1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Griffin's Audition Continues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ben Lusky, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

Griffin's Audition Continues

Van Gundy seeks more of an inside presence from forward

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON -- Steve Francis grabbed a corner of a training table next to forward Eddie Griffin when it hit him.

"Three years, Eddie?" Francis said. "Man, I'm getting old."

Griffin, as is his custom, said nothing. But if Francis wanted to marvel at how quickly time in an NBA career passes, he would have considered how much has changed for Griffin since he joined the Rockets.

Three seasons ago, Griffin was overflowing with possibilities as the seventh player taken in the NBA draft. So giddy were the Rockets with their presumed draft-day coup, they happily gave up three first-round picks to get him and said they likely would have made him the first pick of that draft.

Now, Griffin still teases, rather than rewards with his potential and waits for a court date on a mar1juana possession charge dating to a traffic stop on Richmond Avenue on April 6. The Rockets have not shown signs of giving up hope, but in contrast to their public enthusiasm on draft night, they have not exercised their option to extend Griffin's contract to a fourth season.

"I've got until the end of the month," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "There's no need to do it sooner."

It's not unheard of that a team might wait before getting around to the formality of extending a key player's contract. The Nets have yet to exercise the fourth-year option with star Richard Jefferson, still a nagging reminder of all the Rockets gave up to get Griffin. (Nets president Rod Thorn has said the team would extend its options on the contracts of Jefferson and Jason Collins but not guard Brandon Armstrong, the third player taken with draft picks acquired from the Rockets.)

But the Rockets exercised their fourth-year option with Francis and Kenny Thomas well before the start of previous camps.

With Griffin, 21, they seem to want to see more before deciding. But with Griffin, there always has seemed to be a need to see more.

"Coach (Jeff) Van Gundy probably wants to see what I can do, see what kind of player I am," Griffin said of the delay in picking up the option, which is worth $2,937,205, on his contract's fourth season. "It's not a concern. I'll know about the contract when the time comes. I'm just playing, letting everything fall into place.

"Nobody has said anything to me or my agent about it. I don't think about it. But I do want them to do it."

But Griffin insisted he had not given his contract status a thought, much less let it become a distraction. He said he also would not concern himself with his court case until he must. His agent, Arn Tellum, and attorney, Rusty Hardin, did not return calls Friday.

For now, Griffin can worry about bringing his offensive game in from the 3-point line.

Griffin, a 6-10, 232-pound power forward, has taken more than a third of his shots from beyond the 3-point line. Shooting 33.1 percent on 3-pointers for his career might be acceptable, but as a power forward, he is expected to shoot better than the 38.3 percent he has shot in two seasons. By moving inside, he might also be able to grab more than his average of 1.7 offensive rebounds per game.

"I like Eddie," Van Gundy said. "It wasn't wrong what he did. He shot 33 percent from the 3. For how they wanted to play, that was good for him and them. I just want for us to have his head under the basket a little more. (That's) not to say he's not going to take some 17-, 18-foot jumpers, because I think he will.

"I want him to become a little more of a paint player, too, so he's got versatility so he can shoot jumpers and play in the paint. I want him on the offensive boards a little more. It's difficult if you're spacing beyond the 3-point line."

But Van Gundy said he had not seen enough in Griffin's summer workouts, early camp or Friday's first full-squad workouts to have a feeling whether Griffin can make that adjustment.

Griffin said he was open to the change. Though he seemed to miss his old friend the 3-pointer, Griffin said he has prepared to find his shots in the lane.

"He told me right off the bat he didn't want me shooting 3s," Griffin said. "That's really what I was doing my first two years. He told me he wanted me inside. I feel like I can shoot 3s, but that's not what he wants. I'll do what he wants. I can play that way, too.

"Hopefully, I can get more plays down low. I think I'm ready to do some work on the box this year, and hopefully they feel the same way."

It was not clear how the Rockets feel. But if his contract status is any indication, as Griffin enters his third season they are trying to make up their minds.

2. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

Didnt see this posted yet, if it is, nevermind. I like Griff's attitude. He seems to be thinking about the team.

3. Absolut_RoxFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.