1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Barry a quiet move that could turn out big for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 11, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5882270.html

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

The Dikembe tidbit shocks me. I thought we were bringing him back for sure, and frankly it's hard for me to believe we're not getting him back.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Lots of surprises in this article.

1. Novak to be traded? Interesting.

2. Deke hard to sign? Bad news.

3. Morey okay without a bona fide back up center? Alarming.

4. Where does BJax go?

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

Deke is probably thinking that had he gone to the Celtics he would have had that ring.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i love mutumbo but his time is over. he can barely dunk the ball and make lay ups anymore.

i think that short period of explosion when yao was out was amazing but i dont anticipate seeing that anymore. great shot blocker, passionate player, lot of respect, but there's not much in the tank.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm not saying he's on the nimrod level of John Lopez, but it's Richard freakin Justice. He should stick to the Astros and baseball.

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

If Deke isn't resigned then Loren Wood is staying for sure.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Novak can be traded via the minimum salary exception where the other team doesn't have to send anything back. If the Rockets are lucky they might even get a second round pick out of it.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

If that's the case that's horrible. Loren Woods is really not that good, and Deke is an outstanding locker room presence.

I wouldn't be willing to trade Novak for absolutely nothing. He has a bit more value than that, plus he's young and frankly he's still lights out no matter what. I'd be willing to give him another year-- his value might even go up and we can package him more easily if he plays well up until the trade deadline.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think it would be stupid to trade Novak. At best you get a second-round pick back. He's cheap and a great shooter. The people we have to get rid of are (obviously) Bobby Jackson and Head (but this might only happen at the trade deadline), possibly Francis and Harris. There's no way Woods will be back, I think.

11. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Completely agreed.

And now that I read the article a tad closer, it's just Justice's opinion that Novak will be done away. Given that we picked up the option on him, I don't really see us getting rid of him at all.

12. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Not much left in the tank? If Deke has done anything, it's to prove that he's ALWAYS got something left in the tank. Deke is Deke, he's ageless.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Guess who Dikembe's agent is and what he's capable of?

Buddy Baker is nothing compared to Deke's man.

14. csux

csux Rookie

Now whatever Deke was drinking, we need to get Brent Barry some of that. The exlixir of immortality!

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Rockets re-sign Lansry and Deke they'll have 16 players with guaranteed contracts. They'll need to either look for a team with a TE (3 teams), trade a minimum salary player (any team), or cut the least costly player (Novak).

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think it has nothing to do with David Falk being his agent. I think it's just Deke being irked that he was lowballed in the previous contract in combination with his mentality that he really doesn't need to play anymore and can take it or leave it as far as the Rockets' offer. David Falk has said in the past that Deke is in the perfect situation/team at this stage of his career.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Deke might have signed a minimum contract, but I remember the Rockets (or Les) donated $500K to his hospital, considering tax and what not, it's a significant bump in what he got.

Anyhow... it's Dikembe's choice. I am sure he has no shortage of suiters, but I am not sure any other team is really offering much more than the minimum for him at this point.

I also wonder if maybe they are waiting for the Landry deal to settle before determining how much they can afford to offer him without realistically damaging their luxury tax options.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wouldn't mind at all if Deke retires or goes somewhere else.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

moving forward without deke is fine. he didn't have a whole lot last year and he will have less in this one.

of course, if deke doesn't sign then there is no reason to trim the roster (novak).

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Only because its smarter to pick up his option and then trade him for something than letting him go for free.