1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: WSJ: Everyone's moving to Texas: Cali to Texas , U Haul champs back to back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Why Cali folk moving down to the Lone Star state?

1. Taxes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. business friendly

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Politics

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Can't get a table at French Laundry while Newson and the SF mayor can

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. virus lockdown

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. their favorite basketball team, the Houston Rockets and Clutchfans are there

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i had to google Shannon Tweed- forgot where i had seen her before...

tinman likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would live in California if it weren't so damn expensive and crowded. If I could live in San Diego or Santa Barbara for the same price as Texas, I would move in a second. That being said, Austin is getting pretty damn expensive also. Average sized houses here are getting close to the half million mark and I've seen small townhome in desirable locations list for a million

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im in south central austin - i paid $135 for my house in 2008 and if i sold it today id probably get $600. a year ago it was roughly $400. i own my own business so im not going anywhere, but its very tempting to sell and get about 30 minutes outside the city for something newer, bigger and cheaper.

article below came out yesterday in austin business journal. might be behind a paywall, but here you go...

its crazy that 11% of americans have moved in the past year. i like the term "the great reshuffling" - austin is turning into san fran/L.A./NYC overnight in terms of pricing. we're going from a 2nd tier city to a 1st tier. ive also heard the term "historic re-set" when it comes to the housing market. there is no bubble here - this is the new normal and we aint going back.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/04/08/austin-relocations-zillow-data.html

Snippet of data highlights how LA, Bay Area are pushing Austin's population into overdrive
    11% of Americans have moved in the past year, report says; 'Great Reshuffling' is on

Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth are top markets for people moving from the Los Angeles area, according to a new Zillow report that analyzed moving-company data.

The Covid-19 pandemic has caused many Americans to rethink the meaning of home and their living arrangements, thanks partly to the rise of remote work, according to Zillow’s first Mover’s Report.

Some 11% of Americans have already moved in the past year, some by choice and others by necessity, according to the survey. Austin is a beneficiary of what the Zillow report terms the Great Reshuffling, which is causing millions of additional households to enter the real estate market as a result of the pandemic.

Austin and the Dallas area are part of a Sun Belt surge, as movers with the ability to work remotely seek out relative affordability and warmer weather.

Austin ranked No. 3 and DFW ranked No. 4 on Zilllow’s list of Top 5 Metros for Net Inbound Moves. Phoenix ranked first, Charlotte ranked second and Sarasota, Florida, ranked fifth.

According to the report, Los Angeles is the top origin of movers who land in Austin, followed by San Jose and San Francisco. Dallas' top three, in order of origin, are pegged are Los Angeles, Chicago and New York.

But it's important to note that this is just a snippet of total relocation data. Zillow based its numbers on SIRVA/North American Van Lines data for moves in the first 11 months of 2020.

The fact of the matter is, wider data from the Texas Demographic Center indicate that the majority of people, by far, who move to the Austin area are coming from other parts of Texas — and most of them don't use the moving service cited by Zillow. U-Haul, for instance, has its own migration numbers here but dissects its data differently than Zillow.
    The latest U.S. Census Bureau numbers, reported about a year ago, combined with anecdotal data since the pandemic that shows population growth has accelerated since, indicates the Austin area could be adding roughly 200 people a day at this time — babies included.

Zillow research finds the pandemic could bring an additional 2.5 million households to the surging U.S. real estate market, in addition to the more than one in 10 people who have already moved in the past year.

The data from North American Van Lines also finds some of the country’s largest and most expensive housing markets saw the highest net outbound moves, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago. Zillow saw for-sale inventory in these metros climb, while inventory nationally hit new lows.

“The pandemic brought an acceleration of trends we were seeing in 2018 and 2019,” Zillow senior economist Jeff Tucker said in the report. “More affordable, medium-sized metro areas across the Sun Belt saw significantly more people coming than going, especially from more expensive, larger cities farther north and on the coasts. The pandemic has catalyzed purchases by millennial first-time buyers, many of whom can now work from anywhere.”

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well for a $3 burger I like it. It’s more of a quick small burger if you don’t go nuts on the double double.
    It’s actually pretty fast to get your burger when there’s no line . I have some issues with whataburger because not all locations are consistent but the burger variety is larger.
    Five guys is the best for quality and size
    thanks for Austin point of view
    It’s more legit than when Boston people talk about Austin
    Like people who eat at Franklin, Snow’s and Muellers talking BBQ vs people who eat clams taking about brisket
    @Os Trigonum @J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Not even close now bros
    They all moving here

they want to hang with Elon and @DaDakota
    @jo mama @pgabriel

I know the dumb east coast people thinking nobody is moving to Texas but they are a Ja rule while we DMX

#145 tinman, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    jo mama likes this.
  6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Scotty Kilmer migrated out of Houston because the hipsters and rising costs of living. How ironic.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Those aren’t real hipsters in Houston
    Those are just people who shopped the clearance rack at urban outfitters

Sanctity likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

No hipsters in Katy

9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

But they can afford a 911 and Tycan in their parking garages as Scotty claims?

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Those posers are leasing them bro

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Space Ghost likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

14. tinman

Supporting Member

#154 tinman, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    basso likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Texas has HIDDEN taxes.

I pay $13k per year just to live in Circle C here in Austin......so $1100 per month just for the right to live here....lol.....even if my house was paid for....$1100 per month......

Ridiculous.

DD

Nook likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

When is Ben and JLow and Willie and Elon and Sark coming over for BBQ?

cheke64 and RasaqBoi like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Try finding good brisket in Los Angeles

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

More Californians are moving to Harris County than any other spot in Texas, study says

But where do Californians land most? It's Houston.

More specifically, it's Harris County, which ranked as the most popular destination for people relocating to Texas from California, according to a recent StorageCafé analysis of Census data. The No. 1 place of origin? Los Angeles County, home to Hollywood.

Harris County also offers newcomers the biggest bang for the buck, the study shows. Here, the typical home is 57 percent cheaper than in Los Angeles County with a median home price difference of $482,010 and a median square foot difference of 577, according to the analysis. Also, homes in Harris County offer Californians more than 580 square feet in extra living space compared to LA County. The unemployment rate is much lower as well at 7.4 percent compared to more than 10 percent in LA County, whereas the average annual pay is higher in Harris compared to LA County (almost $75,000 vs. $73,000).

Harris County reported 3,263 new arrivals from LA County in 2019, according to the study. Among other California counties, Harris County also welcomed a number of new residents from San Diego County (840) and Riverside County (698).

Following Harris County in the ranks are Dallas and Travis counties, which have a median home price difference of $488,000 and $322,350 and differences of 221 and 482 square feet respectively.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  20. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah - the Californians need to leave their politics back in Cali. Their state has turned to $hit because of their $hit politics. If they to NOT bring their $hitty politics with them.

I suspect they're not leaving the politics behind. It's like a disease that kills the host, then moves to another state and kills that host.

basso likes this.