1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Beast of burden: Jazz 98, Rockets 85

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

April 28, 2007
    Beast of burden: Jazz 98, Rockets 85

SALT LAKE CITY -- Sing it, Mick:

I'll never be your beast of burden.
    My back is broad but its a hurting.

Tracy McGrady was going to carry the team.

Right now, he couldn't carry a tune.

T-Mac was going to finally get the 400-pound gorilla off his back.

Right now, he'd get pinned to the floor and licked to death by a month-old puppy.

Tracy McGrady was going to pick the entire franchise up in his arms and deliver it deep into the post-season.

Right now, you wouldn't want to send him to store for a dozen eggs.

T-Mac was going to hoist the Rockets onto his fragile back and make like a rough, tough longshoreman who totes that barge.

Right now, you wonder if he had enough backbone to pick himself up and walk out of the arena.

Am I hard enough.
    Am I rough enough.
    Am I rich enough.
    I'm not too blind to see.

Oh, there is so much to say about this 98-85 -- and it wasn't that close -- utter collapse by the Rockets.

There was Yao Ming letting the Jazz' physical style get inside his head and playing timidly. There was the matador defense of Rafer Alston that provided Deron Williams with everything except valet parking on his cruising down the lane. There was another bench effort that was so confused and ineffectual that it might have been planned by Donald Rumsfeld. There was Luther Head wandering around in the dark playoff forest like Hansel and Gretel unable to find the pieces of bread they had dropped. There was Jeff Van Gundy's game-planning and the entire roster's inability to carry out an attack.

But in the end, it comes back to Tracy McGrady. Because it always comes back to Tracy McGrady, fairly or unfairly.

This time it's quite fair, because McGrady told us before the series began that it would always be about him.

Then he dallied around the perimeter again in the first half, only occasionally taking the ball to the basket to score or draw free throws.

Then there was the end of the first half, which summed up the Rockets season and, quite possibly, a decade of McGrady's career. Deron Williams started a drive at halfcourt and rammed it right down the paint to score over Yao.

There were still 5 seconds showing on the clock when the ball went through the hoop. But instead of hurrying to get off a last-second shot by Mr. Circus Shot himself, McGrady slowly walked the ball over midcourt, then calmly tossed it to Chuck Hayes. Perhaps only Capt. Hook would be a less-desirable candidate to take the desperate heave than the Chuckster.

But the was play and the decision made by the decision-maker, the leader, the man who was gonna toss his team's hopes over his shoulders like Santa's sack of toys and spread joy throughout Rocketland.

Several Jazz players ran off the floor laughing. Yao stalked off shaking his head angrily. T-Mac continued to seem puzzled by this concept of the other team using double-teaming defenses.

"They're doing a great job of putting the pressure on us," he said. "They've taking us out of our comfort zone on the offensive end."

It's all about comfort, dontcha know. The playoffs are all about being wrapped up in a down comforter and sitting on a fluffy pillow while servants feed you grapes.

You can put me out
    On the street.
    Put me out
    With no shoes on my feet.
    But, put me out, put me out
    Put me out of misery.

So he shot 6-for-18 on the night and scored two buckets in the second half. Two.

Tracy McGrady said he was going to carry this playoff season. But the ball must suddenly feel like it's made of lead or granite. Or his own reputation.

Maybe after 10 years of doing highlight reels for ESPN during the regular season, he tought it was finally time to channel Michael Jordan and take his reputation to the next level by taking the Rockets to the promised land -- Oh my! The second round of the playoffs -- in order to break through all of the thunderclouds and answer all of the questions that hang over his head.

Whatever the reasons, T-Mac took it upon himself to put the burden upon himself.

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never be.

Too heavy?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome article Fran! :D :D :D

URL link: http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2007/04/beast_of_burden_jazz_98_rocket.html

2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

yeah.

great players come through.

good players dribble the ball slowly up half the court with 5 seconds left.

true story. and i'm NOT being sarcastic.

3. vizier

vizier Member

is it really from chron? cound't have said it better myself.

4. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

LMAO! Some pretty entertaining stuff! :D Finally able to muster a chuckle after today's travesty. :mad:

:p

5. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

Quotes from comments to his blog:

This poor soul...I feel for you man.

6. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Wow,this is one brutal thread:S

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

whoa fran went off but definentley what tmac shoulda had coming after his performance...if he doesnt step up in game 5 because of this criticism than nothing can inspire tmac right now. I really don't know what's on his mind. I thought that this is what he was saving his body for during the regular season. All this preseries talk about 'its all on me' is gonna blow up in his face if he doesnt start producing real soon.

8. chonox

chonox Member

brutal, yes, but rightly so.... by all means, if tmac gets off his ass and produces something spectacular on the home stretch, good for him, but his talk doesnt match his play last 2 games, quite sad..... i really liked this article :) rafers defense for the top pg's in this league is a scary thought also... but thats not the main factor here, tmac is..... dunno whats up with him, but better get his sht together soon and lead this team further into the playoffs, otherwise after all the crap he talked up and couldnt get out of the first round.... :rolleyes:

9. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Couldn't have said better. Deserve five stars for the thread!!!

10. superden

superden Contributing Member

Fran just slapped TMAC in the face. I hope he felt the sting.

11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

fixed it for you.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Have to agree with Fran this time.

13. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Tmac needs to read this ****

14. pli777

pli777 Member

Can we somehow send it to him? :( Sigh, Tmac :mad:

Great article, precise to the point but entertaining.

15. demon77

demon77 Member

This is probably one of the very few article from fran that is worth reading.

16. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Truth.

17. SlamIt

SlamIt Member

Great article, because it says something exactly I wanted to say, only better.

Come on, T-Mac, show us your heart!! :mad:

SI