1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cheap fun in Houston?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Vengeance, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

I've got 2 friends coming in from Dallas tomorrow night, and I've got to come up with some fun stuff around town to do. Right now I've got nothing. We'd go golfing, but I can't afford it right now (although I might just suck it up and do it anyways). I can't believe I'm having a tough time coming up with something to do in Houston, but I'm really stuck. Any good ideas?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure about cheap, but a friend told me there used to be a sleazy place called Baby Dolls on Richmond. Not sure if it is still there :D.

3. AMS

AMS Member

10 dollar seats at the Toyota center

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Can't make it to the game or else we would -- meeting some other friends that night -- I've got the evenings planned, it's really just day stuff.

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

A good game of indoor basketball.. and buy them drinks afterwards :D

dollar movies :eek: haha im sure theyll love 5 month old movies :D Matrix? Bruce Almighty? Gangs of New York :cool:

6. The Real Shady

If you want cheap go to Legends on Richmond. If you get there before 7pm it's free and you can bring in your own beer. The only drawback is the girls are kind of ghetto, they've got tatt's all over them.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

So what's the drawback?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

After hearing all the hoopla on this board my first visit on my next trip to Houston will be Treasures. :D

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I thought that place closed down......

10. Buck88

Buck88 Member

Dude, Fantasy North is the perfect combo of decent/good looking girls and freaky/no holds barred VIP room dancing.

11. The Real Shady

Yes, nothing beats Treasures.

Maybe, it's been a couple of months since I've been there.

Personally, I don't like girls that show me where they've been shot, but whatever does it for ya. :)

12. Uprising

Uprising Member

Bullet wounds huh? Dang...that is a turnoff.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

So a bullet wound is different from a hatchet wound?

I'm sorry, that was bad...

14. allan

allan Member

Try Alice's Tall Texan on North Main. It is a neighborhood dive bar that is run by the old lady named alice. It has cheap cheap beer and is served in these frozen "fish tank" goblets. She has Shiner bocke for $1.50 and Lone Star for $1.25 the best deal in town there is also a pool table, cards and dominos. It is a interesting mix of people old time regulars and young hipsters. She also is a sports fan so there is always a game on. And she loves the Rockets. I was going there for years til I moved away.

Also if you want cheap eats, go to Cali sandwich shop in Mid/ dwntwn. they sell the best Vietmanese sandwich for $2 I would always buy two.

And probably the best thing that no one knows about or doesnt care about in Houston is the Menil Collection Museum in the Montrose area. It has an awesome art collection. Everything from Picasso to Warhol and it is always FREE.

If you like live music, try Rudyards, also in Montrose. They have a full bar, cool pinball tables. and usually have live music for about $5 to $15

Oh and if you like to shoot pool go to Cue and Cushion on Shepherd they have cheap beer and cheap pool.

Hope these suggestions help you out

15. eric.81

eric.81 Member

I hope they help that guy out too, but those are some places I'll have to try and I've lived in Houston my whole life!! Thanks for the suggestions.

16. allan

allan Member

here are some more things to do in H-Town for little or no money:

The Beer Can House: Its an entire house made of beer cans and its free and quite a sight a houston landmark

Happy Hour at the Proletariat: $1 Shiner pints from 4-8 richmond @ montrose

Raja Sweets: Damn good Indian Food for under $4 a plate and you wont leave hungry Hillcroft @ Westpark area

Laredo Taqueria on washington: best breakfast tacos just like moms used to make. Before 10am $1 after 10am $1.50

Memorial Park Bike Trails: Free and fun, if you dont have a bike you can rent one from West End Bikes near the park

The Houston Arboretum: A whole lotta nature, inside the loop, and its free.

Frisbee @ Rice Univerisity Great campus to play disc , and there are about 3 girls to every guy there. and while you are at Rice check out the following:

Vallhalla Bar on Rice Campus: 75¢ keg beer thats right 75¢!

The Orange Show: words cant describe, you just gotta see it yourself, I think they run on donations

Contemporary arts Museum (CAM): donations accepted

Museum of Fine Arts: Free on Thursdays! world class collection

Infernal Bridgroom Productions: Local theatre company, and they throw killer parties, located @ the Axiom dwntwn

Easy 7: Its a drainage ditch near T.C. Jester in Oak Forest it is hella fun on a skateboard or bmx bike and its a Houston Legend. Free

Frisbee Golf on Allen Parkway great views of DWNTWN and free!

Drive to Galveston or surfside and check out the beach and the babes.

The waterwall and park next to the Transco tower in Galleria area good for taking pictures and its also free>

See there is more to Houston than strip clubs and strip malls. you just gotta know where to look
    Have fun and Happy new year.