Hogwarts professors variously react to the strain of battling Voldemort while planning lessons.

In short, all the characters in the spotlight are well-written and fully dimensional, but it is disappointing how little we see of many others.

Rowling's ability to spin complex plots and lay careful clues, to keep readers guessing and elicit "Ohh!" sounds at all the right moments, is the envy of many mystery writers. While this talent has not failed her in Half-Blood Prince, it seems to be on the blink. Trails are set, to simply die out. Answers spring from nowhere. There are questions where there should be answers, answers where there should be questions, and awkward edits where there might once have been clues.

There are exceptions: The mystery of the titular Half-Blood Prince, for example, is a fine plot line with worries, wild guesses, a few red herrings and an answer that can be correctly deduced but not easily predicted. But there are very few of the wonderful I-should-have-known moments so frequent in the other books.

And then comes the ending. The wonderful mood changes and the characterization fades slightly in the climactic mix of shock and cliché. Half-Blood Prince goes out with a bang that leaves an unpleasant ringing in readers' ears.

The finale of Prince has the unsubtle air of plot device, of lead-up. A lead-up that has been six books in the making, yes, but a clumsy lead-up just the same. Rowling seems to have rushed the ending, just so she finally could heave a sigh of relief and say, "OK, now I'm ready for the last book."

This is only acceptable on one condition. The sixth book was good. The seventh must be better.

ENDING BELOW...

Rosalind Casey, 15, attends Duchesne Academy.

15????? Are you kidding me? The book reviewer that wrote this is 15??? There are some college English professors who couldn't write this review!!!

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I just finished it yesterday( i picked it up while on vacation Saturday)...

and I gotta say that I'm shocked at the ending...while I expected who did it to eventually do something bad....I didnt expect to whom it happened.

was that vague enough? ;)

overall...it was good...could have done without some of the teen angst/drama...but I guess that was to be expected when fleshing out characters of that age group.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously, you've never met freshman journalism student.

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm with Jeff; I'm stunned the reviewer is only 15. I was a voracious reader, but I never had that type of sophistication both in writing skills and literary criticism; heck, I still don't.

Rockets2K, I had heard (before it came out) that this book might be better than most of the previous ones. Where would you rank it among the others?

Oh yeah, here's the link. You can thank me later, Jeff. (Just kidding)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/3271313

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say this was the best of the series to date. I would have the 3rd book as second best followed by 5,4,1, and then 2. I would say the HP series is one of the few that has a general trend to get better as the series goes along.

8. Relativist

Interesting. I had heard that HBP might give Prisoner a run for its money. I think most people consider the third their favorite.

It'll be interesting to finally read the book some months from now.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

it would take me 3 weeks to finish a 700 page book..

i hate reading

10. Fatty FatBastard

No lie. The last book I read was Executioners Song. That took me three years to finish.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I got this in the mail Saturday afternoon and had it finished by Sunday morning. The ending didn't really shock me too much, as I had actually feared it would happen in the last book. The revelation of the HBP was very disappointing however.

12. lalala902102001

I'm now almost certain that the Half-Blood Prince will turn out to be guy who saves the day (or at least Harry's ass) at the end of book seven. It's the last plot twist that Rowling has up her sleeves.

This book would have been the best in the series if not for the cheesy romance that was way overdone (when did Hogwarts become Snogging High?). As it is, I'd put it behind Prisoner of Azkoban as the second best in the series.

I was impressed by how much Harry has matured in this book. This ain't your typical 16-year-old kid. You can now almost sense the end of this coming-of-age story. Let's hope that Rowling goes out with a bang and gives us a worthy ending to the saga. Too bad it will be at least two more years before book seven.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

This one and Prisoner are about equal to me...followed closely by Phoenix. Then 4,1, and 2

Like I mentioned and lala(bunchofnumbers) reiterated, the teen drama stuff keeps it from being the clear best one of the series...I realize she felt that it helps show their maturation into young adults...but there was more of it than I felt was necessary for the character development.

*************SPOILER(kinda)*******************

as for the HBP....I really wonder what the plot twist concerning him is gonna end up being...unless what he did at the end isnt final...that is all I can figger...maybe the death was rigged to allow him to be fully trusted by the enemy and the deceased will make a reappearance in the finale.
    Otherwise, he has apparently chosen what side he is on, and as such I dont see him saving the day(or HP's bum)...he has been builtup as the guy you most want to see killed from the beginning, and surely she is gonna make sure the readers get their wish....or not..;)

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If you're into the adolescent fantasy genre, I'd suggest checking out some of Piers Anthony's older stuff. I read about 15 Xanth books back in high school...pretty cool stuff...

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I actually prefer his Incarnations series. ;)

but the Xanth stuff is alright...heavy on the puns and aimed at kids old enough to get the puns.

16. Relativist

I read a number of the Xanth series, but I would have preferred to do without many of the puns.