1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Maintenance Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blake, Dec 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I was hoping for some advice from some of you car gurus. My wife has a 2004 Honda Accord with roughly 48-50K miles on it. I have routinely had her oil changed and tires rotated every 3K miles, and replaced the brake pads, but that's about it

I know the dealership has a 50K mile maintenance, but I know that when I take the car there they are going to suggest a ton of stuff that will end up being close to $1000.

Based on the mileage of the car, what other preventative maint. services should I do in the future? (as in new tires, trans flush, tune up, etc...)

Thanks for any suggestions. Just don't want to get ripped off at the dealership

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

unless your dealership is that shady, just get the recommended 50K checkup. If they suggest a bunch of other things that you don't feel are necessary, you can always say "no thanks" ;)

But stick to your manual and its suggestions. If all you've done are the basics (oil, fluids, brakes and rotation) then you may be behind on some maintenance issues

3. cson

cson Contributing Member

4. Blake

Well the problem is that every dealership that I have ever dealt with ALWAYS suggests a bunch of unnecessary stuff. That's why I wanted to know what is vital around the 50K point, so that I know what is BS and what isn't. Also, I'd rather get the work done at other places, as the dealerships are always more expensive when it comes to servicing.

Apprecuate the advice, though. Thanks

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can get that information from the Honda website.

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I'd just stick to your maintenance manual. That's your best bet.

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

or the owners manual

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

:) i think some people forgot all about books

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

As everyone has said: follow the owners manual.

Thing off the top of my head at 50K:
    Fluid changes:
    -oil (every 3K, obviously)
    -tranny (I do every 20K-25K)
    -coolant (same as above)
    Mechanical:
    -fuel filter (I do mine every 10K)
    -brakes (pads and rotors, if necessary)
    -ignition wires
    -spark plugs

Also check ALL fluids, and change them out depending on how long its been since you've done so.

I don't know much about Honda's, but all of the above is relatively easy on my Mustang.

And Google is your friend: you ought to be able to get a good idea of what needs to be checked and/or done from entering "Honda 50K check up" or something similar.

10. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

You don't need to change the oil every 3k miles on the Accord. According to the owners manual for the 2004 Accord, oil change is recommended between 5K and 10K depending on your driving style.

11. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

An oil change every 3K seems excessive do you guys really follow that. I have never had any problems doing it every 5K to 7K in any car I have ever owned. Every 3K just seems like throwing money away.

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've had the same car for nearly 15 years and nearly 170K miles, so yeah, I follow it.

Runs great, btw.

13. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I usually sell cars around 150K miles or so and have never had any engine problems that would relate to oil changes. The manual actually says every 5K for hard driving conditions and every 7K (i think) for normal driving conditions. My wife drives almost 30K a year and I am not fooling with it every 3K myself. We are lucky to do it between 5K and 7K and have never had any engine problems that would relate to the changing of the oil.

14. Blake

you might be right ;)

thanks for the advice everyone.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would post in this one. I have a 1999 Honda Civic and the driver's side window is stuck. The motor on the window is still working, but the window has popped out of place and I couldn't get it back in place myself. Can anybody recommend a place to get this repaired? I looked online and found a few places, but I thought I would ask here as well. I live on the west side of Houston.