1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Business Week: Why the economy rocks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 9, 2005.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

via Yahoo!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/b3963075

--
    U.S.: Why Economic Growth Is Galloping

By James C. Cooper & Kathleen MadiganThu Dec 8, 9:53 AM ET

The economy is proving as unstoppable as the 11-0 Indianapolis Colts. Consumers have kept spending even in the wake of sharply higher energy prices and after their confidence was pummeled by this summer's hurricanes. And despite initial worries over demand generated by the storms and oil hikes, businesses continue to invest in new equipment and add to their payrolls.

The economy's resilience is especially evident in the latest update on growth from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The BEA's second look at third-quarter gross domestic product showed that the economy grew by a robust 4.3% annual rate, even with the business shutdowns caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. And real GDP in the fourth quarter appears to be increasing at a healthy pace of greater than 3%. For all of 2005, real GDP is on track to expand by 3.7%.

That's a bit higher than the 3.5% projected by the economists surveyed by BusinessWeek at the end of 2004. But what's more revealing is that the consensus forecast was predicated on oil prices slipping back to $39 per barrel by now and the Federal Reserve hiking its target for the federal funds rate to only 3.4% by yearend. Instead, oil remains well above $55 and fed funds have already reached 4%, with more hikes on the way.

So why has the economy performed above expectations amid unexpected developments? The main explanation seems to be that, despite the Fed's desire to tighten monetary conditions, consumers and businesses, on average, still have access to cash, whether through cheap borrowing, better income and profit growth, or rising housing and stock market wealth. Accommodative financial conditions are proving to be the economy's Peyton Manning, quarterbacking the steady forward movement in demand.

Attractive bond yields, a rising stock market, robust profit growth, and, thanks to the recent fall in oil prices, more household buying power are allowing consumers and businesses to spend. Since nothing in the outlook suggests any sharp reversal in these stimulative trends, the economy should enter 2006 with much more momentum than seemed likely only a few months ago.

MUCH OF THAT STRENGTH, surprisingly enough, will be concentrated in the consumer sector, which has weathered the shocks of 2005. The GDP revisions show real consumer spending increased at an annual rate of 4.2% in the third quarter. That's better than the 3.9% pace previously estimated, and it occurred during a quarter when gasoline prices hit more than $3 per gallon.

Fourth-quarter spending did get off to a weak start, but the major reason was that domestic auto makers removed the generous financing deals that had propped up sales over the summer, causing a huge drop in car buying from an exaggerated level. Consumers are out again shopping, as indicated by the generally upbeat sales reports from Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

One reason consumers may be willing to spend is because they are feeling more optimistic about the economy. The Conference Board's index of consumer confidence jumped to 98.9 in November from 85.2 in October. The nearly 14-point gain was the biggest increase in 2 1/2 years. The indexes covering current economic conditions and consumers' assessment for the next six months both rose sharply.

The board attributed the upbeat sentiments to a more than 40 cents drop in the price of a gallon of gas and better job growth. Fewer households rated jobs as "hard to get" in November. By the end of the month, regular gasoline had dropped to an average of $2.15 nationally, and it had dipped below $2 in some parts of the country.

BESIDES THE GAIN IN INCOME resulting from better job growth, households are also benefiting from the recent rally in the bond market. Bond traders have defied Fed policymakers this year by keeping long-term rates low even as the Fed was hiking short rates. Long yields began to edge up in the fall, when inflation worries cropped up, but yields have since fallen back. Cheap bond yields have been one key financial condition that has stimulated this economy, especially via housing.

Make no mistake, the housing sector is cooling, but activity will slow in fits and starts. Look at what occurred in October. Sales of existing homes fell off as expected, dipping 2.7% to a still impressive annual rate of 7.1 million. But new home sales jumped by 13%, to a record annual rate of 1.42 million.

