1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charlie Ward possibly to Portland or San Antonio?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

From a NY Times article today ... it cites a team official, but uses the word "could" in saying Portland or San Antonio could be the targets of a deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/sports/basketball/01KNIC.html

Ward's agent, Craig McKenzie, said he expected something to happen with Ward.

"We've had several conversations now," McKenzie said. "We have an idea of what Charlie desires, but a lot has to do with Isiah and getting the number down for the team. Right now, it's still very much up in the air."

One team official said that Portland and San Antonio could be the primary targets for a deal.

The Spurs have only Jason Hart behind Tony Parker at point guard but an excess of swingmen who may interest the Knicks. The Trail Blazers have spoken of their willingness to deal. Among the Blazers the Knicks are interested in are point guard Damon Stoudamire and power forward Rasheed Wallace.

Ward shrugs at the prospects, having heard trade speculation often.

"Well, I'm playing basketball," he said. "It doesn't bother me any. We know it's a business. We do have four point guards, so we'll deal with whatever happens. As of right now, today, we're all still here. We're going to come to work just like we always do."

Just throwing my own thoughts in here, and putting aside the character issue, I wonder if a McDyess-Rasheed deal would make some sense for the Knicks and Blazers. I would say it definitely would make sense for the Blazers, given that McDyess is a good character, strong player and a free agent this offseason. They don't absorb any contracts and they could evaluate McDyess' injury for the rest of the season before committing further.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch. Wasn't Stoudamire with Thomas in Toronto? Perhaps there is a fit there with that. If the Blazers could move his horrible contract then that would be huge for them.

But more importantly...if the Knicks can move Dice and get Wallace in return. Good lord that would be a great deal for the Knicks! Layden would be jealous and Thomas would start his reign as GM with a bang!

Wallace in the EAST would be tremendous! And I can seriously see him resigning with the Knicks.

If the Blazers could dump Wallace's AND Stoudamire's contracts that would be some serious cap space!

Definitely something worth watching here.

Also, if the Blazers dump Wallace, I think you can pretty much count them out of the playoffs in the West. This would be good for the Rockets. They will still be tough, but won't have enough to get over the hump I dont believe.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Deuce,
    Assuming the Blazers want pure cap space, they get that by letting Wallace (or McDyess) expire his summer. How do the Blazers get cap space for shedding Stoudamire? Only two ways I can think of.

McDyess for Stoudamire (doesn't make much sense IMO). Or Stoudamire for $14m of expiring contracts. Ward $6m, Travis Knight $4m and Mutombo $4m for Stoudamire?

What does SA have at $6m for Ward? Ron Mercer? Both expire 2004.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

I would think if the Blazers make a trade it won’t be for another power forward since that is Zach Randolph’s position. They seem pretty weak at every position other than the 4 spot.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ward has been 'showcased' all season, and the closing date is 1/15 -- when his 6 mil becomes bionically guaranteed.

What is guaranteed is CW will never see a 6 mil/yr contract again.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think NYers would be worry character issues
    THEY TIRED OF LOSING

Rocket River

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

NY-Portland seem like perfect trade partners. I just wonder if it'll be Damon Stoudamire ($13) or Rasheed Wallace ($17).

Ward ($6)
    Eisley ($7)
    Thomas ($5)
    McDyess ($13)
    Anderson ($7)
    Harrington ($3)
    Van Horn ($13)

are all fair game. If Isiah isn't going to resign McDyess, why not go for Rasheed now? Better player, and they should be able to re-sign him for ~$10 per this summer. Portland trades for a "good guy" and still gets to let his salary come off the books in the summer just like they would with Rasheed. Toss in Eisley or some other loss (non PF) change to make the numbers work.

Evan

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Also - Ward plus Eisley for Stoudamire works perfectly (realgm).

NYK's 4 PGs become 3.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ward+Eisley for Stoudamire seems like a golden trade for both teams. The Blazers desperately want to rid themselves of Stoudamire and his hideous contract.

I agree, NYK and Portand do seem like good trading partners.

Again, if the Knicks can parlay Dice into Wallace it will be a steal for them. It would instantly put them into the East playoffs. Their front court could be Thomas, Wallace and Van Horn. That would be one of the BEST front lines in the entire Eastern Conference!