1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs might be the new worst Front Office in the league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roslolian, Oct 9, 2012.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

With Otis Smith out of a job, I think the Cavs might have the most useless FO in the league right now. They busted on Thompson last year (LOL!), and now they went ahead and picked another head scratcher in Waiters, a dude whom they didn't even work out during the draft. Waiters had a horrible SL, and now in their first game he shot 1-7 in just 14 mins of play, while Thompson had just 7 rebs and 2 pts (1-5) in 20 mins of play. Pathetic! And I wouldn't be surprised if Irving goes Lebron 2.0 on them 7 years from now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2012100905

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I thought for sure they would take Valen-Spellcheck last year. They'd have their C and PG of the future, but instead they took an undersized PF.

3. C1UTCH-C1TY

C1UTCH-C1TY Member

who do you think they should've drafted instead of tristan thompson in 2011 and waiters in 2012?

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait 'til tomorrow and people will be b****ing about how Morey is the worst GM in the world if the rookies struggle.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

uhhh Jonas Valaciunas, duhhhhhhh

Cavs derped so hard

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm already bracing for impact in the GARM

I think people will shet on Royce White first honestly, and probably Jeremy Lamb because he's not that aggressive and jump shot happy, and then inevitably Donuts.

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Terrence Jones will be getting hyped up like Pat Pat's first year.

8. MrJason

MrJason Member

Jonas Valanciunas in 2011.

2012 - probably could've gotten picks 12, 16 and 18.

9. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

In hindsight. Valanciunas and trobinson or possibly trade down for Barnes or take him at 4.

Irving, Valanciunas, robinson/Barnes would have been awesome.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. Anyway its not really just the draft picks they took, I don't think their FO knows you need to scout these guys before you draft them. They made all that hoopla about how Irving wasn't guaranteed to be the first pick and had him work out needlessly for 2-3 other teams (which tired him out and gave other teams intel on his play), and then they picked the undersized PF at 4 when you had a ton of other guys available. IIRC TT was slated pick 14 and below on most mock drafts, if they really wanted him they could have traded down to 10 and gotten him easy. Bill Simmons isn't exactly the greatest draft mind around but even he was blown away they took TT at number 4 when everyone and their mom were agreeing the Cavs should take Valanciunas.

Its the same thing here, Waiters was a pit trap so obvious nobody bit on him except the Cavs. I mean, the dude's agent canceled ALL workouts because they "already had a team", but then the Cavs admitted they didn't even work him out...who the hell turns down a workout for a top 4 pick team?! It made no sense, but maybe the Cavs FO thought Waiters was going 1 or something. Sure workouts don't tell everything, but working out allows you to see how good a player's skills are, esp. since this dude played in a weak ass conference in college. Now he's being exposed as someone who lacks every single fundamental bball knowledge, doesn't know how the O works, doesn't know how to defend, just either jack up bad shots or drive to the basket. He's not even as athletic as they initially thought, they thought they had Dwade looking at him tearing up players in college, turns out he was Von Wafer without the swag.

When people look back at this draft they always say the Bobcats enabled the draft cuz they got the 2nd best player, but the truth is its the Cavs who broke it wide open cuz they picked absolute garbage at 4. They were supposed to get either the PF, Barnes, MKG or Beal depending on who fell, but since they picked the mid 1st fodder at 4, that allowed the good players to slip down and everybody got what they want.

1 person likes this.
  11. AFS

AFS Member

Would you rather build around Irving-Tristan Thompson-Dion Waiters

-or-

Irving - Valanciunas - Harrison Barnes/Thomas Robinson (I probably woulda gone with Robinson here but I would have been okay with them taking Barnes too).

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But then again Thompson, Waiters, Barns, Jonas and Robinson are all unproven at this point. Yes on paper Cavs went full r****d, but this is the NBA, you never know how a player is going to adapt to it no matter how they looked in college.

What if Jonas turns into a Euro bust in Toronto, you never know

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Robinson, Barnes would have been my picks in 2012.

I would have probably went with Biyombo in 2011. Shot blockers are hard to come by in this league.

14. AFS

AFS Member

Good point. I still feel they reached super hard with both of their 4th picks. Both Thompson and Waiters were predicted to be picked around 9 or 10 on draft boards. They could have at least traded down and have more to show for it.
    Top5 picks are hard to come by and they've had three in the last two years.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Too early to give up on Thompson and Waiters.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

They could have Michael Jordan running their franchise and they would still have a brighter future than us, only if for Kyrie Irving's sake.

That's how stupid the NBA is right now. Be completely and utterly incompetent at your job and you are certain to be rewarded. This season my job, the Rockets' crappiness, and David Stern are all working in concert to get me to tune out on professional basketball. And even when Stern is in the grave, he will have that imp Adam Silver to replace him. What a horribly run league. I hope Worldwide Wes and Maverick Carter and JayZ have some coup planned for 2020.

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

While the Cavs have not made the picks I would have, if they truly wanted Dion Waiters, they pretty much had to select him at 4. Assuming Sacramento and Portland were locked in at Robinson and Lillard respectively, you had both Golden State and Toronto who had Waiters high on their boards (possibly even above Barnes). So for better or worse, Waiters' agent managed to impress at least 4 different GMs in Cleveland, Golden State, Toronto and Phoenix, as well as the Logo himself, Jerry West.

18. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Way too early to give uo on Thompson. Down the stretch when he began to start and get more minutes he was putting up 12 points and 6 rebounds. That's not bad for a raw rookie playing his rookie season in a lockout with virtually no camp.

I think the upside for Thompson is there. He is a tweener type 4/3, but that dosen't mean he can't succedd. He has good size, can run the floor, and has decent range. Give him some time to fill up his frame and learn how to play down low and he can turn into a pretty solid player.

I'll take 12/6 down the stretch as a raw rookie with upside anyday.

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson will be BUST

a smart GM would have taken Jonas last year, and drafted either Harrison Barnes( friends with Kyrie)... or drafted Thomas Robinson

smh

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Dion Waiters doesnt have the upside to warrant a top 5 selection, it was a BAD pick