1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CATO Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by darin1998, Nov 23, 2002.

1. darin1998

darin1998 Member

I am wondering why Rudy is not playing Cato. He is back from the funeral, right? If he's not in the doghouse, he needs to get at least 10 minutes (I can understand the match-up issues for the last two game, but still should get some playing time).

Can anyone fill me in on this issue? Thanks.

-Darin

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yeah, I would love to know the answer to this question too. It is a great mystery.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could the Rockets be working a trade behind the scenes, and protecting him from injury?

They have done it before.

There are a lot of teams that could use a servicable big man like Cato.

If Ming continues to develop, then there is nowhere for the Rocks to play Cato.....they can get by with Collier and Griffin/MoT as the backup center for when Yao needs a rest.

I think Rudy and CD are up to something.

KT and Cato are redundant....and if you can get rid of Moochie...well....that would be a severe positive.

DaDakota

4. Greg M

Greg M Member

Mebbe but I doubt they are looking to trade Cato right now. Rudy metioned something about Cato's conditioning and I wouldn't be suprised if he has a minor injury.

As far as trading Moochie, where do I sign up?

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'd hate to see that -- as a backup to Yao, Cato could be indispensible. When he on his game, he's better than a lot of starting centers in this league. Admittedly, he's only on his game part of the time, but maybe coming off the bench, without the pressure to produce offensively, could let him play to his strengths. I say we keep Cato at least long enough to see if he's a good fit for that backup role.

I wonder if Rudy has considered playing him some *with* Yao, kind of as a PF/C. He'd have problems defensively, but Yao in the middle could help out there, and it mighy be fun to see those two in the game simultaneously. Not as a starter, mind you, but just to throw something different at opposing defenses. Just a thought. It would certainly solve our problem of not having a banger at PF.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Cato might just not be mentally ready to play yet. Someone has said he was very close to his grandmother so maybe that's it.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Hopefully hes just recovering, Cato can be the best back up center in the league. And it would be interested to see Ming and Cato on the court at the same time and put eddie at the 3. it would be a block party for sure.

8. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Somthing doesn't add up!

You don't go from starting center, averaging 11 rebound/game to never getting in the game despite Yao's success. Sometimes I really don't understand Rudy's substitution patterns, and maybe this is just one of them.

And while I'm on that subject, why the hell to you bench Hawk and insert the little dribbler who can't shoot at crunch time?:rolleyes:

Dallas Rocket

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Cato hadn't played nor practiced with the team for over a week and you guys expect him to be playing as soon as he gets back? I just think he has to earn his way back, and now earn back his starting spot. This should be good :D

10. coolpet

coolpet Member

next thing we know, Yao is in the bench and not get any playtime
    hopefully not :D

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I love having Cato here as a backup to Yao Ming, but especially as someone for Yao Ming to go against in practice. Cato provides a big, strong body that would certainly help in Yao Ming's transition to playing against stronger, physical centers. Who knows, maybe he'll be worth his contract in a roundabout way . . . :)

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What are some of you smoking?

Cato is not getting traded, yet. If he ever gets traded, it will be in the offseason. You cant ever have enough big men. Yao will be the starter and Cato will be the backup.

Besides, playing the Lakers requires 2 big men that can play (This excludes Collier). Cato and Ming vs. Shaq : Thats the name of the game.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

It probably has something to do with conditioning Im sure. Cato has been out for a while now, and I think he had a nagging injury before that.

I think in time he will be back in the starting lineup w/ Ming off the bench..... or vice versa.

I disagree with DaDa on Cato.....

Why trade our most serviceable backup at the 5?? You really think Collier is up to that task?? Cato was kicking some serious a$$ before he went AWOL, and I cant think of one team that would take on his huge contract either.

14. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

You don't lose that much conditioning in one week :eek:

You get him in the game for at least a few minutes to get the conditioning going again. something else is up. i wondered why he didn't come back right after the funeral. he missed two games once it was over :confused:

if i had to guess I would say that he was supposed to come back at some specified point and didn't show up for a couple of days and now he is sitting at the end of the bench.