1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chick-Fil-A partners with anti-gay group

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. SunsRocketsfan

I'm all for equal rights for everyone regardless of their orientation but I for one love Chick-Fil-A too much to give it up :) I grew up on Chick-Fil-A since I grew up in Atlanta and that is where Chick-Fil-A started. If you havent tried out chick-fil-a go out and try it. It's the best tasting fast food ever!! :)

----------------------------
    http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/chick-fil-a_partners_with_rabid_anti-gay_group

Chick-fil-A Partners With Rabid Anti-Gay Group
    by Michael A. Jones January 04, 2011 07:47 AM (PT) Topics: Marriage Equality

You might like the tasty pickles that they put on their chicken sandwiches, but if you're eating at Chick-fil-A, you're also eating at an establishment that partners with some of the most ferocious anti-gay groups around.

Take a look at an event scheduled for February 2011, co-sponsored by Chick-fil-A and the Pennsylvania Family Institute, the leading anti-gay group in the Keystone State and a group that has worked hard to try and pass a constitutional amendment in Pennsylvania banning same-sex marriage.

The February event co-sponsored by Chick-fil-A is called "The Art of Marriage," and it's intended to be a launching point for Pennsylvania to return to "the biblical definition of marriage." Given the work of the Pennsylvania Family Institute, it's hard not to see where this event is going to go -- straight for the jugular of anyone who supports marriage equality for same-sex couples.

The Pennsylvania Family Institute has been a leading opponent of marriage equality, and has condemned the expansion of civil rights for same-sex couples. Speaking to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the group's president, Michael Geer, said that gay marriage is not moral, and should be put up for a vote rather than decided by courts or legislatures.

"The only way that we can get the people to decide this issue is through the ballot box," Geer said. "Marriage as defined as between a man and a woman has proven to be the best for the health, education and welfare of children."

And that's a mild statement coming from Geer. As more and more states have moved to legalize same-sex marriage, Geer has stated that unless Pennsylvania adopts a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, it could be forced to accept same-sex couples as equals.

"Newspapers across the commonwealth editorialized -- and many legislators said -- we don't need an amendment, we already have a law [banning gay marriage]. This [ruling] makes clear that the law is insufficient," Geer said, after California's Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in 2008. (That ruling was eventually overturned by the passage of Proposition 8.)

The Pennsylvania Family Institute has blasted gay marriage in a number of other ways, too. They've argued that calling committed same-sex couples married is like calling the tail of a dog a leg. They've said that when Judge Vaughn Walker ruled Proposition 8 unconstitutional, that human civilization took a direct hit. They've suggested that discriminating against same-sex couples is perfectly acceptable, because same-sex couples weren't biologically meant to be together. And they've said that same-sex marriage threatens children, hurts families, and punishes all of society by caving in to components of a radical sexual revolution.

And if you're spending money on Chick-fil-A sandwiches, you're helping the Pennsylvania Family Institute deliver this message.

It's not the first time Chick-fil-A has been connected to some anti-gay actors. In February 2009, an Auburn student documented that Chick-fil-A had given money to Focus on the Family, the anti-gay Colorado group founded by the Rev. James Dobson. Focus on the Family, for their part, has a lengthy record of anti-gay extremism, from calling same-sex couples a danger to the planet, to suggesting that legalizing same-sex marriage would be a worse disaster than Pearl Harbor.

Fool me once, Chick-fil-A, shame on you. But fool me twice? Shame on me. That's why it's time to get Chick-fil-A to respond, and figure out whether they're interested in being a fast food restaurant, or they're interesting in being a business that partners and caters to some radical anti-gay elements in our country. Send the restaurant chain a message asking them why they're sponsoring an event in Pennsylvania with a leading anti-gay organization. And let the restaurant know that if they value all of their customers, including their LGBT customers and straight allies, they'll pull their official sponsorship from this event and stop making chicken sandwiches that support extremely homophobic agendas.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Well damn... looks live I've had my last Chic-Fil-A Sandwich and waffle fry.

