1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com Rockets face tougher roster decisions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dnjndmrc5, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Rockets face tough roster decisions
    Forward Muoneke among players hoping to stick with team
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

Nadubem "Gabe" Muoneke has tried to pick out a sign, perhaps read an expression on Jeff Van Gundy's face in search of a hint of what will be. He has seen nothing.

"He has a poker face," Muoneke said. "I have no idea."

Alex Scales and Mike Wilks wondered what the news would be, wished each other luck, and then tried to forget the subject entirely.

"We talked about it," Wilks said. "We wished the best for each of us. We know that we worked hard. We did our best."

Today, they likely will learn if that is enough. While Yao Ming scored 29 points and grabbed nine rebounds in 28 minutes to lead the Rockets to a 102-79 win over the Nuggets at Toyota Center on Wednesday night, the players at the end of the bench might have played to extend their stay with the Rockets.

Teams have until Monday to set their regular-season rosters, but most will make cuts by 5 p.m. today to allow players to clear waivers by Monday's deadline.

With 12 players holding guaranteed contracts, including suspended forward Eddie Griffin, the Rockets have 18 players on the roster and difficult decisions to make.

Griffin's absence complicates the Rockets' decisions, but his willingness to skip a game and a practice, earning his indefinite suspension, is especially disconcerting to the players sweating out every chance they can find.

"Sometimes it doesn't work out that way," Muoneke said. "People who are treated the best don't appreciate it. But it's not up to me; it's up to God. If somebody doesn't want it, I look at it like what would I do to get what you have."

The Rockets don't seem in any rush to get Griffin back. Van Gundy said there is nothing new on Griffin's situation. With Griffin missing his third preseason game (his second while suspended), forward Torraye Braggs picked up the bulk of the open playing time.

"I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out myself," Van Gundy said when asked if Braggs might be able to contribute, at least while Griffin is out. "He plays hard, a little undersized. I guess I have to figure that out tonight."

Braggs, who had three points, three rebounds and three assists in 22 minutes, said he was still frustrated with his play, saying he was pressing on the eve of the expected roster cuts.

"I'm still making mistakes, which I don't understand, because I know this stuff backwards and forwards," Braggs said. "I guess I'm putting too much pressure on myself. There's no excuse for this. I've just got to relax and play my game and not worry about what happens. I know I've done pretty well while I'm here. Whether that's good enough is in someone else's hands."

Anthony "Pig" Miller played nine minutes, all in the first half, grabbing three rebounds.

"Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of time with him," Van Gundy said. "I tried to get him some time tonight to try to evaluate. It's so hard. We have to make decisions by tomorrow. It's not easy."

Muoneke saw his first playing time in three games with 6:27 left. By then, Rockets second-year forward Bostjan Nachbar was the only starter on the court for either team. Muoneke immediately hit a pull-up jumper and scored nine points in six minutes.

"He's done fine," Van Gundy said. "He's a hard competitor. He really wants to make a team. He's on the cusp. Right now, the place to be is at (power forward) if you're trying to edge your way on the team. In that way, it's going to be difficult for him. What I like is he's done everything he can. Whether it's his time or not, I can't say."

The Rockets cannot cut Ben Davis because he is injured. But his injury will also prevent him from filling Griffin's void.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson and Van Gundy face decisions at several positions with guard Eric Piatkowski likely out through the first week of the regular season. Forward Adrian Griffin has increased his workload but still has not been cleared for full duty at practice and has not played a preseason game.

"We have so many injuries. It's really hard," Dawson said. "We're not going to make a snap decision. There will be some movement."

A preseason that began with Van Gundy giving his non-guaranteed players long minutes might have ended for some on Wednesday from the bench.

"I feel for guys in (that) position," Van Gundy said. "I'm the same type of guy, just in coaching. It wasn't easy. It's not easy. I do feel for those guys. I have a lot of respect for those guys, what they're trying to accomplish."

However, Van Gundy said he wanted to substitute with preparing for the season, rather than offering a last tryout, in mind.

"You can only live the days you have," Scales said. "If that day comes, it comes. If it doesn't, great. You can't worry about that. If I make it, that would feel great."

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man, not only would it suck to wonder if you're going to play in the league this year or be in the nbdl/sign 10 day contracts, but guaranteed minimum nba money is huge. that's gotta suck sweating out that much money and financial security. i haven't seen the games but scales has been raved about on here and gabe went to UT and wilkes to rice so i'd say i'm rooting for them.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see the full context of that quote.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope Gabe makes it. I emailed him about trying out for the Rockets a couple years ago and he said he had contacted them. I was and am a big fan of Gabes. Do it, Gundy...he's your type of player.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

"The Rockets cannot cut Ben Davis because he is injured. But his injury will also prevent him from filling Griffin's void. "

thats pretty whack.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Why can't they cut him when he's hurt???

7. munco

munco Member

that's a lot of people to be cut. I hope the guys that get cut don't get too down about it.

8. tariq

tariq Member

Since I haven't seen Gabe play - can anyone venture a guess on whether he makes this team, and is he good enough to contribute?

-Tariq

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, we have to cut at least 3 of the following 6 guys.

Nadubem "Gabe" Muoneke
    Alex Scales
    Mike Wilks
    Torraye Braggs
    Anthony "Pig" Miller
    Ben Davis

Which 3 would you cut? It seems like the guys who are strongest in talent are also in positions with too many redundencies.

Also, why was it so hard for Van Gundy to give Pig minutes in a blowout preseason game? That makes evaluation a bit hard. Either Pig is already in on the strength of past play, or he doesn't have enough time to prove himself (and you have to wonder why they bothered signing up so late if that was to be the case).

10. Thanos

Thanos Member

The Pig is in.

After all the praise Van Gundy had for him, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Get ready to see opponents tremble at the sight of the Mighty Pig's Toothpick...

Only Mjolnir itself could prove to be more devastating. :D

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd like to see Wilks, Braggs and Pig make it..

Wilks just incase Mooch cant get his head outta his rearend
    Braggs cause I like his hustle
    and Pig for his size and tenacity,,

the other guys(Scales and Muoneke) showed they deserve to be on a team in this league..but we just dont have room for em.

anyone else think this has been one of the best groups of training camp fodder in a while?

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

totally agree. a couple of sleepers in here for sure.

I don't understand that Davis thing at all.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

All you Horn fans pulling for Gabe, don't. The guy has serious issues. He was telling Ndudi Ebi that Barnes was racist when Ebi was considering Texas last year.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That guy was a hot head, a ball hog, and bully. I definitely don't want him on the team. Riddle me this Rocket fans, why hasn't Muenoke had a prosperous NBA career? He definitely has the body and the will. He's also smart, a petroleum engineer, at least that's what he majored in and I believe he graduated. It must be something else there.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Oh come on, what a waste of a 'Mjolnir' reference.. maybe 1% of the readers here will even know why that was funny as Hel.

;)

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is that a bad thing for us? I can see how it'd be a detriment in a team leader, but for someone who'll sit on the pine, he really won't have any opportunity to engage in any hot-headedness, ball-hogging or bullying.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

devestating indeed...:D

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's exactly what I was thinking. He seems to be the perfect guy for a Van Gundy team, even though the bulk of his time would be on the bench.

Still haven't forgiven him for making Najara a star though. :)

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you have any proof outside of Hornfans.com for this accusation? I want to hear a quote from Muoneke, Ebi or Barnes regarding this, not some poster with an axe to grind.

pgabriel, from what I understand or read, I thought that Muoneke had calmed down greatly since he left UT. I could be wrong though.