1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush/Gore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gr8-1, Sep 19, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dubya couldn't get into the Texas Business school. hehe. Hook em

For the record, I think Bush is a pretty smart guy, but I would bet on Gore having the higher iq.

------------------
    "Well, I don't know what I received my honorary degree in, but judging by the fine sisters in the crowd, I hope it is gynecology." Mike Tyson speaks to the crowd after receiving his honorary degree from a college in Ohio.

2. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Of course these facvts are left out of the "Who's Smarter Debate." It is not a debate at all. We're simply being told what we are wanted to hear by people with little or no accountability, whose sole allegience is to their own personal empowerment.

------------------

3. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

Who says the president is the most powerful man in the world?

Lord Tree

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't think of traditional intellegence when I think of qualities I would like to see in a president.

To me, I appreciate the following:

Compassion - seeing how government can help and hurt its citizens
    Honesty...is such a lonely word - wishful thinking.
    Sense of Humor - this is essential to being a good leader
    Cool Under Pressure - another important presidential quality
    Good Listener - underrated but invaluable skill
    Good Communicator - different from speaking - ability to communicate ideas clearly
    Bold - willing to do things that are unpopular both with his/her own party and others
    Empathetic - able to see the value and difficulty in ANYONE's life, not just their own
    Open-Minded - willing to look for answers in places others are not
    Knows Limits - a good delegator who knows when to ask for help

To me, many of these qualities have more to do with knowing yourself and having common sense. That is far more important to me than sheer intellegence.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Jeff...just curious, but which president has come closest, in your lifetime, to meeting the qualities you listed?

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First, two things:

1. Just because someone goes to Hravard or Yale, etc, does not mean that person is a genius. I have known plenty of examples where people who are not "up to standard" get in and graduate. Both Gore and Bush are from elite backgrounds, thus opening doors. The Ivy League is still very much an "Old Boys Club" who you know is just as important as your abilities.

Just my observations from talking to alumni and others who know.

2. Bein president does not mean you are smart. Personally, I think you have to be alittle mentally off to want the job. It is mostly symbolic, if you really want to enact a lot of change, you cannot do it as president - your powers are limited. So it is mostly a bunch of fuss and an ego boost. [​IMG]

Anyway, probably our most intellectual president was Wilson. He is generally considered not that great of a president. His push for the League of Nations, however, was a little prophetic.

Basically, to be president, you have to be dumb, have a large ego, have a lot of money, have many connections, and be able to tell good stories.

PS - heavy sarcasm not to be taken too seriously.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Grammar check:

"Whether or not" is redundant, thus incorrect. Whether is sufficient.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rocketman Tex: That is a very interesting question. In my lifetime, the only president that has come close to being the model of the type of person I would like as a president is Jimmy Carter.

While he wasn't exactly bold or the best communicator, he was exceedingly honest and that takes him a notch higher in my book automatically.

I think, in his case, those qualities are evident in how he has handled himself since he left office. Rather than spend his time on a golf course or at $10,000 speaking engagements, he has helped to transform the vision of a wonderful charitable organization (Habitat for Humanity) into a global phenomenon that has helped to change the lives of thousands of families.

That is the mark of a true leader.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I taped the Oprah interview today with Dubya. Where do people see that this man is dumb? He is actually VERY intelligent and funny. I wonder why people say he is dumb? The man obviously has brains.

------------------

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There has been a lot of talk about whether or not Bush is a smart man. Certainly these questions are good ones to ask during a political season. I find it hard to believe that anyone who finds himself in the position of being the most powerful man in the world isn't smart in some way, even if not in a deep intellectual sense. Of course, the unasked question is whether or not an intellectual is what you want in a president. But there have even been questions about whether or not Bush had some learning disorders like dyslexia (which some Air Force pilots insist is impossible if he was flying fighter jets for the Texas Air Guard at any time in his life.

But I came across a couple of interesting facts about Al Gore. How many of you knew that he failed out of divinity school?? Or that he later failed out of law school?? Certainly these are important details..but they seem to have been left out of this "who's smarter?" debate.

Anyway...just thought this was interesting.

------------------

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

Interesting Question.

