1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy sucks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Jan 1, 2002.

1. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Calvin Murphy is one of the few sports icons we have in this town. He may say a few things that may leave you shaking your head, but he adds alot of spirit to the telecasts.

I vote he stays- for a long time.

2. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I just think there are time when Bill wants to reach over and show Murph pimp him until his hair comes back. I agree he is funny but every once in a while I would like to hear Jimmy P. instead. He is a good announcer I'll be it he's radio and we are talkin' TV. I just can't hear him because I live in New Orleans.

3. Tmo

Tmo Member

Calvin 'n' Bill are much worse than Phil Chenier 'n' pal who cover the Wizards.

4. heypartner

heypartner Member

Excellent post, paso doble. hehe.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Im laughing just thinking about that guy. Its part of the reason I turn on the Boston games on league pass sometimes, just to hear how much of a homer he can be. And he generalyl says it in all seriousness too. The fellas from Minnesota are really really dry. Calvin is far and away the biggest character in NBA broadcasting. He also still holds the single game record for most points scored by a Rocket.

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

Calvin's really nice in person.
    But as a broadcaster, like others have said, he's an acquired taste. To be honest, I hate Bill Worrell...

Gene Peterson (radio Rockets announcers) is of course, THE best Rockets announcer out there...

rH

7. Live

Live Member

Hey, I know it's already been said, but anytime you have a compalint about Calvin or Bill just try to watch another announcing crew, like the Bulls' announcer.

Besides being big-time homers (OK, not necessarily a bad thing), listening to those guys would make you believe that the only guys in the entire NBA capable of playing the game are all on the Bulls, and what every other player does is due to referee incompentance. And on top of that, they're boring.

'The grass is always greener...'

8. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Yeah....I love Murph! His is one of the reasons I am a Rockets Fan.

Q: What is an Aggie birth certificate?
    A: A letter of apology from the Trojan Rubber Company.

Now get off Calvin! Not everyone can wear a plaid pimp suit.

:D

9. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

Calvin Murphy is a broadcaster only for Rockets organization.. not for TNT.. not for NBC... He has his own unqiue style to entertain viewers and Rockets fans. If he stinks like u have said.. why do you think they are keeping him around?.. He can not dress??.. please.. you went to A&M what do you know about fashion?

10. Smokey

Smokey Member

Compared to the rest of the league, Calvin is pretty good. Would you rather have Joel Meyers?

whoop whoop

11. TheGreatest

TheGreatest Member

I will say that Calvin Murphy is the perfect complement to Bill Worrell. Agreed that Calvin is no Gene Peterson or Chick Hearn, I would have to say that he is better than a lot of the announcers today.

For clarification, T.U. is what the Aggies call the University of Texas.

And, Aggies do dress very well. I am an A&M professor. I ought to know.

12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

So when the Aggies play Tulane University, people might actually understand the beat the hell out of TU chant. Besides the Aggies, NO ONE in the WHOLE Country thinks that's funny or makes any sense.

I have a friend who is a Nebraska fan, who went to Kyle Field to see Nebraska play the Aggies and she asked me, why the hell do they chant 'Beat the hell out of TU' when they are playing Nebraska?!

Anyways, if you have NBA league pass, or live in Austin, you know that Calvin Murphy and Bill Worrell are way better than the other TV announcers with the exception of TNT. And if you ever heard the Spurs TV personnel, you know that Bill and Calvin are Gods compared to them.

13. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Member

I like Calvin, but my favorite remains Bill Walton and Ralph (forgot last name) doing the Clippers broadcasts. I like their chemistry together even more than Bill and Snapper Jones. And the Clips are just fun to watch anyway.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Calvin is funny, but he is no great shakes.

However, if you ignore all the self agradizing talk and listen to what he says, he actually makes very good basketball sense.

He talks about the players and their limitations or what they are doing right or wrong.

I can live with Bill and Calvin.

DD

15. knifejc

knifejc Member

I guess i've gotten so use to Murphy over the years, i can't even listen to any other announcers. And since i live in Atlanta now IMHO the guys for Atlanta will quickly put you to sleep. But like a previous poster said Murph is an acquired taste

16. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

chick hearn needs to retire. he's too old and he screws up to much. i think he called robert horry, rick fox once. i think he called shaq, wilt by accident.

the spurs are the worst. they are just horrible, all the tv people do is complain about fouls.

i do agree, the clippers are funny with walton.

the knicks are good with frazier and albert.

17. Uprising

Uprising Member

Hey be a hater to aggies! every group has a a flaw, here is ours, Calvin is good. Him and Bill have been voted the best sports casters in the nba. Bill and Calvin rule!! :cool:

18. Uprising

Uprising Member

I meant dont be a Hater.:p

19. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Aggie is just pissed off at Calvin, because he was ragging on the Aggies the other night.

I don't think Calvin likes them Aggies very much.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

Calvin and Bill both have unique skills. Bill's well known skill is the ability to kill a freethrow.

Calvin will mention a strength or weakness and the very next play that exact scenario unfolds. I'm amazed.

Calvin will say, "The Rockets needs to find a way to run a high pick for KT." Moments later KT scores off a pick.

Or "Rocks need to do a better job of protecting the passing lanes since Team X is really sagging." Moments later Player X picks off a pass.

Calvin has a very good understanding of the game and can verbalize it well. That is when he's done laughing about some cookies or something.

...an acquired taste. I've lived in Detroit and appreciate Cal and Bills commentary.