1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Morey's contract is also up, status described as "questionable"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

Best defensive team in Rockets history was an Adelman-coached team, genius.

2. conquistador#11

I used to poke fun at the "sources", like when an unknown source told another GM that yao might not even play again. What happens? Yao misses two years in a row. =/

Now I take these sources seriously. Don't know what's going on in Les luthor's head.
    (cue cynical laughter again)

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

4. DieHard Rocket

He worked one year (his first coaching gig) with Pops. Probably just a minor role to get his feet wet. Then he spent 2 in GS and 2 in Dallas.

He's probably getting close to getting a shot, but I don't think we're the right team for him to do it with. Too much of a change from Adelman ... Elie has come from some very free, run and gun offenses without much structure.

I honestly think the man that should be our next coach is already here -- Elston Turner.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

6. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Morey is so overrated amongst the Rockets fan base. He hasn't done anything special at all. He's been as average he could possibly be as a GM, and yet he has worship status from many in the Rockets fan base.

Really strange.....

1 person likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not strange at all considering what he has done with what he was given.

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Member

Aculy most people involved with the NBA think he's a great GM.

But hey, you know more about random Euroleaguer #1726 that will never make an NBA roster, so clearly Morey is a moron.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Messina is a serious hard case. I would stay away from him. He was an epic disaster with Real Madrid. The guy is probably the best at preparing players and teaching them in the world, but he is a huge control freak.

He has the Jeff van Gundy disease mindset of wanting to control everything. So he is a disaster waiting to happen, which is what happened to him with Real Madrid. He is a much better coach than Van Gundy is though.

He develops a near perfect game plan for every playoff series. But he won't mesh with Alexander and/or Morey at all. And he has extremely demanding training sessions. NBA players have never trained like that unless they played for Pat Riley. I don't see it working.

Blatt is American so that is a good start. He is also a disciplinarian guy. He has had some failures with clubs with big budgets before but he has also worked some miracles, especially with Russia's national team.

He runs the Princeton offense to perfection and unlike Adelman he also implements very physical and hard defense also. He's a great coach and would be a great choice for sure.

But he already has a big contract in Israel so he won't come cheap. He would definitely be an excellent choice though. He brings Adleman's same exact offense plus he adds hard defense.

However, there is one bad thing about him that I don't like. He likes to play small ball with quick athletic players a little too much sometimes and he likes to go too short on rotations sometimes. So he still has some issues, but he would be a great choice though, particularly because he is a master at the Princeton offense and also because he knows players from all over the world. He knows where all the good players are everywhere, something that other NBA coaches clearly do not.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It would be a mistake to let Morey go after getting another shot at the 14th pick. He did well last season with that pick. He would probably do the same or better with this one. I am thinking the should keep the current organization together.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

it's not debatable.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed. I think Morey should leave this summer if he is smart. He could get an offer from another team now. But, if he waits for another one or two years, he will be exposed completely. And, he won't get any offer for GM by then.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

LOL!:grin: Agree.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Don't worry, Morey isn't going anywhere. Less knows he's the best shot he has at controlling costs and still being decent. Less will not pay top dollar for a coach if he knows the team isn't going to contend, so that's probably why Rick won't be back. Look for a much cheaper coach next year.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

If all they want is someone to do whatever they say, that's not really a coach. If that's really what they want, they must really have their head up their ass. Does anyone think Phil Jackson would care what the front office thought about his rotations?

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree with you 100%

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Adelman's defense road on the coat tails and philosophies of one Jeff Van Gundy.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who's coat tail's did he ride when he had one of the best defenses in the league in Sactown?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Is the cost of a coach that much of an issue? I recall Adelman makes $3 million a year, barely what the team pays to buy a 2nd round pick.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Messina has not been a disaster in Madrid.

Any european coach who aspires to coach in the NBA, has to be firstly assistant coach.