3. Landlord Landry

laughed out loud.

4. rtsy

rtsy Member

You should never order pizza from Paccino's.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

ugh, i do not feel comfortable financially supporting this type of CRAP...i just need to figure out how to make that "chick-fil-a sauce" at home. and their ridiculously delicious carrot raisin salad.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well that's pretty f***ing gay.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Didn't most people already know that they were run by the devoutly religious?

Their food in itself is a religion to some people.

I really don't have a problem spending $5.50 on a delicious chick-fil-a sandwich, I'll just ask them to hold the homophobia.

8. ClutchCityReturns

I was aware that they were founded on Christian values (*cough* unlike America *cough*), but this is over the top. Being closed on Sundays was inexcusable enough.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad about it being Chick Fil A's right to support whatever they want, let me say that I agree. It's also my right to call it's bigotry.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i never understood why some people are crazy for chick fil a ...their stuff isnt bad but it's not that great either.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Being a homophobe is not a Christian value.

11. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

"Eet mor chikin" also means "Eet les beef".

Take the hint, beef-eaters! Marriage is between a man and a woman. Or between a piece of chicken and a delicious, buttery bun.

I stopped paying attention to Chick-fil-a when I saw their Christian cow calendars.

If cows were religious, they would pray to Moo-hammed.

As long as they make chicken, fine. If it supports something I don't agree with, who cares. Everyone has their opinions, and most of them are stupid ones.

Leave my dinner out of it.

1 person likes this.
  12. ClutchCityReturns

Homophobia is not necessarily the same as opposing gay marriage, which is what this is. Based on the bible, gay marriage is not to be allowed.

Of course, I probably could have put Christian values in quotes since it's really just a concept. Individuals just cherry pick what they want and forget the rest.

13. SunsRocketsfan

I know you dont know how many times on a Sunday I was craving chick-fil-a. Made the mistake of driving there a few times also only to remember it was sunday.. :mad:

But there is something about chick-fil-a that brings back all sorts of nostalgia and memories from my childhood. I moved out to San Diego 20 years ago and chick-fil-a only started popping up around here in the last 4-5 years.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are closed on Sunday for a reason.....

DD

15. SunsRocketsfan

No they wouldnt. Muslims eat beef. They would pray to the hindu god. Wait actually hindu's worship cows. :grin:

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very true.

And the funny thing is I had this debate with my uber-conservative Christian parents over Christmas break. There is very little in the Bible to support anti-homosexuality. Most Christians except that Jesus came back to cover a multitude of sins and usher in a "new order" that means that Old Testament law was now null and void and they were to obey the teachings of Christ. I've read the Gospels plenty of times and don't recall Jesus himself saying anything about homosexuality.

I believe the apostle Paul said something in the NT about homosexuality, but he also pretty much thought women were useless creatures that had no place in the upper echelons of society.

They point to the Old Testament to show God's displeasure with homosexuality. But that seems like shaky ground to stand on. Mosiac law had a lot of punishments for simple things. A child who talked back to his parents was to be stoned to death for instance. Cherry-picking morality out of the old testament is a favorite Christian past time though. Hard to change 2000 years of stubbornness.

17. SunsRocketsfan

yea here is their reason

“ Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work. Through the years, I have never wavered from that position. „

—S. Truett Cathy

18. ClutchCityReturns

They point to the Old Testament to show God's displeasure for homosexuality, but not to show that if a woman interferes with a fight between two men and grabs their junk, she should have her hand cut off, or that you should stone someone to death for working on the sabbath (which, interestingly enough, was originally on Saturday...), or throwing babies against rocks, or...you get the point.

Now, some people will flat out tell you they throw out the Old Testament for the reasons you mentioned, yet they continue to use the Ten Commandments to support their agenda :confused:

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sucks for some gay dudes out there who love chicken nuggets.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

(thank you)