George W. graduated from Yale, then went on to get a masters from the Harvard School of Business. Neither school is exactly soft.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

12. RocketMan Tex

Excellent! I completely agree with you!

------------------

Huh?

Right!

[This message has been edited by RocketMan Tex (edited September 20, 2000).]

13. TB3

TB3 Member

Jimmy Carter was a horrible President, because he did not understand economics, and he placated tyrants and dictators.

Ronald Reagan, on the other hand, is one of our 5 greatest Presidents ever. His dedication to the theories of supply-side economics, peace through strength, and personal responsibility are the MAIN reason, in my humble opinion, for our success today.

------------------

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

TB3: Interesting. Regan was popular, but last year I watched a roundtable discussion with about 10 very well-respected presidential historians (from Harvard, Yale, etc - the usual) on C-SPAN discussing who they believed history would regard as the greatest presidents of the millenium.

They placed Jefferson, Lincoln, Eisenhower, FDR among others in their top 10. Clinton ranked in the lower middle range. Carter was slightly above the middle. They placed Regan in their bottom 10 saying that he may have been one of the most popular presidents in his time but that he was far more style than substance. His campaign against welfare mothers alone places him under my personal scrutiny.

I am not here to debate the merits of presidential accomplishments or failures, however.

I said Carter possessed all the qualities I respect in a president.

Carter may not have been popular but, as the historians above pointed out, he may have worked harder than any other president. He was routinely up until 3 or 4am working on budget numbers and foreign policy much of which was thwarted by a tough congress and a transitional time in America.

As you may have read, I do not consider strength as a necessary quality. In addition, the president gets much of the credit (like Clinton) for economic prosperity when, usually, it is the economists that do the work. Hell, even George Bush called Reagan's supply-side economics "Voodoo Economics" when he ran against Reagan in the 1980 primaries (Beuller, Bueller?).

What I was pointing out in my post was that Carter represented what I considered to be the type of person I would want as president. Policy aside, I did not care for Reagan as a person. His policies are for another thread.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Clinton has been our most charismatic
    President in a while. Jeff, you cannot
    discount all of the prosperity from him.
    He to me seems to be a Good President.
    [Good President does not mean moral person
    or good person]

I look at myself and I say
    YES I am better off than I was in the
    Reagan/Bush/Carter/Ford/nixon Era
    In fact more people I know are better
    off than any time in there lives.

to attribute that all to economist and say
    this would be going on with or without Clinton
    is IMO a bit sweeping.

I think He has done something right
    and somethings wrong.

But I say he did more right than Wrong.

I like Clinton the President
    Carter the Person
    and Reagan . . .the . . ok i don't like reagan

Rocket river

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rocket River (edited September 21, 2000).]

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I assume that Bill Gates might take exception to people attributing the recovery to anything other than his release in 12/94 of one certain program his co. wrote. [​IMG]

TB3: Trickle down created an inflationary econonmy and massive deficits. The economy is stronger now because of balancing the budget (and win95 [​IMG]). Interest rates are down because banks are trying to unload money. Money is available because the government isn't borrowing it.

p.s. Bush is back. I actually watched an interview and he wasn't reserved. He spoke well. He was coherent. I'm scared.

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

18. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

When Reagan took office, the Fed Funds rate was 19.08%. When he left office, the rate was 9.12%. Supply-side economics was a lot of things, but to call it inflationary is just dead wrong.

------------------

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Of course you're right grummett.

I'm broken. I meant unjust. I'll leave my error for all to trounce on me. I can't pay attention to politics anymore. When can I watch basketball. Francis, Mobley.

Ahhhh, f@#$ it. I wish Barkley were playing again. Then I'd be sworn to have to watch.

On a brighter note, I'm getting one hell of a tax cut when Bush shows up.

On a bad note, the economy won't convince companies to pay me stupid money after Bush unloads a billion dollars onto the economy. His plan is pretty cool for poor people though, so I'll be taken care of when I'm unemployed.

Damn, it all makes so much sense now.

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

20. RocketMan Tex

You are correct. Reaganomics was not inflationary. It was recession-ary. And nearly depression-ary.

------------------

Huh?

Right!