Buyers, worried that rates would continue to rise, may have rushed to close a sale. But if bond yields remain low, mortgage rates could stay close to 6% in coming weeks. That would provide continued support for housing demand. More important, the dip in rates will encourage some additional refinancing activity that will bolster consumer spending as homeowners extract extra cash from their homes.

CONSUMERS AREN'T CARRYING this economy alone, though. Businesses are also contributing more to growth than they did in previous years. According to the new GDP data, inventories fell by the biggest amount since the 2001 recession. Rebuilding stockpiles will require more gains in production in coming months. And business investment in plant and equipment remains strong.

In particular, equipment outlays grew at a 10.8% rate in the third quarter, up from the original estimate of 8.9%. The pace could be even faster this quarter, based on the October rebound in capital-goods orders and shipments, after being depressed in September by the hurricanes and the strike at Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA - News) Even excluding aircraft, equipment orders continue their steady uptrend.

Easy access to money, whether from good profits growth, abundant cash flow, or cheap borrowing costs, has enabled companies to boost their capital spending budgets. The BEA's tally of third-quarter corporate profits, which accompanied its GDP update, showed that economywide earnings fell by $45 billion from the second quarter. However, that included $151.2 billion in hurricane-related losses. Adjusting for the BEA's estimates of storm losses incurred both this year and in last year's third quarter, profits from current production are up 21.4% from a year ago, the strongest showing in three years.

But the really interesting feature of last quarter's earnings is the way profit margins held up despite the hurricanes and surging energy costs. Profits of nonfinancial corporations remained at an exceptionally high 13.2% of the sector's GDP. That was down only slightly from the record 13.3% hit in the second quarter, and it continues to surpass the previous record reached back in 1997.

With strong earnings fueling capital spending, and with improving confidence and better job markets powering consumer outlays, overall demand will be strong enough to energize the economy heading into 2006. And while only time will tell if the Colts will remain unbeaten, little in the data suggests that the economy will be thrown for a loss anytime soon.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The positive news on the economy just keeps piling in. Enjoy it, people - this economy is booming.

The Bush tax cuts are looking like a stroke of genius right now.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

of course, if you're the nytimes, or paul krugman, this is gloomy news.

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Now basso, how can you still grudge the Times when Judy protected her source for so long? :)

I'm happy to hear such good economic news, I hope it keeps coming.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Personally, I hope it starts trickling down to those of us not in the upper class.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

These indicators have nothing to do with the majority of people in the U.S.

More propoganda. "If we're doing well, then you are doing well. Seriously, trust us."

Right.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

It’s early morning
    The sun comes out
    Last night was shaking
    And pretty loud
    My cat is purring
    And scratches my skin
    So what is wrong
    With another sin
    The b**** is hungry
    She needs to tell
    So give her inches
    And feed her well
    More days to come
    New places to go
    I’ve got to leave
    It’s time for a show

Here I am, I am the economy

My body is burning
    It starts to shout
    Desire is coming
    It breaks out loud
    Lust is in cages
    Till storm breaks loose
    Just have to make it
    With someone I choose
    The night is calling
    I have to go
    The wolf is hungry
    He runs the show
    He’s licking his lips
    He’s ready to win
    On the hunt tonight
    For love at first sting

I am the economy!!!

It’s early morning
    The sun comes out
    Last night was shaking
    And really loud
    My cat is purring
    It scracthed my skin
    So what is wrong
    With another sin
    The night is calling
    I have to go
    The wolf is hungry
    He runs the show
    He’s licking his lips
    He’s ready to win
    On the hunt tonight
    For love at first sting

Here I am!!!

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its an agency of the Department of Commerce. Is it possible that it's analyses are biased/skewed?

9. insane man

insane man Member

the administration would never cook the books. or pay journalists to write false stories. or try to endanger families of people who disagree with it.

10. vlaurelio

or wage a war on another country based on manipulated intelligence and risk the lives of american and non-americans..

11. vlaurelio

should be from Bush via US Department of Commerce