1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chow, Sherman Will Interview for Cardinals HC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 1, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Titans grant Cardinals permission to speak with Chow

By JIM WYATT
    Staff Writer

Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow is a candidate to be the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, who fired Dennis Green on Monday.

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Monday night that the Cardinals had contacted the Titans and were granted permission to speak with Chow. Fisher had no other comment.

Chow, who just finished his second season with Tennessee, coached Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart at Southern Cal, and his handling of rookie quarterback Vince Young this season has earned him national recognition.

The Titans recently exercised the one-year option on Chow's contact, although that would not prohibit him from interviewing for a head coaching job.

Texans assistant coach Mike Sherman is scheduled to be interviewed for the Arizona job on Thursday, and five other NFL assistants have also been identified as potential hires.

The Cardinals are also interested in Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Colts assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm, and Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070101/SPORTS01/70101017/1027

2. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Crap!

Leave Normie ALONE! We're on the brink. The brink, I tells ya!

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Texans assistant coach Mike Sherman is scheduled to be interviewed for the Arizona job on Thursday

"So Mike what did you coach for the Texans? Refresh me. How did that turn out?"

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Well, I got them Samkon Gado and that really helped solidify their backfield of stars. And I also helped them realize that Mckinney was a better center than Flanagan, so that was pretty sweet.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Sherman Chow?

[​IMG]

6. plee

plee Member

:D She probably could do a better job than Dennis Green

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Good luck to Norm Chow. He deserves a HC job.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would think they are only interviewing Sherman as a backup. Why would they want anyone but Chow, considering he would be reunited with Matt Leinart.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They can make a run at Carroll... who also knew Leinart pretty well.

10. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I'd go after Chow.

Chow would be nice in Arizona.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think Chow will get it...History with Matt, offensive minded...Sherman has experience, and its not his fault Carr sucks...

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Because Chow doesn't have any head coaching experience, but I agree that he should be their #1 target. The guy's resume is untouchable (compared to other assistant coaches), handing him the offense with Leinart, Fitzgerald, and Boldin could be very very good for Arizona.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

word is chow doesn't interview well. someone on the radio last night suggested he should file an age and race discrimination lawsuit. I guess he's getting up there in age. to me, he looks like one of those guys who is a great coordinatior but maybe not a good head coach.

14. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Carroll would be a moron to leave USC for the Cardinals.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why wouldn't they hire someone like that? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

[​IMG]

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why? He'd get paid a boatload, and would get a chance to prove all his doubters wrong.

What else does he have left to do at USC? He's built a strong program that has contended for the better part of this decade.

17. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

I don't think it's all about proving anything for Pete. He just flat out loves college football. In college the atmosphere is so much different and he seems to enjoy the entire process from recruiting to winning Rose Bowls. I think he's having too much fun to leave.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I believe all of that... and still wouldn't be suprised if he left.

$$$$$$, more importantly, NFL-$$$$$$$ can sway even the "happiest" of all college coaches.

There is, of course, the reasoning that Carroll is just a mediocre NFL guy but a great college guy (b/c of his great recruiting). If he knows he's gonna fail at the next level, and doesn't want to tarnish his legacy, that's fine.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that rah rah attitude he has works a lot better in college. he's definitely a good coach. the nfl players tune that stuff out after a while, the college players, they move on.

20. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

USC is a great job, but I wouldn't call Carroll a moron for leaving..

The Cardinals have some pretty good talent and the NFC West division isn't that great.

Seattle, San Fransico, and St. Louis.

With a good coach, couple changes, they could compete to win that divison.

Plus to be one of the only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, I'd say it's not easy to get a head coaching job in this league.. and also pays well.