1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Blog] Yao's not great, but he doesn't have to be

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by metalshred, Apr 25, 2007.

1. metalshred

metalshred Member

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2007/04/yao.html

I read this on chron.com, what do u think? I personally think Yao won't take that long to enter the all time best center list, and believe he will. Plus everyone get blocked, Yao will probably get blocked less as he continues to improves, but the truth is, everyone get blocked. Hope Yao can prove them wrong.

2. metalshred

metalshred Member

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

not dominant? he's playing against the best in the world every night, and often people can't stop him, if that isn't dominant then I don't know what is. Plus all those NBA greats he listed didn't play against the pace and athleticism nowdays like Yao has to (minus Shaq, but he has it pretty easy with his strength anyways..)

4. metalshred

metalshred Member

I believe he's dominant too. Well as Axl said, you can't entertain everybody :D

5. ysong00

ysong00 Member

seems pretty obvious that the only two games this dude has watched yao play are the last two playoff games. if he watched him at all during the season, and especially if he has followed his progress over the years, he would not be making these statements.

clearly yao is not in the top 10 yet, i agree with that, but i think that there is more than enough evidence to show a pretty clear trend that yao WILL be among the top 10.

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

That's so stupid. Everyone has their shots blocked occasionally. Did Okur break a playoff record with blocks or something?

7. Ducky

Ducky Member

remember once in a game vs the Lakers, Yao blocked Shaq? :eek:

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

the reason i think is defensively. yao has nothing close to the impact of the great centers in the league defensively (not even counting chamblerain, jabbar, or russell). shaq, hakeem, ewing, drob => ridiculous defensively. they were "intimidators"

as u saw in game 2, boozer did NOT fear yao. he took it at yao anytime he had a chance to.

so this offseason, yao has to improve his lateral quickness to do better on the pick and roll and his man defense v. the smaller guys like boozer.

most of it is genetic - size makes it harder for him to do that.

but that's the only main difference b/t yao and the greats.

again, another thing yao should do to show the world more is that he can lead a team w/o tracy on the floor. he hasn't shown that.

but yao's the best center today. but this is his first season as a superstar. if he can improve on this season and have 6-7 more seasons better than this, he'll be up there. if not, he won't.

he sitll has 6-7 more seasons to prove it though. so long ways to predict.

9. YaoMac111

YaoMac111 Member

This guy's blog is simply not worth being mentioning here.

10. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

You say statistics be damned and immediately spew out some statistics.

11. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Being dominate means no one can stop you. No one in the NBA right now can stop Yao.

Maybe JVG wrote this article to motivate Yao even more :confused:

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

He really should consider move to Salt Lake City. He will be worshiped as a prophet there. What a troll.

13. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

What does being in the top 10 centers have to do with being dominant, other than those centers being examples of dominant centers. He clearly never validates his point of Yao not being dominant.

As for the 5 year comparison w/ other centers, Yao was way behind the curve when he entered the NBA. He never played college ball, and some US high school teams would have beaten the Chinese national team from back then.

Most of those centers came into the league much better on the defensive side of the ball and only later developed a offensive game other than offensive rebound - slam dunk. Yao on the other hand was much better on the offensive side, and lacked big time on defensive skills.

Point being is that Yao's development path is different than any other center's. Until he peaks, we won't know how good he really is.

14. TYAOC

TYAOC Member

Bring us a championship,then no one will doubt about Yao's dominance.

15. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly. yao can end up being one of the greats and not crack that list. doens't mean he's not great.

i mean we're talking about jabbar, russell, chamberlain, hakeem, shaq, ewing, drob right there, the very best 2-way players of all time.

i mean, even reggie miller will make the HOF and he's a great player, but he's not one of the best SGs we've seen.

16. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

This coming from your very own Houston Chronicle site? No wonder no players and coaches were winning any awards with promotions like that from your own city newspaper.

17. conquistador#11

:mad:
    He is averaging 27.5 points in the post season.Overlooked is his great passing ability,He sets up our flanks with perfect firing position.

what else do these U.S writers want Yao to do?????Yao is the new face of the game,internationally;and I wish the so called sports journalists would start showing some appreciation.

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The defensive side definitely hurts Yao + Stamina.

19. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Yes I remember quite clearly. Yao blocked Shaq 3 times in a game as a Rookie. So, Shaq is not dominant? :rolleyes:

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

No kidding. It's one thing to expect crap like this from espn, but to come from the chronicle? So many things said that makes no sense it's not even funny. Does he even watch basketball games?