1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Camp Van Gundy offers no room for overconfidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox_fan_here, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3380991

Camp Van Gundy offers no room for overconfidence
    By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES
    HEAR IT NOW: The Justice & McClain Show: • Yao's long-term deal works for him, Rockets
    • Should Rockets sign Sprewell?
    Requires the free RealPlayer or Flash.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCKETS BY THE NUMBERS
    • Schedule • Movements
    • Roster • Depth chart
    • Chronicle story archive
    • Live NBA scores at a glance
    • NBA Playoffs 2004

SPORTS POLL
    Your thoughts on the Rockets latest acquisitions

No big deal:
    6%
    Swift is questionable; Anderson's average:
    11%
    Swift a good move:
    58%
    Anderson a solid acquisition:
    25%

Total Votes: 6936

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE STANDINGS
    Team W L PCT GB
    San Antonio 59 23 .720 ---
    Dallas 58 24 .707 1
    Houston 51 31 .622 8
    Memphis 45 37 .549 14
    New Orleans 18 64 .220 41
    As of Apr 21 2005 8:29 a.m. CT

Jeff Van Gundy grimaces and looks as if he's writhing in pain when someone asks about so much talent coming together for the Rockets.

"Talent is such a nebulous term," he says.

He curls his bottom lip and squints as if he just drank a glass of sour milk when the word "championship" is mentioned.

When asked about one area where he'd like to see improvement in 2005-06, he responds, "I've got eight."

And Van Gundy proceeds to recite from a list he is holding. Drive the ball better, one-on-one. Get better help from perimeter players. Pick-and-roll defense. Shot transition. And so on. Who brings a training camp plan to media day? Van Gundy does.

He is the one who all but turns green and loses his breakfast when something is mentioned about some within the Rockets organization predicting things like 60 wins or a Western Conference finals appearance.

You know the look. That excruciating look that suggests, "You've got to be kidding me."

It is neither an act nor some kind of safety net employed to cover his behind, should expectations not be reached. This is what Van Gundy becomes every October. This is what he obsesses over for eight months out of every year.

It's about how, not who.

And this is why these Rockets could and should become the best basketball team this city has seen since the NBA championship squads of 1994 and 1995.

You'll never hear Van Gundy say such a thing. After about a week of two-a-days, you won't hear many Rockets say it, either.

"Champions don't make bold statements," Van Gundy said. "They don't need to. Some of the things that were said this summer — we're as good as any team in the conference? I'm like: 'A, not true. B, stupid statement. And C, who cares?' "

Welcome to JVG's bliss. This is how he has become one of the best coaches in basketball and why these Rockets won't be just another team of talented underachievers.

Team concept stressed
    He will strip this team of everything remotely associated with ego, selfishness or self-importance, like he did last year's group, and instill a kind of oneness.

If Van Gundy cannot "re-create chemistry," as he put it, and the upcoming season ends with another first-round exit, then it will be all on him. This team is talented enough to contend with the San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

Whether it becomes good enough to do so depends on Van Gundy successfully delivering the message to his team he delivered Monday.

"Everybody has great summers and great media days," he said. "The differential in talent is much smaller than people would want to believe. When everybody says the Rockets are talented, well certainly. What separates a championship-caliber team is different."

Those who don't get what Van Gundy is preaching or offer it only lip service like Kobe Bryant might will find themselves traded. Or lost on the bench.

It took two seasons for Van Gundy to find a core of players who understand roles and embrace broader goals.

Remember when Tracy McGrady was known as a sullen superstar in Orlando who didn't care and then seemed lost in the early going under Van Gundy? It seems like 10 years ago.

But it was just one.

Remember when Rockets guards were selfish, Yao Ming didn't rebound and bench players thought they were mistreated superstars?

There were deals that brought in David Wesley, Jon Barry and Mike James — prototypical Van Gundy players. Bob Sura got healthy enough to finish the season, though he's ailing again now. Yao became an overwhelming presence, and today, McGrady and Yao are Van Gundy's biggest advocates.

Asked what he needs to do to improve this season, Yao said Monday: "Do what coach says."

McGrady's endorsement of Van Gundy was the biggest reason Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson — integral parts for this season — decided to sign with the Rockets.

"That's always the first call, to other players," Anderson said. "The first thing you do is ask, 'OK, what's the coach like?' Is he a guy that's going to get emotional, hold a grudge or put you on the bench if things are not going well?

"They said (Van Gundy) would be honest. Other teams wanted me to play for them for more money. I wanted to come to a winning situation where it will be fair."

Found his niche
    Van Gundy will writhe. He will agonize. He will huff.

But this should be his happiest year in Houston.

"I know who I can coach well and I know who I want to coach at this time in my career," he said. "I know every player is not for me and I'm not for every player. One thing I vowed to my players is not to ever infiltrate the locker room with any knuckleheads. My time with knuckleheads has come and gone."

Lopez really seems to love Van Gundy.

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Is it just me or did some of this article sound like it came strait from here? I swear I've read parts of this article in bits and pieces from different posters here. Kinda like de ja vu

3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

not so long ago there was this huge long thread about firing him

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good old Van Grumpy, gotta love the guy.

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Yeah what ever happened to "edc" and "Rockets03" and I'm sure there were others promoting that thread.

You have to love JVG's humility......stay humble, stay hungry...championship teams don't talk smack, they kick your a$$ on the court and let their play and winning do the talking. :D

6. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I swear, the Rockets coudl be playing in an AAU league and JVG would act like we didn't have a chance. I can only imagine what happens if his son asks him if his rec league team has a shot.

Son: "Dad, you think we can win today?"
    JVG: *Grimaces* "You guys have a lot more to worry about than whether or not you're gonna win the game. Your defensive rotations were off, the passing was hardly crisp, and your fast break looked like it was being run by eight year olds."
    Son: "Dad, we are eight year olds."

So great to have a guy like this rather than some smug pompous Zen-master. Gimme Gollum over Big Chief Triangle any day.

7. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Must be something wrong with you man, our board is full of amateur journalists, we never break any news or quotes before anyone else :(

Anyway, I can't believe I wanted JVG fired many a months past. He is everything a legit coach should be. I can feel the "next level" atmosphere just by reading the articles and quotes.. a lot different than say.. the steve francis era..

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I didn't realize how much I missed ol' glummy's quotes until I read this story. They always give me a good laugh.

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Nope. No reason to "gotta love the guy."
    Gotta wish the guy were in New York.