1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cervical stenosis (note: if you have bad posture, fix it!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 2, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Greetings, fellow Clutchers.

Anyone ever had this? Know anyone who's gone through it?
    (Maybe I shouldn't be asking.)

I've had various weird symptoms---pain, weakness---and finally got it figured out.

Not a pinched nerve, but nerve-related, yeah.

An MRI (upright MRI; supine in a tube is painful and claustrophobic for me) revealed stenosis in my neck. Narrowing of the spinal column. Facet, disc, foraminal, and spinal stenosis....likely the culprit of my pain and muscle weakness these past couple months.

Naturally we start with more conservative treatment, although I wonder if this is delaying an inevitable surgery. We'll see.

I sympathize/empathize with another poster on here who has posted here of his own medical issues. Until you go through **** where it impacts your quality of life, you just don't know.

Amiga, CometsWin, Rockets FTW and 2 others like this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

God, enough with the Melo threads.

BHannes2BHonest and nomiz1987 like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Great, another Melo thread.

Edit, now that this has been moved. Sorry about your health condition bro, I got nothing to add.

#3 ThatBoyNick, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    BHannes2BHonest and nomiz1987 like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I feel for you man, but can you play power forward?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. aristophanes34

For another Melo thread.... it is cleverly disguised.. I give the OP that...

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Six spinal surgeries, neck and back. Awaiting #5. Private message if you’d like ‘conversation’.

7. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I need to get an mri done soon.
    My doc says I might have sciatic nerve damage. Sent me to get an X-ray which I knew wouldn’t show anything, he didn’t want to send me to get a mri. Been having excruciating pain for months now.. **** feels like somona stabbing my back all the way up there I my shoulder/neck

8. mockster

mockster Member

Good posture is not only healthier it somehow gives you a better sense of well being and confidence, not exactly sure how to explain it.

Sorry to hear of your issues, I had terrible posture and a lot of spine issues as a teenager and young adult, I was able to thankfully get it fixed *or at least duct taped* with therapy and better habits

It sounds like your issue [not trying to be rude and I obviously don’t know the extent to your issue] might be past this point but I know that when I did physical therapy we focused on strengthing particular muscles to help support and take the pressure off. Most of the excersises and treatment was odd motions and etc. not something you would typically do in just general working out.

Also stretching and yoga has literally healed people who were pretty much paralyzed. I also did a lot of that.

Amiga and DonKnock like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

I notice I lurch forward while seated a lot. I’ve been exercising a ton the last 6 months and that’s seemed to help with hip and lower back pain (ugh I’m old) but I still catch myself doing it.

Was talking to a guy at my gym who’s exercising specifically for posture and “opening up his diaphragm”. Says he spends all his days at a computer for work.

Good luck OP.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

M,

I'm glad to hear they finally figured it out. Sucks thats it's been so lengthy and brutal.
    You'll get there, Brother. Keep on hanging tough.
    I holler at you, later.

Much love,

D

11. ROXTXIA

Thanks. Peace to all. Except those with the Melo replies. ;)

mockster and Plowman like this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

100% back the last statement here. I had chronic knee and back issues from running track in college while barely stretching during that time. Since then I started doing yin yoga and stretching daily and the pain is gone 99% of the time.

Amiga and mockster like this.
  13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Try inversion table therapy for spinal stenosis before you consider having back surgery. I would try all alternate means of fixing this other than actual surgery.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i have this for my office chair and car and it definitely helps with back issues.

i have a couple herniated disks in my cervical. got an mri last year and was told i would need surgery, but i f***ing kicked ass at physical therapy (which i continue to do on my own) so for now im good. the lumbar support helps though. forces you to sit up straight.

regarding PT, when they told me to try that before surgery i was like "yeah, this will be a waste of time...im in major pain and discomfort and i need surgery"...but literally after my first week i started to feel better. after 6 weeks the symptoms were pretty much gone. those people are miracle workers!

ROXTXIA likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

I'm going to send this to my wife. She'll be like, "See? I told you!"

jo mama likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Haven't had that, but I've had botched back surgery on my L5/S1 disc. Chronic pain. It never goes away, and it goes up and down in intensity. More or less from bad to worse, and then "back" to bad. I had hell playing with my kids when they were kids (adults now and out of college, thank god). Good luck!

PS: I hate getting MRI's myself. I can't do them standing up, and it hurts to lay down for the damn thing. I've lost count of how many I've had. That's depressing to think about.

17. ROXTXIA

I tried the regular MRI but I have back pains from my condition, and the tube was so small (and I'm thin!) I went to Upright MRI in Sugar Land. You sit rather than lie down. Office staff not the best, but the lady who did the MRI was good, and the discomfort was minimal.

Deckard likes this.