1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we start giving Harden props for his good defense lately?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Other then that game against the Wizards, Harden's defense has improved significantly. He has been giving more of an effort on that end of the floor lately and those 4th quarter stops against Lee last night were very impressive.

A few months ago, clutchfans bashed Harden for his laziness and his unwillingness to even try, but I have seen a different Harden, challenging shots and doing a better job running through off-ball screens. He also did a good job on Klay last night.

Can we please give the man his props! I think he has been growing as a player and he is turning (not turned) the corner.

And oh yea...#Pray4Harden

1 person likes this.
  2. moose

moose Member

That strip on Lee was huge. He has been playing better on defense lately. Hopefully, he can continue the intensity into the playoffs.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea while that was going on I couldn't help but think of Karl Malone being stripped by Jordan and Jordan making the step back at the other end.

4. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

I see effort and improvement. There is no reason he cant be an above average defender. That Warriors game really came down to our frontcourt with Howard and Jones playing awful. This is why Harden is a superstar he almost signal handedly brought our team back.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

His off-ball defense still needs work, but I don't think it's far fetched to say Harden has elite post-defense. I don't recall Lee scoring a single FG when Harden guarded him. He was basically Chuck Hayes on defense.

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

His post defense is elite for a guard. He locked down Lee who's post game is very good. I don't think Lee scored a single point on Harden.

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Aside from good defence, you have to give prop for his improvement on his ISO. That step back at mid range has improved so much that it looks pretty unstoppable at the moment. You either have to respect his drive and commit or expect his step back mid. It's a gamble for the other team.

He is definitely our finisher.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On-ball defense from Harden is usually good, but is sometimes embarrassingly bad. Overall though, I can live with it.

His post defense is great for a SG.

But his off ball defense is usually bad. That's where he needs to improve. I think he's ball watching so much because he's always looking to jump the passing lane to make a steal. So that's something that should improve with experience as he gets a better feel for when he can sag off his man.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I think the team off ball defense as whole is just horrible.
    Also, can we stop with the switching on the Pick 'n roll?

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

He best part of having terrible off ball defence is that no one can score off it ;)

11. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Harden gave a noticeable effort last night. He was giving Lee fits in the post; looked like a bigger PBev in spurts. I wondered if he could sustain that level over the long haul — he looked like he was expending a lot of energy out there. At the very least he showed that he understands the importance of improving his D and appears quite willing to commit to it.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Strip on Lee and the drawn charge on Barnes were both great defensive plays

13. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Harden's post defense is incredible. He should really guard PFs more often (especially when T Jones is getting shredded like he was last night).

14. SunsRocketsfan

Props.. FINALLY!!

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Harden has incredible post defense. He can guard low post players - the likes of Lee, ZBo to an extent, may be even Griffin fairly well.

Where he has an issue is when opposition players come off screens, move around a lot etc like Reddick, Afflalo etc. He just can't keep up with them considering the offensive load he carries

16. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Harden had a great game both offensively and defensively. He kept us in the game. We lost because our star center got pwned by 35 years old J Oneil in the paint.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Too bad Harden was the only one who showed up last night...

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes.

Exactly. He's akin to Hayes on defense because he has such a strong base and is hard to back down. Not to mention he has quick hands. It was funny to see GSW try over and over again to exploit that matchup, not knowing that the Rockets did that on purpose. There was no mismatch to exploit there.

Harden has done this several times this year. He's a great post defender. It is odd since he's just a SG, but it is what it is.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Can't believe I'm saying this but Harden was a true 2 way player last night. His defensive effort was outstanding.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very good post. Let's hope for the best.