1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela has missed 10 games this season. Rockets are 9-1.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 3, 2020.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I calculated the Rockets' offensive and defensive ratings in those games. There was one game which I'm throwing out, which was the game on November 30th against the Hawks in which the Rockets won by 47 points. That is such an outlier that it would skew the results, so I'm not counting that game in these numbers:

In games Capela missed:

Offensive rating: 115.0 (2nd)
    Defensive rating: 105.7 (5th)
    Net rating: 9.3 (2nd)

That net rating would be a comfortable 2nd in the NBA today behind Milwaukee. That offensive rating would be a comfortable 2nd behind Dallas, and that defensive rating would be good for 5th, ahead of the Lakers and Clippers and close to the 3rd ranked Celtics.

As of now, the Rockets rank for the season:

Offensive rating: 113.3 (3rd)
    Defensive rating: 109.6 (15th)
    Net rating: 3.7 (8th)

Not only has Capela's absence not hurt them, it seems to actually have helped them. They've been going small for a reason. If they can add a legit 3 and D guy like Covington, it could really help to supercharge both the offense and defense. Rather than spending 14 million on a center, with this specific team, it makes more sense to spend that money mostly on a SF, and find a center that fits and can contribute elsewhere. The money would be better distributed for what this team needs.

ElDobleK, Zergling, justinh and 12 others like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I can live in a world where straightforward you tell me we won't go into Luxury and I'll buy the idea that going ultra small, like 60s small, is our best option. And I'll root for it and enjoy the ride.

But you (not you, but you get the point) have been talking about the right moment to spend, so we are angry about the lies and the posturing. And being bad at that.

I think it may be even poetic that Mike D'Antoni and Daryl Morey's last ballad with us is going to be a small ball, all guards 6'5 lineup. We may be even go from boring to fun in the same season. It's frustrating to see all the lost rebounds, but we may even make it to the 2nd round playing like that.

Bottomline, it may not make a difference, but that does not make better the lousy scenarios we have discussed.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

quick, don't let our trade partners see this!

5. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Another guy posted this early today, with the list of the games we won, give it a look, it was only against bad teams aside for Miami (without Butler), Indiana (without Turner) and Utah (Harden and Westbrook also out). The rest of the games were against Atlanta, NOLA, Minnesota, Brooklyn and similar teams so, i don't know what we can really make about that, maybe there's something here, but the opponenets just weren't good.

DCHAMP, dmoneybangbang, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously... Spacing over everything. Switching over everything.

Go get Covington and Crowder already.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That’s because we played Hartenstein ;)

apollo33, kjayp, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I won't allow cluthfans to slander Clint in this way!

[​IMG]

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I feel like this is exactly the logic they are using, and if it allows Tilman to shed some salary all the better. I’m still not crazy about the idea because it all hinges on getting someone like Covington, who they’ve already had before in Trevor Aliza, and, well, Covington. It just feels like we are always driving in circles.

11. bmd

bmd Member

That's good no matter who you're playing. Just for example, I'll pick a comparable 10 game stretch like the one from December 7th to December 25th. During that span, the Rockets went 7-3 against some similar teams:

Phoenix
    Sacramento
    Cleveland
    Orlando
    Detroit
    San Antonio
    LA Clippers
    Phoenix
    Sacramento
    Golden State

Most of those teams suck. Yet they went 7-3, losing to Sacramento, Detroit, and Golden State.

Their offensive and defensive ratings during that stretch?

Offense: 114.4
    Defense: 110.7
    Net: +3.8

Those efficiency ratings almost exactly mimic their ratings for the season. Yet in the games Capela didn't play vs. similar competition, their efficiency ratings were much better.

BaselineFade, BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

because we dont play teams like lakers or bucks every night. this will get exposed in the playoffs for sure.

kjayp likes this.
  13. bmd

bmd Member

It's not Clint as a player. He's very good. He just doesn't fit in as well with this year's specific team. He could 100% help other teams.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  14. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe. But do you think they're beating those teams with the team how it is now? Some personnel needs to be shuffled around to make this work, and Clint is the only realistic pathway to making that happen. Getting a legit forward 100% absolutely has to happen for this year and going forward. If that happens, it's much easier to fill in the holes.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They were like 56-3 with him and Harden and CP3 - about 2 years ago....so....uh....your point is/was?

DD

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

the equivalent of “Rockets were 14-0 without Ariza during the regular season...let his ass go, he’s overrated and not worth the money”...2 years later, and we’re still trying to replace him

17. HP3

HP3 Member

We get it man...the point is Cp is gone and Russ is here so we gotta do what we gotta do. I hate trading one of our players as much as anyone.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

If bmd's next thread is something positive about Hartenstein, we'll know @bmd is Harty's CF handle. ;)

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=su8ahnq

Russ/Rivers
    Harden/Ego/Okogie
    Covington/Iwundu
    AG/Thabo
    Timelord/Harty/Tyson

https://bellyupsports.com/2019/08/the-most-versatile-pick-n-roll-defenders-in-the-nba/

This is what happens when AG is allowed to play in pace and space system. 2nd best offense behind GSW in 2018.

https://basketballforever.com/2017/11/01/aaron-gordon-driving-orlando-magics-stunning-turnaround

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I appreciate the effort and posts but there are so many variables (did Harden go off, Bad Russ or Good Russ, etc...) that it's not as simple as Clint. I think this team should be built to beat the Denver, Clippers, and Lakers. Those are the only teams I legit see getting in the way to a Finals runs. They are not exactly the same but we should build a roster than can adjust to win against those teams.

pgabriel likes this.