1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] (Howard) Veteran Rocket adjusting to loss of rotation spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wreck, Nov 10, 2006.

1. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4324894.html

Howard's role unfamiliar
    Veteran Rocket adjusting to loss of rotation spot

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    TOOLS
    Email

Get section feed
    Print

DAVID J. PHILLIP: AP
    Justice & McClain: Rockets off to inconsistent start
    Rockets on new ball: 'Still orange, still round'
    Speak up in the Rockets forum
    Feigen and Blinebury on the NBA
    Yao Central with fan blogger Ren Hsieh
    Complete Rockets coverage

Juwan Howard has not been hard to find. He has been on the bench, always in the first seat next to the coaches. He is in the huddles, with his eyes fixed on plays that won't involve him, his head nodding approvingly like an audience member on an infomercial.

He has, however, rarely been on the court.

Howard, who started 80 games last season (17 more than any other Rocket), has been bumped from the rotation entirely so far this season, first by Jeff Van Gundy's plan to use a 3-point shooting power forward and then by the emergence of Chuck Hayes.

In the season's first two games, Howard played three minutes. He did not play at all at power forward until Tuesday in Memphis, then put a charge into the Rockets with a strong second quarter Wednesday in Milwaukee.

Out of the hoop loop
    He was not, however, built to be a bit player, stealing a few scenes.

"This is an adjustment for me," Howard said. "This is something I have to get used to — or not. Whatever it is, I just have to keep myself ready, because right now, I don't know if my name is going to be called to play. This is the first time in my career I've experienced something like this."

Van Gundy told Howard in September that his role would be changing, but then it was because of a "philosophical change." For all the roles Howard has played with five teams in his career, he has never been called upon to be a space-the-floor shooter. But Van Gundy inserted the quick screening, cutting and rebounding of Hayes into the starting lineup in the second game, though Hayes has less range than Howard.

"That news that I had taken to Juwan in September can send a veteran of his expertise and experience one of two ways," Van Gundy said. "He can disengage from the team or try to divide the team, or he can do what Juwan's done, which is take bad news through no fault of his own and continue to try to show leadership abilities. He has and it is very uniting and inspiring to see a veteran get bad news and not feel sorry for himself and continue to lead in a positive direction.

"He took terrible news, and I'm sure news he disagrees with and ... he's the same way as when he was playing. I hear him. It's upbeat. It's positive. I watch him. Those are the type of sacrifices you're constantly asking guys to make. Very few are willing to do it. I'm proud of Juwan."

All that would be easier if Howard was comfortable with his seat next to assistant coach Charlie Ward. He's not.

"It's a difficult situation to adjust to," Howard said. "Throughout my career, I averaged 35 minutes. Last year, I averaged 31 minutes. Now to go to not knowing if I will play at all is tough. That's very tough. I want to be out there on the floor. I want to be playing. I constantly have to remind myself that I have to stay ready. That's why I've been working very hard. After games I don't play, I make sure I'm in the weight room, running the treadmill, running the court, just try to keep my conditioning level up to par so that when my chance does come and I do play, I'm ready.

"That's a big reason I sit next to the coaching staff. I'm the first player after the coaches so I'm tuned in to the game, checking out all the action. I don't want to have my mind drifting sitting down at the end of the bench. You're upset you're not playing, you start watching the game instead of studying the game. I want to be in tune to what happens."

Spot may be opening
    Howard played 34 minutes on the three-game road trip, still only about a game's worth of playing time throughout his career, but a marked increase. His four points and three rebounds in eight second-quarter minutes Wednesday were season highs.

Van Gundy is still not set on a rotation, but it increasingly appears that Howard might find playing time as a power forward next to Dikembe Mutombo or at center, if opponents go small, with Shane Battier at power forward. At this point, he said he'd be happy with any minutes he gets.

"When I got a chance to play in New Orleans — I got about 13 minutes — I felt like a kid in a candy store, I was so happy to be out there," Howard said.

"It's been a challenge for me mentally. I can't lie to you. So far, I've had limited action on the court. I know the season is early, but coach right now is trying to find the right mix of guys to help us win, Honestly, I'd like to be one of those guys. Right now, I'm just waiting for my name to be called."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't see this up here, but how can you hate Howard after the way he is handling the lack of playing time.

2. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

How many Zboy posts will be on this thread? The over/under for Zboy posts is 21. Who wants to take the under? ;)

I really like Juwan Howard. His professionalism is what every athlete should aspire to. People say he underachieved. I say he overachieved his whole career, because he never had any exceptional skills. He only had huge expectations that come with high lottery picks. His experience will serve us well. If not in games, then in practice mentoring young players.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'd always dreamed of reading those words in a Chron article's headline someday.

Man, to see it finally. 'sniff' It's just...beautiful.

5. kikimama

kikimama Member

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I've got a ton of respect for the guy, he clearly loves the game. I wouldn't mind if he slid one seat over in a year or two, I think he would make an ideal assistant coach.

7. xomox

to be clear, i don't dislike him either. i think he's a good leader for the team experience-wise. and i thought it was great when he through the ball in mike....(can't remember the last name) in that guys face.

i think he is in the correct role now.

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Everyone can hate on JHo all they want but the dude is probably being more mature than 90% of NBA players that are in the same position as him. That's what we need to be a winning and cohesive unit. Players need to know their roles and know whats going on so when their name is called they are ready to go to work. Honestly, if he still has his midrange, I think he can be serviceable when we try to play center by committee or when we're going small on the court. It's just all based on matchups and where he might fit in for particular games.

9. choujie

choujie Member

Like his professionalism, but hate his production. Howard played 13 minutes last night, and Rox -13, worst +/- among all Rocket players again. Could have had an easier win had JVG sit him all night long.

10. The Hungarian Rocket

...and Howard's man hit at least 13FGs in that period...

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

xomox, that was really classless of you.

For all the flack Juwan gets on this board, his professionalism is nothing short of admirable. I have nothing but respect for him after reading that. For all his deficiencies, he comes ready to play every night and gives the game everything he's got. That's how to be a leader. Even notorious cases like Bonzi have no choice but to fall in line when you have guys like Juwan setting good examples.

12. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

ALthough I dislike him as a player for the rockets

he is damn professional

And I am glad that we have someone on the team like him ....Howard is chemistry in the lockerroom...although not on the court

13. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Huge turn from this

I'm going to get plenty of playing time and I'm going to get plenty of opportunities."

14. deshen

deshen Member

It is very strange for me to see JH on the bench since the preseason. No matter what happened between JVG and JH, it is not a smart decision for JVG not to puting players on court for win. I agree JH is not JH anymore, but he is still productive and could contribute.

15. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

lol.. comeon thats cold

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I realize you're not familiar with the reality of the situation, so I'll just explain it to you: JH has one of the worst +/- numbers on this team - mostly because of his atrocious defense. That has long been established. JVG made the best decision for the team by benching Howard. Howard's response to being benched after so many years of getting starter minutes is, however, unusually classy and inspiring. This is a classic example of a player sacrificing his ego for the good of the team.

17. munco

munco Member

He's handling it like a true professional. Definitely sounds to be tough on him, but it's very admirable how he's dealt with. His number might be called. Guys can slump and injuries do happen, if either happens it seems like he'll be ready to play.

18. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

You're a dick.

19. xomox

classless. ok. i'll try to learn from this. gee, thanks. maybe i can move forward from here and develop class.

20. xomox

a dick you say. sorry pettinati. if you had given some indication that you were juwan howard i never would have insulted you in that way. my apologies.