1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: WSJ: Everyone's moving to Texas: Cali to Texas , U Haul champs back to back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Why Cali folk moving down to the Lone Star state?

1. Taxes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. business friendly

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Politics

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Can't get a table at French Laundry while Newson and the SF mayor can

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. virus lockdown

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. their favorite basketball team, the Houston Rockets and Clutchfans are there

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Dude I'm at a lost at your point on almost everything in the D&D now...but at least Biden was sworn in peacefully today. :D

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This point is easy
    Texas is so awesome that the best comedian, best podcaster, best businessman and grimes who’s got some great music can hangout at Stubbs bbq .

the point is that non Texans hating on Texas can go play Mario kart with some Amish people while freezing their nuts off in a blizzard

don’t ever diss Texas
    Or Houston

and 99ers are the best
    @Ziggy

3. tinman

Supporting Member

The California people who migrated to Texas know more about why they migrated to Texas than people who don't know anything about these states .

It's like Jeremy Lin fans trying to explain the history of the Rockets by starting it off by talking about how Lin didn't get a scholarship from Stanford so he went to Harvard.

People who are on the ground in Texas know

I mean when Elon is hanging out with @DaDakota and Mathew McConahey, Non Texans are JEALOUS

Just like non 99ers who have LED TVs with no local dimming are jealous of the 99ers with OLEDs with AMD Freesync premium and GSYNC
    @Ziggy

Ziggy likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which would get you a "walk in closet" in the Bay Area. Austin real estate really has shot up in value, however. You're right about that. Anyone who's a native, or has been here for a few decades (like us), can attest to that. That impacts your property taxes for sure, unless you're old enough to tap down the increases, like we are. It's astonishing just how much home values have risen in our part of SW Austin. Heck, all over Austin.

East Austin used to be a great area where you could find a bargain really close in. I know some folks who bought a few houses there and lease them out, planning to sell eventually. Sometimes I wish I had when I see what they go for now. I thought about it.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Deck, they moving everywhere, Lakeway, Cedar Park, even DRIPPINGSPRINGS!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know and the traffic is terrible. Heck, when we moved to this neighborhood, it was considered "far out." We weren't even in the Austin city limits. You could hear cows mooing late at night. Not kidding. Loads of stars on a clear night. Now there's way too much light pollution. No cattle, obviously. Still, the schools are excellent and I'm not afraid to walk around our neighborhood at night. These days, people that move here think they're relatively close in. When we moved here 25 years ago, I could get to the state capitol in 20 minutes. It's been a really long time since that was possible.

BamBam and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Been hearing pretty much everywhere between Austin and San Antonio are receiving these refugees
    Maybe you will bump into Elon or Joe Rogan at gristmill or at a buccees

8. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. tinman

Supporting Member

@Deckard
    Pflugerville getting some love

Deckard likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

they coming to H town

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Californians... better be centrist and right refugees.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Or maybe leftist Californians can move in and vote to improve the dead last place ranking Texas has in percentage of residents with access to healthcare.

Texas also is near the bottom in k-12 education quality.

Texas is like that landlord that renovates the outside of their property and empty units while ignoring the requests of their current tenants.

Ya they attract businesses but the quality of life of the actual residents is poor relative to many other states even Cali.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the Rice professor was right, it's going to force people who want to buy a house where they want to do that quickly because the Cali folk aren't looking to drop 20 percent down, they are dropping 100 percent down.

The question you bring up is a good one, they might change politically because it's a different area and there are different issues.
    The main reason why they left in the first place is that cost of living and quality of life was decreasing.

Even ELON MUSK left.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Cost of living... Doesn't a place with higher demand have higher property values? Just checking.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Have you had enough of wall talk they don't work.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

California is a victim of its own greatness. It's just too good of a state to live in, that it has become overpopulated as people continue to move in. Pretty much all of the problems that Cali has can be tied in some form or fashion to overpopulation.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeahhhhhhh

18. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s an In and Out Burger in Katy
    There’s no whataburger in Los Angeles

think about it for sec or two
    @Reeko

Space Ghost likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, please, nobody else move here to LA. It's oh so horrible. I'd move out myself but it's so horrible living here in fantastic weather access to surfing, skiing, tennis, swimming, mountains, hikes, camping year round within a a couple hours, that I won't step foot outside the house. There are too many top notch eateries, renowned chefs, high quality wines and wineries that I just can't stand it. Everyone else would hate it as well.

Trust me, you guys don't want to move here. Stay where you are.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a failed state...literally! (teehee)

Too many Chavez's.