1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Tribune] Time for Yao to take a bow

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...umn?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

In the history of the NBA there was George Mikan and then Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and then Shaq.

Whoa! The Dream was chopped liver?

3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I was reading this article and thats EXACTLY what I thought...Houston centers get NO RESPECT

4. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

I stopped reading as soon as I saw Dream wasn't mentioned.

5. windfern

windfern Member

Nothing is close to MJ, that's right.

But to say nothing is close to Shaq? Well, let's see what's Yao's response tonight.

6. Astroholic

Astroholic Member

I like both LeBron and Wade, but neither deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Jordan yet. Need to win the big game, more than once. (Finals). Your going to need about 50 game winners... be a Class act, make your team players better (obviously not kobe), and respect the game and all it's given and will be given to you. I love you LeBron, but don't think your bigger than the game (walking off the court before the games over)

7. Astroholic

Astroholic Member

And to talk about Yao-Shaq comparision. Shaq is better, more dominate in one quarter. Yao over a full game, and over a full season will have better numbers. I honestly believe Yao will have better career numbers than Shaq...even though Shaq would be more feared in his prime compared to Yao.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Any article that quotes Bill Walton as some sort of sage should be ignored, or burned.

All Walton is good for are goofy analogies and r****ded hyperbole.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

What a flip-flopper Walton is. He has been singing Yao's praises since he has came into the league even when Yao looked like he had plateaued. Now that Yao is a beast and starting to play pretty consistent, he turns around and disses him. Geez, what a bunch of morons these guys are. I don't know how many times Shaq and Walton have said that Hakeem was the best center they every played against. The problem is the next day they changed their mind.

10. wgray

wgray Member

omg no way isay we e-mail this <well i don't know what to call him how the hell do you not not dream in there

11. jdrock

jdrock Member

Walton is a fool. Have you watched his "Walton's World" shticks on ESPN? They're unbearable to watch. What the hell is he talking about???

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

here comes the backlash. The Yao hype machine builds him up after ignoring him for years, and now that he has a bad game against the spurs, he's just a pretender.

13. dalman

dalman Member

Walton?? Is he living in Chicago? Why they quote him anyway?

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it wasn't a bad article just the complete dis of dream was bs. it would have been nice if he included drexler needing to come play with dream to win a championship but whatever...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly!

16. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i have been wtching rockets games since i was i little kid in the late 80's and ever since i can remember walton has been a pud. i remember when we were winning championships and he was announcing for nbc a typical line by walton when the rox were sucking was like "the rockets look woeful on the court, truly out of sync there is now way they can hadle this powerful phoenix team" and then 3 min later where we came charging back "the rockets are a team to be reckoned with, this team has championship written all over it" and this would be in the same game, hell sometimes the same quarter. so i never take anything he says seriously (esp due to the fact tht he nixed a center tht saq even said publicly when he was younger was the best center of all time, the dream) so it dsnt upset me to much i will just let old man walton keep flapping his big ole horse teeth and thinking he is important.

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but Yao would need to lead the Rockets to multiple championships in his prime to ever be compared with Shaq or Dream or anyone as accomplished as those guys.

He is just entering his prime as a player, so he must be given time to prove himself and THEN, and only then, can we compare his body of work to that of Shaq's or even Duncan's when it's all set and done.

I love Yao and McGrady and all our guys, but we can start comparing them to all-time greats when they do sh** in their careers, not be first-round rejects.

Again, sorry if I sound harsh, but nothing infuriates me like not giving all-time greats their just due, and comparing some 'up-and-coming' modern day star players to all-time greats when they haven't done anything to deserve such comparison.

A 26-year old Yao Ming in his prime years proving that he can statistically dominate an a clearly over-the-hill Shaq doesn't prove anything -- it proves that Shaq is old.

Yet, that old Shaq just got his 4th ring and celebrated his 6th Finals appearance of his career.

I would say that Yao has a LOT to prove before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Shaq or Dream or anyone else. Same goes for "The King" up there in Cleveland.

Give these guys time and then let's talk again in a few years down the line. that way, we're fair to everyone.

18. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

What a moron!

1.We are talking about current Yao vs Shaq. It's not about the whole career.

2.To say a player playing just for the playoffs is stupid. The way Heat playing now,they could miss the playoffs this season.

3.Using team winning percentage to compare individual player is absurd. I bet Robert Horry's winning percentage is higher than most of the NBA players.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And don't forget Moses Malone who won 3 mvp's while Kareem was in his prime. He also completely dominated Kareem in the playoffs for Houston and in the Championship for the 76ers.

20. 325Driver

325Driver Member

There was a time when I did not like Bill Walton. Then I heard him interviewed by Rome a few times and I thought to my self, "This guy isn't so bad." It looks like I should have gone with my gut instinct on this one.

Anyone who comes out and says the best (true) center in the league is anyone other than Yao Ming is a fool. Did Walton see the game on Sunday night? Did he see what Yao did to Shaq? For that matter did he see what Shaq tried to do to Yao?

Give me a friggen break. Were it not for DW the Heat would not have made it out of the first round last year, hell they probably would not have even made it to the playoffs. Shaq has been reduced to nothing more than a body in the middle who will get you a few points, grab a few boards, and send a ball into the stands every now and again.

How can we still say he is the most dominant, man that has become quite the overused word in the game of basketball, when he doesn't even give full effort in the regular season and simply bides his time until April rolls around. Last time I checked a teams efforts in the regular season are what gets them into the postseason. Yet Shaq comes right out of the gate out of shape and treats the first 82 games like some sort of a tuneup.

I will refuse to call someone the greatest at anything no matter what story their numbers tell until they can garner my respect in some way. The man has little if any work ethic, he's got an ego larger than himself, and worst of all he is worshipped 'round the world by all. I mean he absolutely beat Yao up on Sunday and he has got the cuts and bruises to show for it. Did Yao get the calls? No. Did Shaq get his? Of course; only so we can go see him lob yet another pair of wounded ducks up towards the rim in a desperate attempt to get one of them to go in.

I can't help but wonder, if Shaq had played his entire career for the city of Houston, in a Rockets uniform, would he still be considered the most dominant center ever?