1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson's 03/18 Update on Thabeets personal coaching sessions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BetterThanEver, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am really proud of Thabeet. He is still working hard, unlike previous young players that Dawson tried to coach(Dorsey). He has already gone through 6 workouts with CD.

CD seems to indicate that coach Calhoun never taught Thabeet defense, but asked him to only stay in the lane.

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/03/...nding_rockets.html?blockID=443847&feedID=3714

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets hope to transform Thabeet
    By David Dalati

The lineage of Rockets big men is impressive: Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming. That's a pair of Hall of Famers and two players that put up very solid numbers before injuries wrecked their careers. Longtime Rockets assistant coach and general manager Carroll Dawson tutored all of them at some point.

"We've been very blessed as far as the big people that have come through here over the years," Dawson said. Although Dawson is technically retired, his latest project is Hasheem Thabeet, the 7-foot-3 center whom the Rockets acquired from the Grizzlies in the Shane Battier trade. Since becoming a Rocket, Thabeet has undergone six one-on-one sessions with Dawson on how to be an effective big man in the NBA. And Thabeet can use the extra work.

After being drafted second overall out of UConn by the Grizzlies in 2009, Thabeet has been a virtual non-factor as an NBA player. In fact, the Grizzlies sent Thabeet to the league's developmental league for a stint in an effort to improve his game. Nearly two full seasons into his NBA career, Thabeet has averaged just 2.3 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. With the Rockets, Thabeet gets a new start with a team which considers him a project. Dawson's charge is to transform Thabeet into a productive NBA player.

"(Dawson) told me a lot of fundamental things," Thabeet said of his tutorials with Dawson. "The way to shoot the jump hook and a lot of those type things."

"He has a pretty good touch," said Dawson. "There are a few tests that I've run the big men through that can tell what kind of touch they have and his is not bad, especially for 7-foot-3. His movement is good, his footwork is awful. He's got a lot to learn."

But Dawson's biggest current point of emphasis is the defensive end of the court.

Thabeet said he was certainly aware of the differences between college and the NBA, but he continues to adjust.

"In college, in the zone they let you just sit in there and block shots," Thabeet said. "Here you gotta go in and out every three seconds."

Dawson is helping Thabeet learn to play NBA defense.

"At UConn Coach Calhoun just put him in front of the bucket and told him to block everything that came in and he did," said Dawson. "He got drafted on that. That's what got him into the league and that's what we're trying to strengthen and enhance. What you do is try to enhance what he's doing and this summer we may change some things or add. Post moves is one of the things he needs. He doesn't have that at all."

While he is currently far from the comparison at this point, Thabeet has an upside that may one day be comparable to Dikembe Mutombo's body of work. While Mutumbo was limited as an offensive player, he became a force in the NBA as a shot blocker and rebounder.

Thabeet said Dawson has preached patience.

"He told me just because you start working with something today you're not going to get it the next day or three days later," Thabeet said. "It's going to take time and a lot of work. So I have to just work."

Thabeet has displayed a willingness to do the non-glamorous grind required.

"I don't think he's ever been shown this much attention," Dawson said. "He loves it. We get there early. We always work out before practice, and he has to get there early. He comes with a smile on his face and goes to work."

Thabeet may not go down among the best Rockets big men, but he's getting the advantage of tutoring from the guy that's worked with almost all of them.

4 people like this.
  2. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

i have faith on thabeet, certainly he would play next season .

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

nice article, thanks for posting this. I hold out a small amount of hope that Thabeet can make a difference for us one day. at least he's not 30 or 35 yet, :)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is FANTASTIC news, if he works hard he can become a decent player, you can not beat a 7'3" athletic big....sounds like he just needed someone to believe and to work with him.

You can't teach height....GO CD GO !!!

Thanks for posting this.

DD

1 person likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Maybe he will someday not be called THABUST!!!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For some reason, when I read this quote I couldn't help thinking, "I hope this young kid doesn't fall for the attention of some conniving tramp who destroys his youthful innocence, and causes him to start sleeping in late and missing early practice."

man, I'm jaded.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the great thing is with his size, if he just learns a decent jump hook and decent defensive positioning, he can be a very effective player right away.

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Dorsey didn't work hard?

I thought he worked hard but he was just r****ded.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So all his coaches thus far have just used him and taught him nothing? Wow how sad.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

To me this does not say the organization has no faith in Thabeet, that the team only took him in to match salaries.

To me this says the team does have faith in him. How much? I don't know, but this proves to me that they have some hope that he can contribute to this team in some way.

Otherwise they would have just let him rot on the bench like Taylor did or Williams does now.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He should get better and be a decent shot blocker. He must remember, the risk of being a good shot blocker is you might/will occasionally get posterized. Having said that, you will reverse-posterize with stunning blocks more often.

12. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He still has time. He's only 24. Two solid years of hardcore work into his game, and he will definitely be a rotational player. Give him another year or two of consistent minutes along with more practice and I can very well see him becoming a defensive factor.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Definitely lazy. While Dorsey was with the Vipers, he would get wasted in Mexico, and come the next day to practice half-***ed.

It was really bad. The Rockets and Dorsey agreed that the front office would hold his passport, because he couldn't control himself.

14. AggieRocketsFan

I'm glad someone finally told him about the 3 second rule...

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He needs to be sent to the Dynamo instead of Vipers.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How many coaches out there are actually qualified to teach a big man. I can only think of two, Pete Newell and CD.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I actually think Thabeet is a sad story. As the article highlights, Thabeet is gifted but has had high expectations with little attention or mentoring. I hope the Rockets can make something out of him, for his own sake.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think Dorsey really tried towards the end of his stay here. You saw some of his improvement in the minutes he got before he was traded. And while don't think he was r****ded he certainly was not the brightest big in the league. That was his biggest downfall he just wasn't very smart. It's hard to improve when you don't get what you need to do to improve. I still think it is doable for almost the dumbest if they really work hard at it. But Dorsey for most of his stay here appeared to be a bit Lazy and dumb. ANd that is the worst combination.

The verdict is out on Thabeet. but if he is really and truly eager to learn than I expect to see improvement. Playing D in this league is hard and size helps but doesn't insure success. Just look at Hill struggle to play D. ANd he is improving albeit ever so slow. Thabeet only needs to improve his D and he will find minutes on the court.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

CD is the man, ex-uncle in-law.

20. oneleftalive

oneleftalive Member

awful footwork? crap, but none the less you work with what you got. i still like him and i want to see him in our future plans.

1 person likes this.