1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics, Grizzlies Swap Fab Melo, Donte Greene

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 15, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward Donte Greene from Memphis in exchange for center Fab Melo and cash considerations.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fab Melo, 2012 1st round pick(22 overall)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wow the Celtics gave up on Fab Melo f-a-s-t</p>&mdash; Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWolken/statuses/368045046698082305">August 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23celtics&amp;src=hash">#celtics</a> finally figured Melo had no future in Boston, long-term project they didn't want to wait on. Greene has been letdown but has upside</p>&mdash; gary washburn (@GwashNBAGlobe) <a href="https://twitter.com/GwashNBAGlobe/statuses/368045068449378304">August 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Didn't take long for Danny Ainge to give up on Fab Melo. Has potential, but has had difficulty with understanding of the game.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/368045266001469440">August 15, 2013</a></blockquote>

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Reminds me of somebody that Houston had. Understanding what is happening out there is kind of a big deal.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

I guess the guy could still turn it around and I've been wrong on players plenty myself, but CBL never disappoints. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

Celtics easily won, Melo is just an average d leaguer.

6. Rockets34Legend

Man, the Celtics are blowing their **** up!

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Who's got two thumbs and was supremely confident from the get-go that Fab Melo would be a draft bust?

THIS GUY!

(Also, FYI, I'm guessing that Boston wanted Donte Greene more for his non-guaranteed contract--which will allow the Celtics to drop below the luxury tax threshold upon waiving him--than they did for his skillset. That said, I still think Donte Greene could make a place for himself on an NBA roster somewhere.)

1 person likes this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The inevitable:

Vet min! Git her dun Moury!!!

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Hey, if the Rockets had the open roster spot, I'd be all for it.

I remember being as excited about drafting Greene as any (non-lottery) Rockets draft pick in the Morey era. A 6-11 freshman small forward who could shoot the 3-ball?! I was pretty shocked that he fell all the way to #28 in the draft.

While I'm probably biased, I think Greene could have developed into at least a pretty decent rotation SF/PF off the bench . . . had he begun his (regular season) career with the right team rather than the cesspool that was the Sacramento Kings. (Sorry, Donte, for sending you to Sacramento; but the Rockets needed Ron Artest more than they needed you at the time.)

10. alethios

alethios Member

No way - I hope the days of Morey grabbing worthless prospects is over.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I'm surprised none of the "experts" mentioned that. I didn't understand why the Celtics would trade a 7 foot bust for a shorter bust (especially when they have Jeff Green and Sullinger). But if it saves $$$, then it makes sense.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

FWIW, ESPN's story focused on the luxury tax angle.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fab Melo is raaaaaaaw. He won't be ready to play in an NBA game for at least 2 seasons. He looked lost in Summer league

14. meh

meh Member

Reminds me of a lot of old Rockets flameouts. Makes you wonder if this is a scoutable talent before the draft. Or is it a skill you have to teach first before knowing they can learn it.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Just what I want from of a 23 year old.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some folks would say it takes longer for bigs to develop lol. This guy gave himself a concussion after hitting his head on a doorway.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Would be interesting if the Rockets somehow gets both Donte Greene and Omri Casspi on the roster, given that they were essentially the two guys who ended up going to SAC for Artest.

18. basketballholic

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

clear example of why you dont draft or sign guys just because they are tall, and HOPE they develop into a basketball player.

Fab Melo was NEVER a good athlete or basketball player... anyone who watched him play at Syracuse and didn't just view a few YouTube clips would have known this.

All the sudden expecting that you can be the franchise that can turn a clumsy big kid into a rotational NBA big man is the ultimate delusion.

20. Asian Sensation

I didn't even know Donte was still in the NBA. I thought he was playing overseas or something. I do remember he blew up for like 40 points in his first summer league game which was vital in helping us land Artest.