1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camby to miss several weeks with torn plantar fascia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 9, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Camby to miss several weeks, maybe more, with torn plantar fascia

#1 J.R., Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Yellow

Yellow Member

Did he keep this from the Rockets, how did he pass his physical? I would rather keep Brewer / Williams & Casspi at this point and give him a coaching job then keep him as a 'player'.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's insurance. Just makes Smith less of a trade prospect.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We could go 2 months without him. I hope he's not avoiding surgery only so he can possibly get on the court faster. He should do what will fix his foot with the most certainty for the last part of the season and the playoffs.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

“My plantar fascia is torn,” Camby said. “I’m trying to do whatever I can to avoid surgery.

Translation- I been knew I was in need of surgery but really wanted to have a roster spot back at home with the rockets & a extra 1,000,000 in the bank. Now I don’t want to look like I got over on the organization by taking their money even though I knew I wasn’t close to 100%.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Caveat Emptor, bro.

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I can't believe Ed Reed would do something like that...what's that? Oh, you weren't talking about Ed? My bad.

8. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

This is no good news! :(

Wow, didnt expect to see this much criticism.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

More than likely he was healthy early on this Summer when he was signed, but this injury came when he was trying to get back in shape for training camp.

I have always had problems with plantar fasciitis in the past years when I really turn up the dial from my normal workout routines. More than likely Camby suffered this injury because he went from doing nothing on vacation to going too hard too quick trying to get in shape.

Also, this happens alot of times because of footwear. You wear the wrong type of shoe for a week or two working out, feel nothing wrong, and then bam... you wake up one morning and it feels like your walking on 4 inch nails.

With this injury though its tough to say how long it will take to recover. He's got to stay off his feet as much as possible, but he's also got to be ready to go when he gets healthy as well. So bringing him back in then mix in a few weeks might be tough.

All I care about though is that he's 100% come February/March. This team is probably going to need him down the stretch, and they are going to want to rest Dwight some towards the end of the regular season for the playoffs. Camby will end up being much more important to this team this season than people on here realize.

#9 dobro1229, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have been thinking that Camby will be one of the guys let go for a while. I don't see Asik traded unless it is for a top 20 player. If he is let go, Rockets would only need to make the call between Williams, Brewer, and Brooks, most likely.

11. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

I honestly didn't expect much from him anyway with the current roster. FACT: he's 25 years older than the Rockets average team age (note: I just made that up... not sure if it's true).

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

Is there a way to keep Camby around and available without using a current roster spot?

13. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You mean cut him, and re-sign him later??

If the Rockets cut him, he will go to waivers where it is possible for another team to pick him up, and then the Rockets lose the ability to bring him back if that team keeps him.

There was a situation a few years ago where Zydrunas Ilgauskas was traded from the Cavs to the Wizards only to be bought out and re-signed 30 days later by Cleveland. I believe in the new CBA, the NBA cracked down on this rule, and there might be some higher restrictions around this situation happening again.

I think the best case scenario for the Rockets to keep him around the team and cut him with the possibility of a comeback would be for him to retire on his own beforehand. This way he could still be allowed to be around the team, and possibly be an employee of the team.

However, I'm not entirely sure if the Rockets would be allowed to bring him back out of retirement THIS SEASON without bringing suspicion from the NBA about circumventing the CBA rules.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

He wanted to transition into being a coach on a team.

I think a trio of Olajuwon-McHale-Camby coaching staff would be quite sufficient to help our bigs along.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He had plantar fascitis problems all of last year with the Knicks. I bet you never see him on the floor this year, really don't know why the guy just doesn't retire.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ring, ring, ring, ring, ring..........................

18. bmd

bmd Member

Man.. a torn plantar fascia?

My brother had plantar fasciitis and plays baseball in college. It was towards the middle of the season when he got it.

He hobbled through the second half of the season. He couldn't really run well. It sucked.

He spent the offseason with a physical therapist every day where he would do specialized exercises, get deep tissue massages on his feet, calves, and hamstrings... and they were painful he said. Very painful. They were trying to stretch out the tendons and break up the fascia (I think that's what he said).

He also had to do a bunch of stretching. And he had to get fitted for orthotics to put in his shoes. Think of it like really expensive, custom Dr. Scholls. He also had to get new shoes... New Balance... because they come in wide width and he never realized he had wide feet and his shoes didn't fit as well as they should.

So it was a 3 month long process until he was good enough to play.

And he didn't tear anything.

So I don't know how Marcus Camby is going to play this season.

19. Asian Sensation

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's a Morey's problem if we should release Camby