1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons is the reason the offense was so much better last year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 3, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Curious as to why exactly the offense seem so stagnant this year, I went back to my DVR and I'm watching the game vs. the Blazers from January of last year.

The difference in the offense is night and day. I didn't realize how much Parsons affected the offense compared to this year. He drives to the basket way more than I realized... and he could finish at the rim.

Either he gets lay-ups, or he can pull up for a short jumper, or he would dump it off to Dwight for a dunk, or pass it back out and then they would drive and look for a lay-up.

There was much more "downhill" movement to the offense with guys constantly attacking the rim, starting with Parsons.

Ariza never drives to the basket. He's strictly a spot-up shooter. And when he does rarely drive it to the basket, he gets stuffed at the rim. He's not a good finisher.

In addition to his half-court game, Parsons was constantly getting out on transition, and either getting easy buckets for himself, or driving it in and getting easy buckets for others in transition.

Ariza just cannot play like that. It's not his game.

So this year's offense will not be like last year's, sadly. Parsons was the engine who kept the offense moving last year with his ability to penetrate and finish.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Meh...

3. Progs

Progs Member

I agree. Parsons was/is a much better fit and player than Trevor 'Brick' Ariza.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Remember when Parsons missed games last year and the offense looked like absolute crap? And the reasons people came up with was that he was a "glue guy"?

Well, he actually had a much larger role in the offense than I realized.

And that's why they looked so bad when he missed games, and that's why they don't look good this year on that end of the floor.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you don't say??

I thought this was established when we looked like absolute crap in the games he would miss last season.

6. rockpileindisma

Need a guy to fill this role. Wish we had parson for a mill haha

7. bmd

bmd Member

Well, I mentioned that in the post above yours, but even still it's much easier to see the difference when comparing how Ariza plays in the Rockets offense this year while actually watching Chandler Parsons play last year.

You can really see what they are missing when going back and watching a game.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is nothing we didn't already know...

Ariza makes Parsons look like an All-Star offensively. Ariza makes Parsons look like scrub defensively.

That's what we signed up for when we made the switch.

9. boiler

boiler Member

Rockets could've kept Parsons and had Lowry.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We could have had him AND Ariza...

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes but he was also part of the reason or defense was so bad.

BTW, he's now the fourth option in Dallas. Just too expensive

12. bmd

bmd Member

There were many who looked at their ppg numbers and said they were comparable offensively. Many said although Parsons is a little better on offense, the difference isn't huge, so combine that with Ariza's defense and he would be a "better fit" with the Rockets.

Watching the game, it's a pretty big difference on offense.

13. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

If you notice, PaP is similar to parsons just not as athletic. PaP is a better passer, and playmaker than Trevor. Personally out watering lineup should be:

Dwight
    DMO
    PaP
    Harden
    Pat
    This balances our offense and you don't have guys jacking up threes versus trying to make a play. Oh and hustle players that are smart and make good decisions

14. rocketblood713

So when do we get Wizards Ariza ???

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We were stagnant last year at this time on offense as well. So the answer is no.

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

It's really simple with this offense.

When we hit our outside shot i.e. 3s we are one of the best offenses in the NBA. When we are off we are one of the worst.

Unfortunately as of late our shots haven't been falling. This is what you get with an offense that is all 3s and layups.

I'm sure Parsons made a difference but his inability to play defense like an Ariza also contributed to us having one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I partially agree with the original post BUT i woukd also sugest Parsons is the reason we were a first rd exit. No defence at all, and unable to do his thing under pressure and with more ohysical playoff style.

Ariza is a better fit. But we need one other player on the roster who can create offensively. At the PG spot, and even just backup quality (ie jarrett jack?)

1 person likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Well you are right.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's very true. The thinking was if Ariza could hit 3's at a higher clip and slash to the basket respectably, the dropoff in playmaking between Parsons and Ariza wouldn't be severe. I was one of those who thought that as well.

Sadly...nobody could have expected how terrible Ariza would be from 3, and he remains a poor driver/finisher at the basket.

Considering how much he shoots (about 13 shots a game with horrible percentages), the offense won't look better until he starts hitting at a higher clip. The same could be said for Beverley given his recent slump shooting the ball.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

100% right - he is an efficient offensive player - and that is what is missing on this years team, we have flipped to one way defensive players, and we lack the balance of offensive ones to play alongside the defensive guys.

DD