1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Champion Rice puts '04 team on field

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BobFinn*, Feb 10, 2004.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Feb. 9, 2004, 10:35PM

Champion Rice puts '04 team on field
    By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today's game: Sam Houston St. at Rice, 4 p.m., Reckling Park

Game audio: http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Rice-Baseball.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The celebrations and parades have ended, the championship rings have been tucked away neatly in drawers, and the phrase national champions now rolls off the tongue with ease.

Less than eight months after winning its first championship by beating Stanford in the College World Series, Rice opens defense of its baseball title at 4 p.m. today against Sam Houston State at Reckling Park.

"I'm ready to play ball," declared Rice coach Wayne Graham, who enters his 13th season on South Main.

Following tonight's game, the Owls will participate in the Minute Maid College Classic, where they'll face Texas Tech on Friday, Texas on Saturday in a matchup of the previous two national champions, and Kansas State on Sunday.

"These early games are just about getting better and figuring out if there are additional problems than you thought you had and solving the ones you already knew you had," Graham said.

The Owls, ranked No. 1 in four preseason polls, can only hope for a start similar to last season, when they won 33 of their first 34 games, including a school-record 30 in a row.

"A lot of teams are going to have played more games than us when we go to Minute Maid, but it's still about playing baseball," Graham said. "I think we're ready and fairly healthy."

Junior righthander Josh Baker was scheduled to get the start for the Owls today, but his status is up in the air after he injured his foot in Saturday's alumni game. No matter who starts, expect the Owls to get a look at several pitchers.

"We have to keep a close eye on how the pitchers are throwing," Graham said. "Even though they're all supposed to be in shape, you want to keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't fatigue early. You go on pitch counts, but you also go on what you see."

Rice will begin the season with several new faces in the starting lineup, including junior college transfers Adam Rodgers at catcher and Clay Reichenbach at third base.

"The level of expectation here is higher than anywhere I've ever played before," said Rodgers, a junior from Grayson County College. "It's just a different attitude and atmosphere. It's a really good experience, and I've learned so much just being here in the last couple of months. I'm ready to put it all together and see what we look like."

Sam Houston, coached by former Rice assistant Chris Rupp, opened the season in the Pan American Tournament in Edinburg. The Bearkats beat Texas-Pan American 7-2, lost to Lamar 7-4 and tied Kansas 8-8 when the Jayhawks had to leave to catch an airplane.

Lefty Chris Gressett will pitch for SHSU.

"I think it's going to be great," said Rupp, in his second year after leaving the Owls. "I'm looking forward to it. There's going to be a big crowd out there, and it's going to be good for our guys to play in a situation like that. They'll see where they need to pick up the intensity level a bit."

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

GOOOOOO BEARKATS!!!!!!!

:D

like they have a chance :rolleyes:

class of '89

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think the game is going to be rained out today. There will be no raining out the Minute Maid series this weekend. Looking forward to those games.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's the thing about college baseball. Everybody has a chance in every game. You get a hot pitcher and a few clutch hits, and you win the game. It's not like college football or a to a lesser extent college basketball where you can really predict the outcome of a single game before it occurs based on the rankings of the teams playing.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eat 'em uuuuuuuup Kats!!!!

class of '96

Rice will be *lucky* if the game is rained out, otherwise SHSU could have a big surprise for the Owls. ;)

SLEEPING GIANT

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Sam did beat us once last year in Huntsville. Sam has a lot of Rice connections. Chris Rupp (head coach) coached at Rice, assistant coach Phil Ghutzman played at Rice and Matt Emerson (3rd base) transferred there after last year.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sam Houston has historically fielded a pretty strong baseball team!

Man! Just the idea that baseball is starting up!

BRING ON THE SPRING TIME!!!!!

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I went to Sam in '79-'81. Saw the only SHSU baseball player (that I know of) that made it to the big leagues, Glenn Wilson. Wow could he hit college pitching.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Trader_Jorge, bigtexxx, or anyone else.

Do y'all know of a good college baseball website? Not necessarily one with a BBS or anything, just one with info on teams around the nation? Thanks in advance.

I'm looking forward to catching some Rice and UH games. The Bobcats come into town for a spanking at the beginning of March.

10. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'll be at the Minute Maid games on Friday. I wish I could catch the Rice-UT game, but I go on vacation Saturday.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait for Baseball Season: College or Pro...

I think Rice can make it back, but of course, I like the Coogs and think they'll make another run for it as well...

Go Coogs!!!

12. surrender

surrender Member

blows goats