1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bum Phillips being inducted into Titans Ring of Honor

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by alethios, Jul 14, 2021.

1. alethios

alethios Member

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. alethios

alethios Member

I know - it just stings man

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

But he coached in Houston

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And? The Texans are not the Oilers and have no connection to players and coachers from that team. None. People seems to forget that. That’s why there will never be a re-brand to the Oilers. Bum going to the ring of honor for the franchise he coach, no matter where they are located now.

bigreg likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what the Titans and their fans get out of this? There is not a single person there that has a connection with those teams or the Phillips family.

And given that @sonofbum is the main living descendant... and he does have major TEXANS ties, as do all of his offspring... it makes even less sense.

HTXSportsAddict and UTSA2step like this.
  9. body slam

body slam Member

Good for Bum.

I don't understand why the Texans don't honor Houston football legends. No need to put them in the ring of honor or anything like that. But maybe a halftime program every few years honoring 3 or 4 past Houston players. Give a little something back to the hometown fans.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just doesn't seem fair that we Houstonians have had to endure the Adams family and the McNair family as NFL owners.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They have had "Homecoming" games in the past.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He coached for the Oilers and that franchise got moved, not much you can do about that.

OT: Since the Titans don't use the Oilers moniker, anymore, while Bud Adams is deceased. Wouldn't it be possible for Houston (Cal McNair) to reclaim the rights to the Oilers name/history. It was done with both the Browns (NFL) and Hornets (NBA). I'm pretty sure people in Nashville do not have any kind of connection to the Oilers beyond 97, outside of the players on the roster (McNair, George, Matthews, Wycheck, and Del Greco) with Fisher as coach. They rose to prominence as the Titans, nothing special in the Oilers years, outside of the players.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/...were no such lawsuits,time in the near future.

14. Buck Turgidson

I'd be all for it, but you'd have to get Cal & Janice to want it and you'd have to get Bud's daughter to want to give it back. Neither are likely.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Could we at least ask him to PRAY on it.

16. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

It's wrong because it's...checks notes...FORTY F***ING YEARS after he was fired! Way to wait til he's dead to honor him, a$$holes. Although it's smart on their part, I guess. No way Bum would have been a part of this BS when he was alive.

17. Buck Turgidson

Has Son said anything?

18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210714/sports/307149959

His son, Wade Phillips, said this has special meaning for their family. He credited Strunk for keeping the Oilers alive.

"She's done things down here in Houston, and this honors all the Oilers teams really, not just my dad, but all the Oiler teams,' Wade Phillips said. "We can't thank her enough. Dad was so proud of his teams, and coaching for Bud Adams, and being with that organization and then it's carried on in Tennessee.'"

I'm gonna be honest...pretty disappointed in Wade after reading that. Sure, you publicly thank them and say it's honor, but what the hell is that about keeping the Oilers alive and honoring them? Again...IT'S BEEN 40 YEARS!

19. raining threes

I just puked in my mouth a little bit.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Face it, we all should've stuck with the Titans than place any sort of trust in this abortion of a franchise.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.