1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons' Improvement as Mid-Range Scorer Key for Houston Rockets' Success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 25, 2013.

1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chandl...t-mid-range-scorer-key-houston-163800117.html

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

M De Moor strikes again!

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can see adding a midrange jumper for uncontested shots. He shoots 3's very well from the corners. If he improves the three elsewhere, I think it will have a much greater impact.

Also, I think his defensive abilities are a little exaggerated by Rocket fans. He looks great at defense because of the previous poor defense at the wings before he got here. We shall call this the Martin-Budinger Effect.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Once again, Yahoo contributor network is not Yahoo but rather a crappier version of bleacherreport. Not worth posting because it's just one fan's opinion, and generally wrong one at that.

5. Raven

Raven Member

I'm really torn on which team I'd prefer to start playing this weekend, the Rockets or Texans. ;)

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I posted this because it's everything Morey is against. Mid-Range Jumpers. Don't know why the guy would write this. The only player on the court who should be shooting mid-range jumpers is our stretch 4.

1 person likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As crappy as that article was, Chandler is only a pull up jumper away from being borderline all-star.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

If Parsons had a pull up J he'd be so money

As of last season he would pump fake, get his defender in the air, drive it in, and then dish it off.

9. basketballholic

When I read articles like that I wonder if I could get work as a writer.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look at the Rockets shot selection chart from the past 2 years. See any trends???....

Mid-Range scorer isn't something they are going to press with Parsons or any other players on their roster.

One thing I can see Parsons expanding his game on is showcasing his playmaking skills and ability to facilitate the offense in the post with Howard.

If they decide to go heavy on post play this season and in the future, I believe Parsons will almost always be the player responsible for setting up Dwight much like McGrady & Battier were with Yao.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6EKiDFOsJUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If he could do this every game he'd be an all-star ;)

12. conquistador#11

mid range? my IBM does not compute.

in his rookie season, he had an ugly baby hook that went in for him a couple of times. it was more like a flip than a baby hook.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I think Parsons is able to hit a pull up jumper, but considering the long 2 was a no-no, settled on threes and dishes when he couldn't penetrate all the way to the rim.

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

With Howard actually holding down the pivot on the offensive end this season I actually expect us to shoot even more 3's than we did last season. And if I'm not mistaken we almost set the league record for attempted 3's last season. Mid range jumpers just aren't part of our game plan. Maybe floaters, and putting in those runners just inside the painted area but you will rarely see a stand still 18 footer in our offense. Maybe Harden on an iso.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the only player who needs to improve the mid range is harden, because he's the guy who takes the shot in the last few seconds where a midrange or 3 can make no difference other than the margin.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

I was reading this, thinking how completely wrong it is and how it is completely against what Morey looks for and wants in his players...but then I saw that it was written by M. De Moor and it all made sense.

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Sure enjoyed points 1-4 but that whole mid-range shooting stuff that Morey values the least just showed us that the writer did his homework on players. Teams not so much.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can understand that, but you need to be clear in the OP or the title that you're posting a bleacherreport-esque 'article' to avoid wasting a lot of people's time. I have a habit now of reading the link, so I can skip the thread if it's from Bleacher Report. But, the YCN has a regular Yahoo address, so you don't immediately know by looking at the link.

As for the article, yeah it's dumb. Parsons doesn't shoot midrange because his coach doesn't want him to. It wouldn't much help being better at that shot, because the team doesn't want to shoot it. If he's denied the 3 and is cut-off on the drive, he needs to pass it, not take a low percentage jumper.

20. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Yeah no....Parsons really only need to improve his wing three pointers. He shoots 30% from that area(worst in the NBA) and he attempts those shots the most.