1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling DCkid and Any Other Sigur Ros Fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

DC and any other Sigur Ros fans,

What do you think of their latest album, aka "2 Sausages Kissing Each Other" or " ( ) "?

I listened all the way through it in my car (I know, I know, it is not the same effect as listening to it all the way through continuously), and I sure hope that their next CD will be better. "Agaetis Byrjun" was awesome and I get something out of it every time I listen to it.

Anyway, just curious to see what other people think about this unusual album. Also, I am wondering how much influence they have had on Radiohead and vice versa.

2. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

What was wrong with it?

3. Manny Ramirez

I don't know specifically what was wrong with it. I just know that when I listen to it compared to "Agaetis Byrjun", I was disappointed.

Maybe I had such high expectations for " ( ) ", that I wound up never giving it a fair chance.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I listened to it on my way to work this morning just to refresh my memory. Haven't listened to it in a couple months.

My take on <i>( )</i> is that it's a beautiful album, but much smaller in scope than <i>Agaetis Byrjun</i>. I really love songs 1-4 on the album and would almost put them on the same level as some of the songs on its predecessor. Song 5 is the only one that really does nothing for me. The remaining 3 songs are good, but not up to the same level as the songs on <i>Agaetis Byrjun</i>, in my opinon.

Basically, there just seems to be less instrumentation, softer soundscapes, and more monotony on the new album. That being said, the singer's delilvery is still pretty effective.

I just don't get that same "wow" feeling from the new album as I did from the spectacular productions off of <i>Agaetis Byrjun</i>. Still, without measuring the two against each other, I think <i>( )</i> is a fine album. It just takes a little more patience.

As far as Radiohead, somehow I get the feeling that Sigur Ros has had more of an effect on Radiohead than Radiohead has had on them. After all, <i>Agaetis Byrjun</i> came out in 1999, one year before <i>Kid A</i>.

5. Manny Ramirez

DC,

Thanks for the post. You summed up my feelings about "( )" perfectly. It is still a solid album but definitely pales in comparison to "Agaetis Byrjun". Oh well, I will still buy their next album without hesitation.

6. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I really like ( ) myself.. I wouldn't say I like it better than Agaetic Byrjun though.. Track 3 off the newer one has to be my favorite Sigur Ros song. I just melt when I throw that one on.. It was actually used in the season finale of CSI Miami.. When I was in NYC, I met this woman from Iceland. She was playing violin in an ensemble that had travelled to New York for a month long gig. Anyway, I mentioned Sigur Ros and she said she played with them at this huge Iclandic Festival.. How cool is that!?

Have you guys heard their 'Angels of the Universe' soundtrack w/ this other guy Hilgar Ohm Hillenson (or something like that)? Its pretty cool but not as good as either of their albums, imo. Still, its very mellow and relaxing. I enjoy throwing it on when I get a massage.

If you like Sigur Ros, let me know if you've heard Godspeed You Black Emperor. They have been out longer and have a similar style. I guess they are a 9 piece group out of Toronto.. I prefer Sigur Ros but Godspeed is definitely a worthwhile listen.

7. Manny Ramirez

3finger,

I'll have to check out that soundtrack album. I have heard of Godspeed You Black Emperor but just their name only as it is a group that has been recommended to me by Amazon.

Picking up "Agaetis Byrjun" was really sorta of a fluke, as I had heard so much about it, that I finally broke down and bought it.

The first time I listened to it, I didn't know what to think, but then I listened to it again like 4 months later and it was so friggin beautiful. That is when I bought " ( ) ".

When I ever get off this jazz kick that I have been on, I need to get some Godspeed as well as that soundtrack and maybe a little more Dylan.