1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chromecast and League Pass: Possible CSN workaround?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Illegal Machine, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Illegal Machine

If I'm in the wrong for posting this, let me know.

So Google announced Chromecast today. It' plugs into your TV via HDMI for $35, and you can stream anything that will show up in a chrome browser on your TV, along with Netflix/Youtube/Pandora/etc.

http://gizmodo.com/chromecast-is-googles-answer-getting-web-video-on-you-896777286

Chrome browser will be getting a "Cast" button, so you can beam whatever is streaming on your chrome tab (shady website, league pass), to your TV.

JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE.

:grin:

2. thejav

thejav Member

Nothing an hdmi cable cant do...

3. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

I thought the games were blacked out even on league pass...

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hmm seems like you will still have to find a source for the game (league pass +/- VPN, etc.)

Nice device though

5. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Use homeshield on the PC watching the game, and you can get around the local blackouts. It will change your IP address to another location so the NBA servers will think you're somewhere else.

6. rawool

rawool Member

Unless you use a VPN, but that's a few bucks extra a month.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im almost positive that with LeaguePass broadband, you're still connected via your local cable provider. At least when I signed up, it made me enter my provider information. So if you're in the Houston area, the games will still be blacked out, even on Broadband.

So the only workaround I know would be to get login information from someone that either has CSN or is outside of the Houston area where it wouldn't be blacked out.

I know this because I currently live in Dallas but when Im in Houston where I stay typically doesn't get CSN. That's when I use LP Broadband with my login info from my Dallas provider.

So, back to Chromecast- Sure it will stream anything coming from your computer which could be some shady websites for sure, but you still need local cable provider information to get League Pass broadband for the best quality.

And yes, its a major difference watching a game on a site like first row sports vs. LP broadband.

Sorry.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

As mentioned several times, a VPN should work. I signed up with my Houston address on league pass, and just used a paid VPN (I avoid those cheap 300kbps VPN's) and it worked for me.

9. Illegal Machine

Hdmi cable? What is this, 2006?

10. Illegal Machine

And im fully aware league pass blocks you. Thought that was obvious.

11. conquistador#11

we have the most exciting and glorious team with the entire world rooting for us to put the south beach divas on spikes and yet we can't watch the spectacle without resorting to shady tactics. HSE and pay per view playoff games think this absurd.

12. DCballer

DCballer Member

Another nice thing about this is when you sign up for league pass online, you can just pick 5 teams you care about, and spend way less then the full package from a cable provider. Then you just broadcast from your laptop. BTW, I live in Austin so I am not worried about black outs, but for those of you in Houston, just mask your IP an you'll be fine.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

How much does VPN service cost per month? Also, does it come through clear from the PC to a large TV?

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so how does chromecast plug in to the tv again?

15. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

I pay $40 a year for a VPN.

16. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Slightly relevant to main topic: Does anyone have experience with LP broadband? I've heard that it has a lot of quality issues, but it really, really makes sense for me to get it.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Apple TV called... it wants to let you know this technology is not new.

18. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

will this work with my vcr?

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I got it for two years while I was up at college in an area that didn't carry Rockets games.

It was definitely worth the money. The games are in much higher quality than anything you'll find around the internet, and you get every single game of the team you want to watch. Plus, you get to pick up to 7 teams (I think it was 7 when I did it).

The only problem I ever experienced with it was when they would get the games mixed up. I would click on the Rockets game and it would actually be showing a completely different game. That only happened about 3 times that season, but it was pretty frustrating when it did.

With that being said, though, the cost seems like a lot at first, but I absolutely loved having LP Broadband.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have Roku and it works only half of the time. I would prefer this as it would be another box I could get rid of off of my receiver.