1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landru on espn news

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mehdi, Mar 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Right now

2. ekim

ekim Member

Recap?

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Landru? Is that his new nickname. I like it.

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

lol sorry typing too fast

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Talked about Shane being the leader of the team..

no superstitions for the winning streak.

Thinks the fans like him alot in houston

thinks he can win ROY

also talked about yao's surgery and his leadership..and purdue thats about it pretty interesting

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

"There was war... convulsions... the world was destroying itself. Landru saw the truth; he changed the world."

- Reger
    Landru was first a man, and then a machine.

Star Trek- Return of the Archons

7. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Landry speaking about the Rockets march to the Championship and quoting the Borg:

"Resistance is futile."

8. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Wow that's ballsy. Posting Star Trek stuff in a sports forum.

9. mtran

mtran Member

landry thinks he has a shot at winning ROY? hes not even the best rookie on this team.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

so what? You dont like a rookie has ambition. I wish everybody on this team played like they want to win MVP, 6th man, DPOY, ROY, most improved.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Is that an issue? There's a lot to love about Shane. Fundamentally sound, excellent court sense, hustle player, great defender, gives up his body......

And it makes sense that he would be the leader. Extremely intelligent, likable, articulate, great presence........he has all the traits of a great leader.

But he isn't a superstar. Never will be. He can't put the team on his back and carry them to a win. He can lead, he can instruct, he can mentor..........but he can't carry the team by himself.

Because of the language barrier, I don't think Yao minds deferring to someone else to be the overall leader of the team. He can still "lead" by example with regard to his work ethic, and he has to be an inspiration to others..........but he doesn't have to be THE team leader.

T-mac on the other hand.................there's so much press about the expectations levied on him (ie, if we didn't get out of the first round last year, it was his fault)........granted, he's done much of this to himself.

I guess what I'm asking is this: T-mac seems to be mentally more "fragile" than someone like say, Kobe. Do you think his dip in performance this year could be due to the realization that with Yao's overall value to the team and Shane's presence as a leader............that he will never be anything more than second fiddle?

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Landry has a big mouth! ;)

13. mtran

mtran Member

every player on this team has a role. imagine if bonzi wells played like he was the mvp. or if mike james felt like he was the most improved. every player has their roles. not everyone can play 35+ minutes and chuck up 20+ shots.

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

Well don't think you'll ever hear Kobe saying "It's on Me"

15. mtran

mtran Member

as long as your leader isnt your coach (ie dallas) then your ok. heck, avery johnson was the leader of the spurs in 99.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

^^^
    Landry's leader on the team changes everyday. He looked up to Rafer one week ago.

When the game is on the line, it's Tmac to take that shot, period. I think he is getting back into his optimal shape. In this strecth, we have been blowing out people left and right, so he didnt need to close the game. In the Sac game, he did look timid. We will see when we play lakers, spurs, anc the Celts.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hello, did anybody tell you Bonzi and James were traded about 3 weeks ago?

:)

No, if everybody thinks he is the MVP, now that will be a problem. Like you siad, if everybody tries to play to his max abilty and more in his role, we will be unbeatable.

That's why I love Landry. Agression, pride, are things that cant be taught.

18. mtran

mtran Member

imo, thats TOTALLY different from playing like an MVP. but i see what your getting at.

19. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I don't think there is only one leader on this team. Everyone is at least leading by example. All the hustling that Tmac saw from the bench during his injury made him realize that he had to put more effort on the floor.

That's leading by example.

And of course, Battier is probably the biggest catalyst for this.

Saying Tmac is not a vocal leader is also crazy. When he was out with injuries he was constantly pulling guys to the side to talk to them during the game, especially the rookies. I loved seeing that. Plus every now and again we see that same Tmac we saw in the Mav's series and Spurs 4th quarter comeback come out, and the whole team responds. I think we will see more of that in the near future since we have that same team chemistry we had with Sura, Barry, and Wesley.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe he can win it...next year? :rolleyes: