1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

308 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. no

55 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There were a lot more bad shots than that though lol, agree odd tweet, should have included more to get the point across.

ipaman likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is Bullock cannot be played many minutes, all he can do is shoot a little, I am not confident in him at all.

He is pedestrian and does not offer too much.

You could always make Amen a regular at the 2. Or sign Seth Curry or Tim Hardaway Jr.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Cam needs to ball out on the defensive side of the ball to earn his minutes. He should get most of his points in transition. His half-court game should be relegated to spot up shooter or iso when he has a clear over match. I was disappointed in his defensive intensity this last game. He won’t be gifted minutes with this head coach so he better fix that fast. He does not need to be a facilitator, just needs to know his role and he can be a valuable bench player this year. These guys are drinking from a firehose this early in the season. Once they develop the muscle memory and let the game come to them, they are going to be incredible on the defensive side of the ball. Shooting will probably be an issue all year unless Jalen gets consistent. We can still win 40 games with defense.

4. meh

meh Member

If we are assuming Jabari/Eason/Sengun/Green/FVV/Brooks all getting major minutes and Amen/Landale/Jeff Green getting some backup minutes, that's already 9 guys before you include Bullock. There's no guarantee that Whitmore should play even if Bullock sucks.

jim1961 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can you teach or coach “tunnel vision” out of someone?

Yeah, easy to say “You don’t pass the ball, you’re not gonna play!” or “You jack up a shot with 20 on the clock, you’re out!”

OK, so he’s gonna go to RGV and be the best player on the team (and probably get and/or take the most shots) and …… then what?

Carmelo’s gonna get the ball and hold it and survey and jab step and jab step again and then finally go to work.

red5rocket, Amiga and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not say Green is injury prone but he has had his share of toe nail problems and a hamstring if I remember correctly.

Now that Ime runs tougher practices, who knows.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think Jeff Green is guaranteed to get a lot of mins. If Cam can be a defensive dog we can live with his offensive flaws as long as he responds to coaching. Who knows if Jock is going to get minutes or not at this point. We haven’t even seen him play.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They say he still feels uncomfortable and the everlasting effects of that ankle injury.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

Cam being a chucker is one thing. Cam being a chucker with a college rep that caused him to plummet in the draft is quite different. His play seems to substantiate the rep that killed him on draft day. We shall see, but this isn’t a blip.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He was mentored by Carmelo Anthony. Ime needs to erase that me-mentality before it gets worse.

I've been watching Kiyan Anthony play YT and he's coached up by Melo to chuck it up, takes horrible shots and doesn't do the little things that make a difference.

Amiga likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Does the NBA have a position called a 'tunnel-vision scorer'? If so, there's a bright future for this young man. If not, maybe Cam can make it one – CamVision.

12. meh

meh Member

I think Jeff Green is guaranteed minutes just on the basis of being a veteran on a team that needs veterans on the floor. Landale is injured but if he's healthy he is definitely getting some backup center minutes. Regardless Whitmore is not seeing more than maybe 15mpg unless he shows he can be a non-negative player. A tall order since most rookies are negative players especially 19yr olds.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With some players the MPG average is kinda useless. Much harder to calculate out but total minutes played for the year is much more useful. Having reference points for what is high/low for a rookie & 1st 1/2 of season vs 2nd 1/2 of season is relevant as well.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Reminds me of a lot of Twitter posts. Except the part about getting them to 90 first.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The thing that may make all this make a little more sense is that the starters may play fewer minutes due to the constant defensive pressure game they are all playing and will open more minutes down the bench.

roslolian likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Questionable basketball IQ is the main reason he slid (along with the mysterious injury concerns). He's going to have games like this. But he's also only just turned 19. Literally still a teenager. The question is whether he can be coached out of his bad habits or whether they're going to stick and screw up his whole career. I don't think one game necessarily writes him out of the rotation but he's definitely going to have to earn any minutes he gets this season.

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jeff Green might be good against 3rd stringers but I just do see the meaning him going against 2nd stringers every game.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be surprised if he gets 15 mins to start the season. The only way for him to have a legit role is being a dog on defense. I doubt Ime really cares too much about his tunnel vision on fast breaks, that’s generally a pretty good attitude in that situation. He should be coached to be a spot up shooter and cutter in the half court.

20. kpdark

kpdark Member