1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop this trade speculation stuff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Aug 20, 2010.

1. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Short answer? No but you can stop reading trade speculation threads.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I'm sorry but you'd have to be a moron to not want Carmelo Anthony. He's a beast. We will not win a championship with our current squad.. Like it or not.

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

That really doesn't make sense..
    Saying you don't need a superstar to win because those superstars haven't won. :confused:

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

You're contradicting yourself. You say we're contenders if Yao is healthy.. yet Yao has only won one playoff series? :confused: And only when he was surrounded with more talent.. Without Artest we probably wouldn't have gotten past round 1.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't mind the trade speculation, but I don't like it when people say we are not a contender, or that we don't have any star players.

How many championships has Lebron, Bosh, or Carmelo won. All three are stars, but none have won championships. I don't see how getting Carmelo is going to instantly make us into more of a "contender" if we have to give up valuable pieces of our current team.

I really enjoyed last year, and I think we have a much stronger team this year.

6. kops630

kops630 Rookie

Whatever any of the reason, we shouldn't trade Yao;because we likely to be the most famous team of nba in China (out of Lakers and Bulls), we can't just stop our steps here. Future is much more important then just "a chance to entre the Final"

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think Yao's destiny only has two roads.

1) He does well, doesnt get injured. Then, he doesnt retire. We wouldnt want to trade him. And we resign him.

2) He gets hurt again. He retires. Nothing to trade.

8. johnkamla

johnkamla Member

Good post, op. My sentiments exactly. All this speculation detracts from the excitement for the players we already have. I think Yao will show himself to be one of the best closers in the game when he's surrounded by 4 guys who can shoot. As JVG once said, Yao in the low post is the best offense in the league. Deny him the ball and pick your poison, Brooks or Martin.

9. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

I do not get this logic. :confused: Wade has a ring , what point are you trying to make. Superstars win championships period. Obviously not every superstar wins one but you need one to win a chip.

10. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

i look at it like this

our team now with a healthy yao = very very good team but not championship level

our team without yao= mediocrity

that should just make it clear to everyone that if we have the chance to get a carmelo anthony we damn sure better take it. dd can say what he wants but adding a legit "star" (and melo is close as they come to the likes of dwade and lebron and kobe.) makes us alot better for the present and for the future! u gotta risk it to get the buiscut and people who are against making a deal like this need to wake up! u guys are still under the 2009 spell, the sucess we had against the lakers and the suprising record we had this past year has made u think we dnt need anybody else and its pissing me off. im not guna be mad if we dnt get melo but we have to at least try for goodness sakes people wake up

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I agree with OP, I am so sick of this trade speculation garbage. First it was Bosh, then Iggy, then Granger, then CP3, and now Melo. For @#$%'s sake, give it rest man....

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The point is just because we trade for a superstar doesn't mean we win a championship. If we give up too much in acquiring a superstar it could make us weaker. You see, superstars don't win championships period. Many superstars have not won championships. The Jazz had Malone and Stockton all those years and never won a championship. Mario Ellie and Robert Horry were not superstars, but they played big roles in winning championships. The Pistons won a championship without a true superstar, and I think the Rockets can too. And I consider Yao a superstar anyway, so we have our star player.

If we could add Carmelo without giving up too much, then I'm all for it. But it seems like people are desperate to give away our best players and a boat load of draft picks for one "superstar".

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This current team is built to contend for a championship period. With a healthy Yao i feel they could do that. Melo would make us a better team,but only if we don't have to give up too much to get him. Still we don't need him as much as people are makingit seem. Finally, This team does not need a "superstar". They have all the star power they need. ;)

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Here's the deal: A team without a superstar can have a winning season and can go far in the playoffs. But the odds that they'll win a championship are dismal. In the last 30 years, only one team without a true superstar has won an NBA championship.

I'm going to repeat that for the slow ones among you that think borderline all-stars (Martin, Brooks, a hobbled Yao) are sufficient:

In the last 30 years, only ONE team without a true superstar has won an NBA championship.

Yes, we could be like those 2004 Pistons and take it all with a solid roster of non-elite players. But 29 other years out of the last 30, that wasn't good enough.

Think about those odds when you say we don't need Carmelo.

15. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I suppose if you win a championship, the media retroactively makes a few players on your team superstars.

Its called renegotiating your past. It happens all the time.

16. dharocks

dharocks Member

Who does this apply to in the last 30 years or so?

Lakers - Bryant
    Celtics - Garnett
    Spurs - Duncan
    Heat - Wade/Shaq
    Lakers - Shaq
    Bulls - Jordan
    Rockets - Hakeem
    Pistons - Isiah
    Celtics - Bird
    Lakers - Magic/Kareem

The most recent Pistons champions didn't have a superstar, neither did the 79 Sonics. But the only player I can see who you could make the argument for is Wade, who at least performed like a superstar, even if he wasn't given the title yet.

EDIT: For the sake of argument, let's define 'superstar' as top 10 player in the league (with an argument for top 5 status), as that seems to be the category that Melo falls under, according to the BBS.

#96 dharocks, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I once had sex with a beautiful latin woman who said she was sterile and couldn't get pregnant and I have a seven year old daughter. The woman said she could never get pregnant. I believed her, And I thought iwas sterile too. I am not sure what my oint is but I wish I could have stopped the pregnancy speculation at the time and still I have a 7 year old daughter. And I love her.

Ok I am drunk on friday

18. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Wow.... :cool: .

19. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. Why all the trade speculation?

Quite simply, Morey has all but flat out said we will be trying to parlay our depth/assets into a Superstar player this summer. You can debate whether that is the right course of action, but there's your reason for the speculating.

2. Do you need a Superstar to contend?

Absolutely. For the simple reason that you need elite shot creators for broken plays to win big. You can have the best system, the most unselfish bunch, the best passing/cutting team all you want, but in a 7 game series when teams have scouted eachother and know eachother like the palm of their hand, plays will invariably break down. This is where the Superstar comes in. Some one who doesn't need a play ran for them, and can simply create something out of nothing. Say what you want about Carmelo's overall game, but this is his absolute strength, maybe to a fault.

All this 1 in 30 teams talk is silly. No its not a coin flip. That's like saying when your 2 7 off gets crushed by pocket Aces it's because it was just a coin flip. All the past history was irrelevant. Ok, I'd like to flip some coins with you.