1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Carlos Lee and Ground Balls

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Phil, May 29, 2007.

1. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does Lee not run out most ground balls? And I'm not basing this solely on the game ending double play he had Tuesday night against the Reds (which was pretty disappointing, btw). I've seen this time and time again whenever he hits a grounder. I understand that he's fat, but he's not as slow as his frame may insinuate.

<b><i>Please don't get me wrong</i></b> - he's about the only consistent thing (along with Pence) in the regular lineup right now. He's the NL leader in RBI's (I know, even with our pathetic offensive performances) and in the top 10 in HR's. I love his bat and do not have a doubt in my mind he's worth what Uncle Drayton's paying him - he's exactly what we needed at the #4 slot (albeit, we need much more for our offense). I just really wish he would run out those grounders, even if he is a superstar...at least for the sake of our team morale right now. I am not about to act like some of those dumb fans who start blaming him for our latest loss - it's a collective effort like everything else in baseball. He's definitely not as bad as Barry Bonds, who just makes me sick when he practically walks to first base after hitting grounders, sometimes even stopping halfway.

C'mon, El Caballo. Run those balls out! (pun intended)

2. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

i completely agree....gonnzalez slipped on that double play ball and if lee was hustling out of the box, he could have at least made that play close. instead, he was thrown out by a mile.

tomorrow's a new day.....

3. WWR

WWR Member

I have noticed it with many big leaguers, especially Lee. I know that most routine grounders are fielded and thrown accurately, but you never know when an error is going to be made!!

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You guys do realize that it was a well hit ball that the SS caught basically already standing on 2B? Yes, he slipped, but he still had time because he didn't have to move 2 get both outs. It's not like the ball was kicked back to the mound and he still got both.

5. msn

msn Member

No excuses. Always, always, *always* run out a ground ball. It's bush league and unprofessional (with apologies to DD) to do any less.

Every major leaguer can take his cue from Jeff Bagwell on that lesson.

6. Buck Turgidson

We were spoiled. Look around the league, there's only a couple of dozen guys that hustle all the time.

7. Tracy McIverson

How about Everett not legging out that inside-the-park-homerun? He just assumed it was gonna be fielded in center, so he casually jogged to first, and that eventually caught up to him when he was barely gunned out at home.
    It was a one-step difference.

If that was Hunter Pence, he would've been hauling ass to first to begin with, and could've easily turned it into a HR.

Everett would've been safe at home, and the game woulda been 2-2 (probably) if he would've taken off full-speed out of the batter's box.

You gotta think he woulda been so excited about actually getting a hit and an RBI that he woulda started off faster?

Punk B*tch

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

99% of players in that situation would've run the same way.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick some of you will b**** about anything. If you wanna b**** about something on that play, how about the phantom tag?

9. Tracy McIverson

99% of players aren't so completely awful that they never get a chance to run out plays. My point is that Everett HAS TO BE that 1% who actually does, because that is all he has to offer.

The tag was bs tho

10. msn

msn Member

RM95, I don't complain about much, but lack of effort I will. No matter who it is.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But that's not what it was last night. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone run out a single at a sprint. If this was a shot he thought was a HR and ended up being a single because he trotted out of the box, then yeah, but this looked like it would be a single at best. I'm not going to blame the guy for not thinking inside the park HR when the ball left his bat.

12. Tracy McIverson

Pence would've ran it out

13. msn

msn Member

aaaahh. I was still on 'los not running out the grounder; my bad. Even if 99% of big leaguers don't, and even if he's a great guy and the best hitter the Astros have, I still don't like it.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh, that I do have a problem with. I'm just not going to criticize a guy for not sprinting out of the box for what appeared to be a single.

15. Buck Turgidson

Of course he would have, Hunter Pence eats tenpenny nails & sh!ts razor blades.

16. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

hes almost william wallace.